Computers for Year 10 ?? (2 Viewers)

HSC
Remember the 'promise' from Rudd about the computers?

Do you think us year 10ers will get one or whatever the policy encompasses allow us to at least use one ??

anyone have any info from teachers ??

one of my teachers said that we would be out of school by then..

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
There has been heaps of general posts of the whole laptop thing.

Dont wait around for the Rudd governement to get you a laptop, because one it probably wont happen and two if it does they are going to be bottom of the range anyway

Go buy your own :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I actually researched this ages ago. Rudd has said this very carefully and well planned. We technically should get our OWN computer BUT we aren't.

At school there will be a computer put in (or a laptop) for use at school only for each year 10 student. it will be their computer to use... unless they want to let friends use it. The laptop can't be taken home either! I was thinking Rudd would be a good Prime Minister but he's turning out to be a real CUNT.
We are also supposed to get these computers installed at school before 2010... so we should still be there, though i don't know if they will be for year 12 people.

Rudd has also taken away the bonus pay that your parents receive after completing their tax. If people don't know your parents will receive a payment around August/September for simply having you in their care. It WAS a payment of $600 per child and has been since the Howard government brought it in about 6 years ago (i think). This is NOT the baby bonus where they get about $3000 for having a child... it encourages kids to have kids.... how stupid!
I hate him for this because Mum used this to pay some things off and we will get the payment this year, but no longer after that! *GARGH!*

I am starting to miss the Howard government being in control, and I hated them but they are better than Rudd, the bitch.

HSC
if we ever do get one.i just hope year 10 get one haha

btw..aquawhite..your averaging 34 posts a day..wow

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
agirlinatutu said:
There has been heaps of general posts of the whole laptop thing.

Dont wait around for the Rudd governement to get you a laptop, because one it probably wont happen and two if it does they are going to be bottom of the range anyway

Go buy your own :)
Lol. I agree. I have my own which I am using now. I basically consider it to be my PC/Desktop computer because the desktop that we have is crap anyway and I love my laptop because its portable, fast and was cheap as chips.... $450 from eBay. Don't think it's shit coming from eBay either... it's really good and was a bargain!

I encourage people to learn how to reap the benefits of eBay. You will get really good bargains from there.

xXmuffin0manXx said:
if we ever do get one.i just hope year 10 get one haha

btw..aquawhite..your averaging 34 posts a day..wow
I love to post! I really like contributing to this community because many of you are just like... focused on school studies and is a place where I can talk about uni stuff and HSC stuff. You guys are organised and have much of your things planned like me :) Unlike all my friends which never want to listen to what I have to say because they aren't what i would call 'intelligent' (no offence to them... i love em')

I am glad that so many people are posting back on my posts too!

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Lol. I agree. I have my own which I am using now. I basically consider it to be my PC/Desktop computer because the desktop that we have is crap anyway and I love my laptop because its portable, fast and was cheap as chips.... $450 from eBay. Don't think it's shit coming from eBay either... it's really good and was a bargain!

I encourage people to learn how to reap the benefits of eBay. You will get really good bargains from there.
i dont really like second hand things..but apart from that, i do hear that what you said about ebay is true..

ill be getting a laptop in year 12 but to get a laptop as good as a pc would cost like $2000+ which is why i want rudds laptop so i can just get the money from my parents instead haha :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
ill be getting a laptop in year 12 but to get a laptop as good as a pc would cost like $2000+ which is why i want rudds laptop so i can just get the money from my parents instead haha :)
I have a really good PC but remember thats Rudd is planning to give every 9-12(??Aqua?)year student a laptop. Imagine how much that is going to cost yet Rudd cant seem to fix hospitals and whatever. They are going to be the basic of the basic laptops

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
i dont really like second hand things..but apart from that, i do hear that what you said about ebay is true..

Not really. Try looking on eBay in the 'Buy it Now' section. You will find heaps that are close or equivalent to PC level of power, harddrive capacity that are in the low $1000's or sometimes in the $100's even! I love eBay..... BUT they are turning retarded because soon you will only be able to pay through PayPal and Credit Card... I prefer the bank deposit!

agirlinatutu said:
I have a really good PC but remember thats Rudd is planning to give every 9-12(??Aqua?)year student a laptop. Imagine how much that is going to cost yet Rudd cant seem to fix hospitals and whatever. They are going to be the basic of the basic laptops
I think it's only 9-11 because those in year 12 will be leaving soon... I'm not heaps sure on what years are getting in but I know that Year 10 and apparently year 9 will get it definitely....
The truth is I think Rudd's a liar and we won't even get them.... Schools will just get money to install more computers! It's gay.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahhh, I already know about that! I have read it before... it is nice to know but with the money that your parents used to get it was spent on many other things... bills, other repayments.

