• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

confused with what the sylabus is asking. please help (1 Viewer)

stompalot

HSC
im just a little confused about what the sylabus requires.

in the HSC Islam depth study, students are required to "describe ONE significant practice within Islam drawn from....(I chose funeral ceremony)".

then, the syllabus asks "analyse the significance of this practice for both the individual and the Muslim community"

this is what confuses me. what is meant by the "individual"?. i assumed it was the person who died, however, a certain textbook (i think it could be Maquarie) says that the individual is the mourner. does anyone know who the individual is refering too? i really wish it was made clearer.

Stewii

HSC
'the individual': don't be fooled by singular terminology, individual can be more than one person. It refers to both the mourner and the deceased, but with more emphasis on the mourner - funerals are for the living, so how the tradition consoles them, etc.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Stewii said:
'the individual': don't be fooled by singular terminology, individual can be more than one person. It refers to both the mourner and the deceased, but with more emphasis on the mourner - funerals are for the living, so how the tradition consoles them, etc.
as mentioned...it depends on the ritual

Obviously funerals are referring to the living more than the dead though you can link th ebeliefs pertaining to Islamic beliefs about death, what happens, why we die etc to the deceased if you want.

BTW..the individual is meant as a singular not plural as mentioned above...the plural refers to the community, individual means the person underoing the ritual so in this case, the emphasis is on the community or the mourners

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)