Confused!! (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
Ok I'm studying Imaginative Journeys for English,
I think i've been overthinking the whole concept and now i'm confused!

AHHHHHHHH i'm frustrated ok step by step.
1) i pick up at text
2) i know i'm studing journeys
3) now what!? what am i doing!!!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME VERY SIMPLY WHAT IS AN IMAGINTIVE JOURNEY AND WHAT I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR IN MY SUPPOSEDLY "IMAGINTIVE JOURNEY" TEXTS?

btw i doing minority report, and :eek: the day of the triffids...

HSC
No idea what those texts are, but I have done imaginative journeys (even if I did suck at it)

Try not to overthink the concept any more than you need to. Break it down. For starters brainstorm the idea of what a journey is and what it involves (for example it could be change, growth, it makes you think, or something). This will help construct your basic argument/idea on journeys in general that you can use for essays.

Then read the elective statement. I think it says something like "Imaginative journeys take the responder into worlds of imagination, speculation and inspiration." It should have it in those booklets they give you. You have to relate those elements of imaginative journeys to your basic concept of journeys.

Then when you look at texts, you have to explain HOW composers take the responder on a journey that is to say how the journey is reflected (through techniques), an example of that, what it means, and the effect it has on the responder. So you have to look at the different techniques that composers use...

Hope that helps

L

littlewing69

It's a rubbish concept which makes no sense. Spend less time trying to make sense of the idea and more time just hitting the syllabus points with your essays. AOS is honestly the most painful, stupid shit you will have to deal with at HSC level.

jazzmuzik

HSC
Ok thats not very clear.. heres the problem.

1) physical journeys are about quests etc right?

2) Inner journeys are like self discovery etc?

3) Imaginative journeys are.....?????

imaginative to us? to the main character? what are they?

and also how does analysing techniques show how its that style?

sorry try and decipher my angry stream of conciousness

someone just tell me black and white what i'm meant to be doing... :(

L

littlewing69

jazzmuzik said:
someone just tell me black and white what i'm meant to be doing... :(

1.) Define the imaginative journey as you wish, within the parameters of the syllabus. I defined it as the journey an imaginative text leads its audience on.

2.) Look into what the reader gains from this. Typical English bullshit of expanded horizons, self-discovery bla bla bla.

3.) Explain how the author causes this, with typical English techniques crap, but link it to that eternally nebulous idea of the "Imaginative Journey".

I'm sorry, but the unit really is horrible, and you will probably never make sense of it. I didn't. But then again, I got Band 6 in it, so it's possible to bluff your way through :)

HSC
i guess there is little difference between imaginative journeys and just thinking. imaginative journeys are journeys of the mind..doesnt require actual moving..so it could be like someone having a dream, retelling a story of thoughts, fantasy or even hallucinations!

it doesnt matter who its imaginative to, as long as its imaginative and has an impact on the reader, makes them consider their own journeys or something.

Last edited:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i had a major problem with this ....as in linking wth i was meant to do.

currently in a rush rite now, but gimme a shout and if u like i can PM you sometime (soon) with what i figured out =)

gud luck.

jake-89

HSC
Hey,
u said u got a band 6? ... what texts did u use? and would it be possible to swing me some help on some concepts that cover the wizard of oz, holy grail - hunters and collectors and the tempest? ..and what stimulus text wood u reccomend because i dont know what one relates to the texts just chosen. i dont think any of them do??
cheers.

L

littlewing69

jake-89 said:
Hey,
u said u got a band 6? ... what texts did u use? and would it be possible to swing me some help on some concepts that cover the wizard of oz, holy grail - hunters and collectors and the tempest? ..and what stimulus text wood u reccomend because i dont know what one relates to the texts just chosen. i dont think any of them do??
cheers.

Tempest, Wind in the Willows, Ulysses by Tennyson and Alice in Wonderland. The texts you use are essentially irrelevant. Just define the concept, and know how it is used by the composer, and analyse how this is done. It's all a matter of how convincingly you can bullshit.

jazzmuzik

HSC
Thanks all for your help! :wave:
My earlier frustration has now subsided making room for rational thought :)
All these suggestions make perfect sense and i get it now.

I think my problem was that i was thinking of "imaginative journeys" as a genre (like speculative fiction in extension) therefore i thought there was a list of strict features of an imaginitive journey which you had to find within each text. Instead of drawing your own conclusions as to what you think it is...

yay "the world makes sense again'... well not entirely but enough for me to complete this unit.
thanks again
jazz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)