When it is time to come to buying school supplies; clothes, books, maybe even a laptop most parents save away a little money for that. Because they know they will have to fork out a fair bit at the start of each school year. Plus I buy all my own things anyway. Every year since year 7 I have bought all my own school supplies.... including clothes, my laptop, books.... etc.

The ability to be able to start getting a lot of it free is pretty cool, it will help but I think the majority of parents would prefer the $600 lump sum around August... I know my Mum does.

I know something even better! Have both!

HSC
sikhman said:
lol......maybe you should read this before complaining about rudd:

and i believe its pretty stupid to judge rudd on the basis of 2 decisions made in a very narrrow area....
thank you for the info

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
sikhman said:

and i believe its pretty stupid to judge rudd on the basis of 2 decisions made in a very narrrow area....
I should actually thank you as well for posting that. I'm not sure anyone else would have know that... but it is going to encourage people to get a lot more for school.... study books. e.g. excel books for each subject (I know I am for every subject in year 11 and 12). At my school the teachers base the internal exams on these excel books; so if I remember what's in them i can ace the exam! Lol.

:D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Meh, I wouldn't wait around for it. :p

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
agirlinatutu said:
IRudd cant seem to fix hospitals and whatever
State Government resposibility.

Anywayz I read in my school newsletter that we should be getting our laptops by the end of the year. They would be pretty alright laptops as well $1000 each.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
kaz1 said:
State Government resposibility.

Anywayz I read in my school newsletter that we should be getting our laptops by the end of the year. They would be pretty alright laptops as well $1000 each.
Unless it changes apparently the laptops won't be 'ours'. They will be at the school an we can't apparently take them home. Just from class to class!

aronzak

HSC
Seems a little bit ridiculous for school students to be carrying around golden computers (1000+). Why do you need a fast/good computer, if all you are using it for is schoolwork? There was a lot of talk that the $500 bonus could just be used to buy cheap computers. And why not? Linux and Openoffice should be good enough for school use. Plus, not having an optical drive could be an advantage that it will be harder to use these for playing computer games. There are now heaps of companies making these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aquawhite said:
Unless it changes apparently the laptops won't be 'ours'. They will be at the school an we can't apparently take them home. Just from class to class!
Still better than using folders/books.

aronzak said:
Seems a little bit ridiculous for school students to be carrying around golden computers (1000+). Why do you need a fast/good computer, if all you are using it for is schoolwork? There was a lot of talk that the $500 bonus could just be used to buy cheap computers. And why not? Linux and Openoffice should be good enough for school use. Plus, not having an optical drive could be an advantage that it will be harder to use these for playing computer games. There are now heaps of companies making these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
lol

I think you meant a flash drive cause a computer without a cd drive would be incompatible with school because of cd textbooks and of course you need a flash drive if you can't take your laptops home.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It would be a lot more helpful if we revolutionized into germany lol. A lot of their work at the Gynasiums (highest ranking highschools) use laptops as the main source of information.... no textbooks... They are loaded onto the computers :D

It would be really convienent to just take a laptop to class rather than soo many books. I can type so much faster than I can write as well... plus i can screen type... looking at the screen or some sort of information without having to looks at the keyboard all the time to recognise where the keys are! I would get work done sooo easily :D

zzzz12345

HSC
sikhman said:

You do realise that this initiative will be means tested. As stated in the Herald Sun:
Under the package, which will cost $4.4 billion over four years, only families eligible for Family Tax Benefit A - those with a combined income of no more than $97,845 - will get the refund.
Read the whole article here is you want: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23694276-5012911,00.html
These days a combined income of $97,845 isn't exactly in the realms of luxury. Essentially every Rudd initiative is means tested these days. On the issue as a whole I think it's incredibly stupid to subsidise a depreciating good. The money could be much better spent then handing out subsidies for laptops which will become virtually worthless within the space of a year. If there was one thing that I learnt in commerce last year it was that you don't invest money/borrow money to invest in depreciating goods so I find the 'Laptops for Children' initiative something that is by no means economically viable.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
wouldnt it be cooler to use laptops in our exams than pen and paper?

I hope Rudd gives us our laptops, but I hardly doubt that. People need to keep their promises these days, instead of bluffing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)