• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

CONCENTRATION probs (1 Viewer)

anon0411

HSC
Hey does anyone else have concentration probs. i seriously cant study for longer than liek an hour. i just get distracted soooooooo easily and then end up giving up on my work altogether. or worse still, i do easy study which i don't need to do, just to feel like im making some progress!!! help please

metalhead_loz

HSC
I cant concentrate unless there is total silence. Right now my sister has a friend over and they are laughing, screaming and running around. Right now im just going to play guitar/read a book. I pray that she doesnt stay over tonight.

I have 7 assessments in the next 2.5 weeks.

You should take a break every hour anyway-just for 10 mins

michaeln36

HSC
yea i have trouble concentrating for long periods of time.
just do ur hour of study (or a little less), then go do something you enjoy, then go back to your study later.
You can still fit in as much study as those people who do massive 4 hour blocks, it will just be spread out over more time.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I think the "taking breaks" every hour or so is a good idea, just like when you have recess and lunch during school hours, or playing a game of soccer, where you have half-time. In the same way, taking breaks in between long hours of study is the way to go.

passion89

HSC
But when you're taking breaks try not to watch TV or go on the computer...do something productive - make yourself something to eat, do something active or listen to some music.

michaeln36

HSC
yea... its better to do those things, but hard to actually do them in practice. TV and comp are soo alluring.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
metalhead_loz said:
I cant concentrate unless there is total silence.
Same. Exactly why I'm up now, studying the most efficiently (apart from browsing forums, ahem :p) :D On Friday I had my earplugs on in maths, after failing to make my friend shut up when I'm trying to do the exercises :p

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well I have never been that desperate but when I really need to concentrate I just focus solely on what I am doing and try to mental block out external sounds as long as my room is quite, outside sound is muffled I am usually right.

metalhead_loz

HSC
Well my sisters friend stayed over and they wouldnt be quiet. I told them a million times. So yesterday was wasted, and she will be here all day today. Are all libraries closed today?

volition

arr.
HSC
maybe you can do some group study at a friends place? unless you reckon you'll get distracted there too.

gracie007

HSC
i can only study properly for about 1/2 hour. its really bad. i get low marks cause its hard for me to do work. ive tried going to different libraries but its the same. maybe i have add or something.

A l

HSC
N/A
A concentration span of an hour is perfectly normal and is around the average concentration span of a person your age.
Make sure you have a good study environment. This means NO computer should be present or turned on, NO loud music should be turned on and make sure there is minimal disturbance. If this is not possible in your home, then try your local library. Between every hour take about a 10 minute break.
One more thing, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!! You'll drive yourself into more unhealthy stress levels by procrastinating. You should allow AT LEAST one week of study time before your examinations.

anon0411

HSC
yeah but at the library i always end up talking to people...especially at the school one!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THIS :(

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
A l said:
A concentration span of an hour is perfectly normal and is around the average concentration span of a person your age.
Hmm, I'm a bit weird then, I seem to be unable to stop whatever I'm doing. I've had times when I study for seven hours straight (lunch? pfft!), but also times where I just waste three hours or four reading non-school stuff. I need to change. Somehow. x.x

A l said:
One more thing, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!! You'll drive yourself into more unhealthy stress levels by procrastinating. You should allow AT LEAST one week of study time before your examinations.
*ahem* Yes... *shifty eyes*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)