• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Conception Day 2005 (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
An outrage i say! VSU, MUSC, all this we could handle and really not care too much, but once Conception Day is tampered with..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..HEADS WILL ROLL!

zipztar

HSC
hahhahahahahahha Pot eh

MaryJane said:
How can they restrict it to MQ students? They will lose out on soo much money. And can you imagine how disgusting it would be in the Atrium with all those sweaty bodies and vomiting and smoking pot?

What is happening to the MQ we all knew and loved! :(

p.s.I heard from a girl who goes to USYD that they have already introduced VSU there from this semester onwards... has anyone else heard the same? How unfair! I wanted to keep my $178 this semester. I'm so poor.

Yeah, they have, my mate who goes to Syd Uni told me the same thang... kinda sucks, but I dont have an issue with forking out money to the union because it provides good services *cough* like the gym i never use :p
well thats a lie.. idid tuse the gym but the tennis courts there are whanged!
btw.... mary Jane.... do u smoke teh herb?

p.s. get a job u bum!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Bscienceboy, it does make it voluntary, thus I wanted to keep my $178.

Hmm... now there are conflicting posts re:USYD. I'm confused.

Zipztar, I dont smoke pot, and I have a job-I've been in retail for 5 fecking years!

zipztar

HSC
mewwwwwwwww

oh realllllyyyyy! i beeen in retail for like 1 year and a bit..... sanity :D its teh ghay!
Mary Jane is oh so sweeet

btw.. did neone else read the news posting on the staircase?!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
AsyLum said:
I read it, it was written by Phil Betts, i'd like to hear from him if he's still posting here.

As far as i got from it, it was true, and would explain why things are quite late in its planning. Furthermore, the article stated it would not be held in the grassy hills, and that it would only be in the Atrium.

And the day has been restricted to MQ students only, i was agasp and totally fucking pissed off at this, how the hell it could happen if the reports are true.

Not happy Di.
w-t-f
bscienceboi said:
How would the Atrium hold so many people :|
so many less people would go

X

xeuyrawp

science boy- I think the atrium is legally allowed to hold a maximum of 5000 people.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
science boy- I think the atrium is legally allowed to hold a maximum of 5000 people.
5000? Probably half of those if not less would be able to see anything :|

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
they hold raves in the atrium
nd ye its about 5000
but i think thats including the chillout

not that u can see anything besides the other person next to you though

Phanatic

HSC
I be Phil, the one spreading these ungodly rumours. And yes, the rumours are true!

Conception Day 2005 is Macquarie students only. I don't even think ex-students will be allowed in, but I have to verify this.

Please note this is not a SAM decision. SAM management wants Conception Day bigger and better than ever. It's pretty much the one thing they can point to and say "see what we do for you? You'll probably loose this with VSU". Even with other people paying, Conception Day loses money. Mac students will be free this year, though next year if VSU comes in I can imagine having to pay unless you become a member of SAM.

However, the order has come down from the University Management (Vice-Chancellor Di Yerbury) banning SAM from using the grass outside her offices (which is the grass area) and limiting CD to Mac students only. One can only guess why this is so: apparantly she's always hated Conception Day (though I have a photo of her on a dodgem car in 1996!), and I'd imagine it's something to do with the 'party' image Mac has (which I believe is completely unfounded - we're no longer a party Uni at all!)

The latest news is there will be a small grass area immediately outside the SAM Building (though comparitively tiny.) Conception Day will not just be in the Atrium, but all three levels of the SAM Building, including the Bar. That's something at least. They're planning for about 5,000-6,000, down from the 15,000 they had last year and the 20,000 they were hoping for this year!

For those of you that haven't heard of 180 Degrees, we're a group on campus looking out for and defending Mac issues. We're currently brainstorming ideas on how to get students involved and active in this Conception Day issue, because it is something that every Mac student feels passionate about. We're thinking about massive awareness campaigns - lecture bashing, chalking, postering, maybe a rally or two, just to let the Vice-Chancellor know how 'upset' we are. If you want to get involved, check out our thread on the issue: http://www.oneeightydegrees.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=94 - you don't have to be registered to post.

Also, if you're looking for the original article I wrote, you can find it at: http://www.oneeightydegrees.org/services/review-sem2week3.pdf (650KB, so don't do it on dialup!)

Not that I mean to flog a dead horse, but don't forget the President of SAM is Victor Ma. From what I gather they've been completely silent on the issue. SAM elections are coming up in a few weeks - nominations are open now. Victor and his cohort will be running again. Don't forget this when you go to vote!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*cry*

FUCK ING HELL... why the fuck would she do something like that, even though she's a fucking outgoing old whorebag :(

*enlists to your den of evil aka W6B 336*

zipztar

HSC
oooooo

Phil! ?Yeah i visited the 180 deg site... i swear conception day was an event that i was looking out for this year, makes me happy! lolz and also my other mates love it and they are from syd uni.... im just worried that theres not enough time to change things... less than a month? And i dont think that all people (from 1st year) know how great conception day is and why we must keep it that way..... so yeah i agree with posters and chalkings and ralleys....

Last edited:

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
this is stupid, i thought it was all bull...
why does conception day have to be limited to a building? if maximum capacity is 5k how many students are at our uni? i thought it would be more than 5k

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Question: how do we prove we're MQ students? With our ID? Or a pre-purchased something-or-other?

Because Skittled and I wont go... I wonder if we could sell our ID to some student from another uni...?? It would work better if it was just a ticket rather than photo ID obviously.. :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You've already got tickets ?

And yeah, i don't think i'll be up for it inside the buildings unless some big name bands are pulled in (unlikely)

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
think ill still go if thats the case... but itll just be shitter...
and last year we used out mq photo id mj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)