lol
what actually happens if its 50/50 exact

since theres no preferences

morgan makes a decision or is there like 1 more day of campaigning

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
mr_shittles said:
It was 50.6% to 49.4% on Friday's interim count. Clear as mud. Can't be 50/50, go back to sleep!
oooh who's on 50.6 and who's 49.4??

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
community got 393, drive got 403, so the two party preferred is tight

lizbon

HSC
if u dont mind me asking, who is running the eco comp next yr? Is it Julie, the drive exec?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Bambul said:
That's not a problem under the AGM model, because each candidate brings friends who will vote for them, but will then consider each of the other positions after hearing the candidates speak. The same goes for your position. So you might get 10 friends to come along, but 90 other people who are friends of others come along too, and it is them who decide the outcome of the election after listening to you and the other candidates for the position.

Of course, this doesn't work if you are only allowed to vote for one group or another. The introduction of that was a mistake and needs to be reversed.
I was supported a model where active members go to an AGM to vote. It restricts the number of ppl who can vote and the type of person who votes in this model has knowledge of comsoc due to their experience in it and most likely an idea of what the candidate is like and whether he/she is suited for the position.

In the other model where you have an agm and allow any FCE student to vote, it becomes more of popularity. Sure your friends would have to listen to others but their purpose of going to the AGM would be to support you if your were running. Sure they may have to listen to other candidates, but not all students have a particular concern of what comsoc does. In this way, it can become more about popularity as your friends enrolled in the FCE can just rock up and vote for you.

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Sarah said:
I was supported a model where active members go to an AGM to vote. It restricts the number of ppl who can vote and the type of person who votes in this model has knowledge of comsoc due to their experience in it and most likely an idea of what the candidate is like and whether he/she is suited for the position.

In the other model where you have an agm and allow any FCE student to vote, it becomes more of popularity. Sure your friends would have to listen to others but their purpose of going to the AGM would be to support you if your were running. Sure they may have to listen to other candidates, but not all students have a particular concern of what comsoc does. In this way, it can become more about popularity as your friends enrolled in the FCE can just rock up and vote for you.
Methinks it would be difficult to differentiate between "active" and "non-active" members.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Harimau said:
Methinks it would be difficult to differentiate between "active" and "non-active" members.
Not really as long as you have a system in place that has a set criteria in defining active from non-active members. You could also keep track of (via a database or something similar) who comes to meetings and volunteers.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Sarah said:
Not really as long as you have a system in place that has a set criteria in defining active from non-active members. You could also keep track of (via a database or something similar) who comes to meetings and volunteers.
Sarah, every year's ComSoc president has a favoured candidate as successor. So Commerce students being Commerce students, if you were dodgy enough, you'd stack the active member list. Like whats done with branch stacking in politics, you get members to join up, use their votes and get over the line.

Active member voting is really to fudge, so long as nobody independent keeps an eye on it.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
lizbon said:
if u dont mind me asking, who is running the eco comp next yr? Is it Julie, the drive exec?
Julie will probably have her hands full with ComSoc next year if she wins. Lin (current Social Exec) has put her hand up for the job. I'll step down into a more junior role, and I won't be allowed in ComSoc again one the new pres comes in. (neither of them particularly like me)

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hey matt-bro, it's wenhui here.

just interested - how you did you get your RO job?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Frigid said:
hey matt-bro, it's wenhui here.

just interested - how you did you get your RO job?
ho offered it to me. those that wanted the job were not impartial, and so i was the only one left. elected unopposed LOL.

i was also an ecocomp co-ordinator, like minai, and followed in his footsteps (he was last year's RO). he did a top job under pressure last year and didn't offend anyone important.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Sarah said:

if u have that system, then cumunity wouldnt even have a team considering their pres, VP, secretary, half of their social and pretty much the rest of the team havent been to any comsoc events (camp, cruise, sports day and the up coming ball) in this year and hence would be regarded as ..non active.

furthermore, if you have a system of active and non active members, then obviously which ever circle of friends get in office will try to remain the legacy, hence showing favourtism.

for example, if the current office + active members (say been to at least 1 comsoc event per semester) then there will only be one team...and hence no election.

no matter how much one favours one team over another, at the end of the day, it's only fair that comsoc has an election with at least 2 parties, and therefore students have a choice, no matter how good or bad the choice is for comsoc's future.

mr_shittles said:
Julie will probably have her hands full with ComSoc next year if she wins. Lin (current Social Exec) has put her hand up for the job. I'll step down into a more junior role, and I won't be allowed in ComSoc again one the new pres comes in. (neither of them particularly like me)
yeah wanna do eco comp at the beginning of the year, though couldnt do it cuz of previous commitments to comsoc. i talked to julie and she def will help out here and there with eco comp. and if she gets in, likewise from me.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mr_shittles said:
I think we should collectively disaffiliate from ComSoc for 2006 (If Morgan holds his promise for a new location)

Newbie - Hmm, Guild remaining neutral in comsoc elections? that didn't really stop Gulfam and Manoj trying to sabotage last year's comsoc election.

Lin - If you need some help, I'll be around next year so just contact me if you need anything done.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
yeah comsoc doesnt have much money so there is an incentive to get a cut from eco comp's funding. so i think disaflliating would be tops. that way eco comp can acutalli have a answering machine so no more loose paper flying around the office. plus comsoc office is not exactly in working condition

and minai thanks for the offer, i am pretty sure when the time comes i will harras you, bamboo and matt a lot ahha

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I think we should collectively disaffiliate from ComSoc for 2006 (If Morgan holds his promise for a new location)

Newbie - Hmm, Guild remaining neutral in comsoc elections? that didn't really stop Gulfam and Manoj trying to sabotage last year's comsoc election.

Lin - If you need some help, I'll be around next year so just contact me if you need anything done.
how did gulfam and manoj try to sabotage? manoj doesnt even do commerce.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
§eraphim said:
how did gulfam and manoj try to sabotage? manoj doesnt even do commerce.

they tried to block the counting process. fired up all these issues with preferential voting etc same ol same old. and they wouldnt leave the comsoc office, in the end the dean + the previous president got pissed off and called in campus security and had to physically remove gulfam and manoj from comsoc office. a lot of entertainment from an onlooker but v stressful for the RO..ie: minai.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Manoj, the then-Guild president elect, was unhappy about how the election was organised (namely the lack of preference voting) - Unhappy because if preference voting was used, "his" team (Nova - made up of mostly Power affiliates - the winning Guild ticket in 2004) would basically be guaranteed victory, as there were 3 teams running and Nova + 3rd team had a preference deal. Basically, Mr. Impartial Manoj threatened to use his Guild powers to recall the election (which he couldn't do anyway, as he had no power to do that). There was a report on the controversy in last year's Tharunka.

Shawny

well minai, gulfam and manoj aren't the main players this time and newbie calls quite a few shots and his saying guild is neutral and i think its good that it stays that way

but whatever crap anyone can pull they got 48hours

but then again lot can be done in 24hours let alone 48 hours, if jack bauer can save the world, community or drive can certainly can surely extend an electoin winning gap.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
haha u guys realli should've warned me UNSW student politix is tres-dirty before i transferred... i refuse to get my hands dirty, but i realli hate this shit. all my frds seem to be involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)