Congratulations for achieving average marks (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I hate threads like these. People who post their UAI and then attempt graciousness by congratulating people who didn't achieve nearly as high a UAI as them. Perhaps the thread would have been better received if the poster hadn't included her UAI, but just explained the situation of getting a high UAI but not comparative to her peers. People who post their high UAIs and then imply disappointment just set themselves up to look like pricks in need of an ego stroke over the internet.

hsc=suicide

HSC
dagwoman said:
I hate threads like these. People who post their UAI and then attempt graciousness by congratulating people who didn't achieve nearly as high a UAI as them. Perhaps the thread would have been better received if the poster hadn't included her UAI, but just explained the situation of getting a high UAI but not comparative to her peers. People who post their high UAIs and then imply disappointment just set themselves up to look like pricks in need of an ego stroke over the internet.
ditto.

Etheral

HSC
This might seem off topic a little

But I heard (from a friend) that this year's UAI cutoffs will fall for most subjects (total amount of declining cutoffs will be greater than previous trends). I don't know how he obtained this information or if it's at all reliable, but did someone else hear this?

If so that'd be great for all of us.

HSC
dagwoman said:
Hmmm I duno...If someone wrote about how they got a <relatively speaking> mediocre mark and didnt post up the UAI they got, the first thing I would ask is what they got. I empathise with the threadmaker person in a sense. I go to a selective school, half the year got 90+ and I got 81, so it kinda belittles my mark doesnt it, even if my mark is half decent? Although i'm not too fussed, I got into what I wanted.

I think you should be thankful for the intelligence that you have and the opportuities that you recieved throughout high school. Think of people like me in rural areas who don't have access to half of the things that you would get at your preppy little selective school and who actually ahve to work hard BY OURSELVES to get a UAI anywhere near 90, let alone 100. Then try having teachers that don't really care and see how you go.

Shut the fuck up and stop complaining over your mark. Perhaps someone who was hoping for a 90 and got a 60 should have posted this thread. Not you.
In spite of what I said before, I totally agree with this. Well not the preppy selective school part. I can't speak for all selective school but mines a hole. I took for granted all the awesome resources I had and never really used them. And the wrong person did make the thread. I empathise but the point is there is really only a right to complain if you didn't get into what you wanted to with a high UAI, or what that preson said. At the end of the day It's just a number, it may hurt a little now but alot of those overachievers, you will never see again anyway. the person got in what they wanted so yeah...although might I add that this thread was probably created for overachieving people such as the person themself.

Last edited:
HSC
i happened to get a great uai, but seriously, its not a ticket to success.
100 UAI person? First of all well done to you. Second of all you're right as much as a low UAI isn't the end of the world, a high UAI isn't everything either. Sure it all helps, but UAI isn't the only way into uni. For those wanting to do medicine, you could get a 100 UAI, but if you screw up the interview and the UMAT, simple, you don't get in. what does it matter that you got a 100 UAI? You didn't get in. I don't know if that has happened to anyone, point is its not everything.

I know of a few people who wanted to do medicine and although their UAI was awesome, its not good enough to get into it. So although yes there are ways around that, it sets them back a year or a few. It's not a good feeling falling short is it? It's all about doing what you have to do to do what you want to do.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
if you went to a selective school, private school, or had tutoring , you should all just shut the fuck up and get out of this thread. no one wants to know how great you did because you had a better oppurtunity than others. the people who should be congratulated are those who acheived what they expected of themselves.
I dont even know why you created this thread for. To show us how shit we are and then show off your UAI? fuck off. Most people had to work for their UAI the hard way, think yourself lucky then maybe you can get somewhere in society.

HSC
hsc=suicide said:
i see it as kinda silly that someone who only wants to do a BSc with a UAI of 75 put sooo much effort into achieving a 99. perhaps thats just silly of me.
Scholarships. My friend needed 83 or something, got 99.5 and now not only has got into the course he wanted but he too has a scholarship.

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
angmor said:
if you went to a selective school, private school, or had tutoring , you should all just shut the fuck up and get out of this thread. no one wants to know how great you did because you had a better oppurtunity than others. the people who should be congratulated are those who acheived what they expected of themselves.
I dont even know why you created this thread for. To show us how shit we are and then show off your UAI? fuck off. Most people had to work for their UAI the hard way, think yourself lucky then maybe you can get somewhere in society.
<speaking as calmly as humany possible>

just because you go to a private school doesnt mean you are going to have all these great opportunites.
a small private school in the country, least the one my sister goes to, is not going to have beta resources than the public school across the road.
Compartively:
Public school- air con and heating
- more subject choices
- more reliable internet
- more computers per person
- set up for a wide range of kids, ie, more diversity
- new textbooks

Private school- no aircon or cooling system. limited heating
- fewer subject coices, but some offered in conjunction wiht other schools in the area
- internet constantly dropping out, for up to a week at a time
- computers so bad, that they r all 2nd hand off another local school
- too few computers, sharing neceassry when in classes
- textbooks so old my sisetr and i actually discovered our mothers name in one.

okay, this is a massive thread, i apologize, i guess im just trying to ake a point. oh, and further, outve all ym siblings there r some in private, some in catholic and some in public schools.

on a far more important note

Congratulations for anyone who achieved their HSC!!!!!!

