• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

confusedd?? (1 Viewer)

bmwz4

HSC
should i be feeling guilty for using someone elses study notes for a certain topic??? i dont have time to write out my own for the last topic and i need to study....i dont know if its cheating or totally fine

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
It's totally fine because you're using it as a guide for your own personal study. If you were to plagerise then it is wrong, but in your case it's ok.

Season

HSC
The thing about study notes is the most benefit you get out of them- is making them... still good anyway but you get my drift.

Honestly- no one touches my study notes, they're mine and I'm pretty competitive, but if I do let someone else use them, its not cheating... but that person owes me a big favour.

So yeah,... def not cheating but I suggest you do something really nice to who you borrowed them from.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Well, depends if the person you're borrowing them from gave you permission to do so in the first place, i.e: if they're from this site then it would be fine seeing as people submitted them in voluntarily. It would be wrong if you stole them or something, lol.

HSC
Hmm, I get pretty annoyed when people ask to photocopy my notes. It just feels as if I've done all the work, and all they're going to do is learn it.

Also, you'll probably benefit little. It's said that you remember your own handwriting, your own highlighting, and so on...but I dunno. That's how it is for me, anyway.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hmmm, im a bit iffy about it. If someone borrowed my notes that I had worked painstakingly at making than i would be really, really pissed off.

But on the other hand I find myself using the BoS notes that people have submitted. I dont use them straight out, I use them as well as my own classnotes, textbooks and excel study guides to make my syllabus summaries, so the notes serve as a resource rather than something that I am using directly.

I think the benifit is greater when you make you own, because through going through the process of searching for the correct information, summarising it, writing it down etc, you are more likely to remember it.

Anyway, personally I think it is wrong to just use somones notes, but if you use them as a guide in making your own notes it is fine. It depends on your own moral standards, this is just my belief. Its not a huge issue to me (unless you wanna borrow mine lol) and if you dont think it is wrong I wont consider you having low moral standards or anything.

Just think to yourself, how would you feel if you were the person whose study notes someone was using? Would you feel cheated or would you be fine with it?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Just think to yourself, how would you feel if you were the person whose study notes someone was using? Would you feel cheated or would you be fine with it?
I would feel perfectly fine with it, because they would be helping me out with a subject I'm not good at :) Win-win situation :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)