• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Confused >< (1 Viewer)

ArRemient

HSC
Enrolling is a bit confusing, so many confusing terms and the UWS site isn't helpful so I need to know...

1. What is an elective unit?

2. Do I pick units for just the autumn semester or both semesters?

3. When is the deadline for picking units?

Thanks in advance!

TypeR

HSC
1. "Elective Unit" is a free unit you choose to complete as part of your course. It can be any unit from any School (faculty). Generally, your electives should be related to your course but you can choose whatever unit you want.

2. At the Advisory Session, they said its better to enrol in both semesters and if you would like to change any units later on then you can easily modify the units ur enrolled in.

3. The deadline (or Census Date as they call it @ UWS) is 31st of March for Autumn Semester and 31st of August for Spring Semester.

I hope I helped abit. :)

lyra_t

HSC
I'm still confused with enrolling and the whole structure of uni courses. it's really doing my head in. so there are different steps in enrollment and say I'm doing a BA - Psychology. in the Unit-Sets section, would I put Key Program - Psychology? and that's it?

The Unit-Selection is probably the most confusing for me though. I have no idea what I'm supposed to put down. Do I just put down the electives, or do I also have to include the Core Components codes in it too?

Unit Set

ArRemient

HSC
Thanks a heap TypeR yeah you helped heaps

I definitely understand how you feel! Its seriously complicated stuff. As for unit selection I've picked the 4 B.A core units and the 2 core units of Humanities. Still gotta pick electives though. But yeah I think you need to put down both core component and elective codes. Still not 100% sure about all this but TypeR and other people I've asked say we have plenty of time to decide so I'm not gonna worry too much =)

Last edited:

TypeR

HSC
No worries ArRemient :)

Lyra_t, yes you would put in Key Program Psychology. Not sure about your Unit Selection as its abit confusing for Psychology but I guess you put in 101184.1 Psychology: Human Behaviour and an Elective unit.

lyra_t

HSC
Thanks, TypeR.

So once I've chosen my Unit Selections, do I get to choose my timetable?

-juLie-

meep
HSC
You can start picking what times you want now because youll need to know what times you want for tutorial registration which starts next week. But the times you want are not guarenteed as its basically 1st in gets it.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
The best way to go about planning your timetable is to work out what times you want to attend tutes and lectures and avoid any clashes, then put these in a spreadsheet document. On the day of tutorial registration, sign into PlatformWeb early to ensure the page is loaded by time your school tute slots open. Tutes fill up within a matter of minutes so if you want a good time, you need to be online on the dot! Then change your spreadsheet around with your finalised times.

lyra_t

HSC
Thanks for the info guys. My only problem now is selecting an elective unit.

I was looking at the Psychology Prescribed Pool here: Unit Set (at the bottom), and most of them - if not all - says something about Prerequisites and/or Special Requirements Prerequisites. Does that mean I'm unable to choose it or what? Which electives am I able to do?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
A lot of those psych electives are level 200 and 300 subjects and cannot be attempted until you have done the prerequisite subjects for them. You'll do Human Behaviour and Behavioural Science in your first year, so you'll be able to choose subjects which has these two subjects as prerequisites in your second year.

For your elective unit, you can choose any level 100 subject, doesn't matter what school it's from. In my first year my electives were a social science subject (Inequality and Human Rights) and an arts subject with a sociological aspect (Everyday Life). Just choose what interests you :)

ETA: If you want to be able to do a psychological subject for your elective which is level 100, the school of Social Sciences offers some introductory Social Psychology subjects such as Interpersonal Interaction.

Last edited:

snow_fanatzi

HSC
same. im having problem with this as well since my keyprogram is psychology and they dont have those major or submajor like the humanties subject.

i think you choose two core subjects: eg: australia and the world plus media and visual cultures then the psychology subject (human behaviour) then the electives which i have no idea what it is... but correct me if im wrong. this is for teaching btw so its probably different.

lyra_t

HSC
A lot of those psych electives are level 200 and 300 subjects and cannot be attempted until you have done the prerequisite subjects for them. You'll do Human Behaviour and Behavioural Science in your first year, so you'll be able to choose subjects which has these two subjects as prerequisites in your second year.

For your elective unit, you can choose any level 100 subject, doesn't matter what school it's from. In my first year my electives were a social science subject (Inequality and Human Rights) and an arts subject with a sociological aspect (Everyday Life). Just choose what interests you :)

ETA: If you want to be able to do a psychological subject for your elective which is level 100, the school of Social Sciences offers some introductory Social Psychology subjects such as Interpersonal Interaction.
I'm sorry, what do you mean by level 100 subject? And do you mean that I could choose any elective unit from, say, Humanities? Is that what you mean? I can't seem to find the social science subjects you speak of...

But thanks A LOT for helping, you've made things much more clearer to me. :)

lyra_t

HSC
same. im having problem with this as well since my keyprogram is psychology and they dont have those major or submajor like the humanties subject.

i think you choose two core subjects: eg: australia and the world plus media and visual cultures then the psychology subject (human behaviour) then the electives which i have no idea what it is... but correct me if im wrong. this is for teaching btw so its probably different.
I'm on the same boat as you. I'm just having problems with the elective unit. Although ambermorn has explained it making it more clear, I just have a couple of small queries which I asked in the previous post.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Oh cool :) yep level 100 = first year introductory subject. Yep you can choose an elective from the school of humanities and languages and keep doing these subjects to count toward an elective major or submajor, or do something completely different, I knew a social science student doing Human Behaviour for his elective, for example.

I think Interpersonal Interaction is offered at Penrith campus, you may not have it at Bankstown.

I did all your subjects last semester hehe, gotta sell my textbooks for it this year. Australia and the World, Media and Visual Cultures, Human Behaviour and my elective was Everyday Life.

lyra_t

HSC
Oh okay :)

Well I'm a bit undecided between choosing Everyday Life and English Text and Writing. I read through the description of Everyday Life and it looks interesting. Though, I'm not too sure about it. I enjoy english, but I'm not that great when it comes to creative writing. Sooo... I'm quite confused!

LKY

HSC
N/A
I am so confused with "elective" Im doing engineering, can I choose whatever I like outside engineering courses as long as i met the prerequisite requirement?

One more question here. Can I change my key program next session once I chose it? I saw a box "end" in unit sets.

VU-Nit

HSC
One more question here. Can I change my key program next session once I chose it? I saw a box "end" in unit sets.
yeah u can end it and choose another
if you change your mind and want to do the KP you initially chose then u can reinstate it as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)