HSC
ybnormal said:
Private school- no aircon or cooling system. limited heating
- fewer subject coices, but some offered in conjunction wiht other schools in the area
- internet constantly dropping out, for up to a week at a time
- computers so bad, that they r all 2nd hand off another local school
- too few computers, sharing neceassry when in classes
- textbooks so old my sisetr and i actually discovered our mothers name in one.
WTF? What sort of private school is this?! How much are your parents paying to send you here? If thats the conditions of the private school why dont you go to the school who gave the computers to the private school you currently go to? Or some other local school. The way I see it its so not worth it.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
watatank said:
WTF? What sort of private school is this?! How much are your parents paying to send you here? If thats the conditions of the private school why dont you go to the school who gave the computers to the private school you currently go to? Or some other local school. The way I see it its so not worth it.
Hahaha...i found that post quite strange - or believed it to be totally full of shit...I went to a private school-
We had heating, most buildings airconditioned, not that vast a choice of subjects however there were many, high speed internet, new computers with current hardware and software requirements for a school environment. And we had new textbooks like 90% of the time (some people chose to buy second hand ones however it was rare.)...I am confused - private schools leave it up to you to buy the books and they don't have some text book swap system like government schools have...

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
its not bullshit. believe me. tho, i cannot offer u ne proof, so sorry.
the fees r cheap
and my sister changed schools after being buliied at the public one.
find the school to fit the student.
it does get good results tho, and my sisters happy there, whereas my brother was happy at that public one acroos the road.
oh, it ha sbeen pointed out to me the library is better. i cant offer any actual comparison tho.

newaz, my main point was, dont say people form private schools have beta resources etc, they may not.

L

littlewing69

angmor said:

Bullshit.

angmor

HSC
so thats all you can come up with as a retort to my post? i laugh at you. give me a better reply than that and ill tell you what i think of your 'bullshit'.

L

littlewing69

angmor said:
so thats all you can come up with as a retort to my post? i laugh at you. give me a better reply than that and ill tell you what i think of your 'bullshit'.

I worked damn hard for my UAI. Sure, the atmosphere of my private school probably helped, but basically I learnt the HSC material on my own at the library with a few textbooks. I wasn't handed my UAI on a silver platter...

angmor

HSC
littlewing69 said:
I worked damn hard for my UAI. Sure, the atmosphere of my private school probably helped, but basically I learnt the HSC material on my own at the library with a few textbooks. I wasn't handed my UAI on a silver platter...

you fool. you see, thats the mentality of people who go to private schools. 'you learnt your own hsc material with a few textbooks' . isnt that what we all did? gratz on your amazing acheivement - you actually studied on your own.
most people go to schools where their school teachers dont give a shit, you expect us to do better than them? if you went to a private school then you probably had less disadvantages - so dont give me shit most people here have to face financial, family problems, etc. - the last thing we need to hear is snotty brats who come to brag about how hard they worked for their uai - fuck off.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
angmor said:
you fool. you see, thats the mentality of people who go to private schools. 'you learnt your own hsc material with a few textbooks' . isnt that what we all did? gratz on your amazing acheivement - you actually studied on your own.
most people go to schools where their school teachers dont give a shit, you expect us to do better than them? if you went to a private school then you probably had less disadvantages - so dont give me shit most people here have to face financial, family problems, etc. - the last thing we need to hear is snotty brats who come to brag about how hard they worked for their uai - fuck off.
wtf...how can u call him a snotty brat? How do you know both his parents weren't working and making their own sacrifices to send him to a private school? So many parents face financial problems to send their children to private schools and daily make personal sacrifices which may have even led to family problems...

No matter whether you go to a private or public school - the end result is what you make out of the HSC, as what littlewing sed.

rusty123

HSC
angmor said:
THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT. "isn't that what we all did?" - that is what he is pointing out, that he studied the same as everyone else rather than being "handed his uai on a silver platter".

"most people go to schools where their school teachers dont give a shit, you expect us to do better than them?" - try speaking english mate.

"the last thing we need to hear is snotty brats who come to brag about how hard they worked for their uai" - ironically that is precisely what you're doing.

it seems like you must have not achieved the uai you wanted and are just being bitter about it. so, as you so eloquently put it, "fuck off".

L

littlewing69

angmor said:

Sure, mate. I just turned up and osmotically absorbed a good UAI. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

PrettyVacant

HSC
I agree with the threadmaker, because a UAI like that at my school would be pretty "average" so to speak. It would be around the median, depending on the year.

And personally, I would be enthralled if I achieved a mark like that. But it'd be a bit of rain on your parade when you're just deemed "average" at your school, and not acknowledged as well as you should have been.

Now let's not get all antsy about selective and private schools and whatnot. Selective schools don't get that much of an advantage - they're still public schools and don't get much more funding. The quality of the teachers compared to local schools would be debatable, but I'm assuming that all schools have good teachers and not-so-good teachers. So what is the advantage selective schools get? It's just a bunch of smart people (in general) crammed together in one space so the "average" is higher. Plus it hurts your academic ego when really really smart people beat you :( But whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)