Confused over the whole Process. BA. Help please?? (1 Viewer)

js5071

HSC
I've tried to find answers in previous threads and i cant really find my answers. And some of this questions may seem a bit silly so bear with me please!

I have just been accepted into a B Arts at macquarie uni.
I have accepted sent of my info and on estudent it says before i go to the enrolment day i need to PLAN MY PROGRAM.

I dont understand what my course requirements mean.

I want to do Modern History, Politics and Education.
Do i need to consider more subjects?
Out of these courses how many units are they?
How many units do i need to make up my B arts?

Im just overall confused about the ocnstruction of a B Arts any advice would be great

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
All you need to plan is your subjects for 1st year right.
The handbook is your friend http://handbook.mq.edu.au/

This tells who how many credit points you need right http://handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2008&id=21034

This page has all the units
http://handbook.mq.edu.au/units.php?edition=2008&level=ug

Now you are full time aren't you?
Generally most full-time students do 12cp per semester, in first year your subjects will generally be 3cp so that means you need to pick 4 units per semester.
So to look at the politics units click POL then pick some 100 level units, do the same for the other subjects until you have chosen 4 subjects for each semester (make sure you check what semester each subject is running) then when you go in to enrol the people there will check it for you and answer any questions you have

If you have any more questions ask and I'll see if I can help

maka

HSC
In addition to what Mel said.

Your enrolment day will serve a worthwhile purpose in allowing each student the ability to design their course structure.

This means that you can go to the enrolment day and speak to some academic advisors and tell them you plan a major in X Y Z. They will say compulsory units are A B C and to do these compulsory units you need to complete the 100/200 level units L M N

(note: the letters after major, compulsory units and 100/200 level units are meant to read like that because for each different study pattern they will each change)

But seriously dont stress! I went into my academic advice last year as a transfer student to BBA/LAW and I had little to no idea what I needed to do. Trust the people there because it is there job to design programs etc.

HSC
hello guys, im doing arts/laws and i'm really confused!
... because i have law part of my degree, does that mean i cant major in as many subjects for the arts part? i want to do ancient and modern history, and english...
melsc, you're doing arts/laws, right?
could you please help >_<

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
There will be people there on the day to help you so don't stress too much they just want you to have an idea of the subjects you want to do

You will still be able to do subjects from different areas, generally as a law student you can only fit in one major but that wont stop you from doing a few subjects in a different area. Keep in mind what major you are likely to pick to make sure you include the subjects you need to do.

Ultimately as a law student you will do less arts subjects than a full arts unit, your program will look something like this:

1st Year
Semester 1
LAW114
ARTS subject 1
Arts subject 2
Arts subject 3

Semester 2
LAW104 (or whatever they have changed it to)
ARTS subject 1
Arts subject 2
Arts subject 3

2nd Year
Semester 1
LAW205
LAW204
ARTS subject 1
Arts subject 2

Semester 2
LAW203
LAW206
ARTS subject 1
Arts subject 2

3rd year
Semester 1
LAW314
LAW315
ARTS subject 1
Arts subject 2

Semester 2
LAW316
LAW317
ARTS subject 1
Arts subject 2

Then all law subjects for 4th and 5th year.

Does that help

HSC
^^ yep, thanks.
but, how come for 1st and 2nd year there are more arts subjects than law subjects?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You finish your first degree in 3 years, then its pretty much Law for the 4th and 5th year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)