• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Conical Pendulum Questions (1 Viewer)

Yellow

I was just wondering how hard the conical pendulum questions are in the HSC exam. The ones in Fitzpatrick are real killers. The Conics questions in Fitz are really hard also and I heard that they aren't as hard as what you get in the exam. So I'm thinking, maybe it's the same for Conical Pendulum. Is it?

spice girl

magic mirror
Conics and conical pendulums aren't the same.

Conics are 2-d geometry involving ellipses, parabolas, hyperbolas, and it's basically algebraic or co-ordinate geometry.

Conical pendulums are basically masses hanging on a string, swinging around in circles, involving mechanics of gravitational force, centripetal force, and any reaction or tension forces.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
argh bastard conical pendulums.....we got a question on that in my Physics trial, deriving the formula for its force or sumthing werido

Alex

Hello people, just like to post a message to all you 4-unit mathematicians that I seriously pity you guys and hope you have some sanity left when you complete your HSC. :p

LETS DO SOME MORE UNREAL NUMBERS SHALL WE :p

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Alex
Hello people, just like to post a message to all you 4-unit mathematicians that I seriously pity you guys and hope you have some sanity left when you complete your HSC. :p
Actually I'm having fun at 4unit. It's the only subject which is challenging.

Nelly

No wonder, I haven't done Mechanics yet. I was quite scared as I thought it was part of Conics which we are yet to do.

Dumbarse

conic pendulums arent that hard, u do em pratically the same way every time, similar to banked tracks, u just have to realise which forces to use and draw a triangle to represent them, find the sin and cos then divide to get a tan, there are some variations but nothing too bizzare
we are just getting into binomial theorem, now thats bizzare

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
argh bastard conical pendulums.....we got a question on that in my Physics trial, deriving the formula for its force or sumthing werido
I was about to say this aswell.

Fitzpatrick may have it, but have you checked with syllubus?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Just starting conical pendulums.

Can't be that hard if you do physics.

And dont all 4U students do physics ...

Wait, I feel a thread coming on ...

Lugia

But in physics we DON'T do conical pendulum!!!

The only thing I think that might relate physics to 4 u maths is projectile motion. But the physics questions are so easy! all you do is just substituting numbers into your formulae. You should look at the fitzpatric questions on projectile motion. Every one of them for me is like WTF !!! :mad: I have officially gave up trying to do them! Probably end up skipping it if there is one in the HSC.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Lugia
But in physics we DON'T do conical pendulum!!!

The only thing I think that might relate physics to 4 u maths is projectile motion. But the physics questions are so easy! all you do is just substituting numbers into your formulae. You should look at the fitzpatric questions on projectile motion. Every one of them for me is like WTF !!! :mad: I have officially gave up trying to do them! Probably end up skipping it if there is one in the HSC.
I don't know about Fitz, I do the Coroneos ones. I find that they become difficult under time pressure because you need to maintain a very firm idea of what is happening, but the theory is pretty simple. The visualisation is the killer!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
We've got the 4u book by Arnold, and the questions in it on conical pendulums are easy!
All we had to do was to apply v^2 / r = g tan a or something similar.
I feel unsettled by some of your statements people, could you give a hard example from your textbooks?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
We've got the 4u book by Arnold, and the questions in it on conical pendulums are easy!
All we had to do was to apply v^2 / r = g tan a or something similar.
I feel unsettled by some of your statements people, could you give a hard example from your textbooks?
It IS Poker!!!

Roobs

HSC
im doing Fitz and shit yes i find it harder than the real HSC q's
mainly because in the HSC they start you out with a diagram and the angles marked, and Fitz gives you a verbal scenario you have to interperet....just like this:

Q14:

"a particle of mass 2kg at the end of a string 2.5 m long is suspended from a point vetrically above the highest point of a smooth sphere radius 2.5m. It describes a horizontal circle of radius 1.5m on the surface of the sphere. if the angular velocity is 2 radians/second find the tension in the string and the force exerted on the spere. What is the least angular velocity that will ensure there is no force on the sphere?"

anyone who can help me out on that one will be muchly appreciated......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)