Conics Questions (1 Viewer)

lychnobity

HSC
1) Given the ellipse x2/16 + y2/9 = 1. The normal at P(4 cos @, 3 sin @) meets the x-axis in A and the y-axis in B.
Find the locus of the midpoint of AB.

2) Given the hyperbola 2x2 - y2 = 2 and the circle (x - √3)2 + y2 = 4.
Find the angle @ if the tangent at P(sec @, √2 tan @) is also a tangent to the circle.

3) 4 points: P, Q, R, S lie on the rectangular hyperbola xy = c2. Let their parameters be p, q, r and s respectively. ie P(cp, c/p) etc.
The tangent at P meets the x-axis in A and the y-axis in B.
The tangent at Q is parallel to the tangent at P, and meets the x-axis in C and the y-axis in D.
b) Find the coordinates of A, B, C, D in terms of p.
c) Find the of area of ABCD
d) Find the eqn of the chord PQ
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
I may very well be wrong, but here it is.

Dumbledore

HSC
question 2 the algebra gets very messy and i'm incredibly slow at typing, but a way to solve it is find the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola in terms of x,y and @, then solve simultaneously with the circle eliminating y, so u get the equation in terms of x and @ (it will be a quadratic) then use the discriminant and make it = 0 and solve for @.

lychnobity

HSC
question 2 the algebra gets very messy and i'm incredibly slow at typing, but a way to solve it is find the equation of the tangent to the hyperbola in terms of x,y and @, then solve simultaneously with the circle eliminating y, so u get the equation in terms of x and @ (it will be a quadratic) then use the discriminant and make it = 0 and solve for @.
Edited the original post, @ is an angle...

Dumbledore

HSC
Edited the original post, @ is an angle...
@ is both the parameter and the angle, for example say x^2+y^2=1 is represented by the parametric co ordiantes x=cos@, y= sin@ or P(cos@, sin@)
lets say the angle in the circle is pi/4, you substitue that into the equation as the parameter and you will get x = cos(pi/4) = 1/sqrt(2) and y = sin(pi/4) = 1/sqrt(2) so it also represents the point on the graph. Or you could say it is the angle which subtends a line to the point on the graph.

the method i used does work

jet

Banned
HSC
@ is both the parameter and the angle, for example say x^2+y^2=1 is represented by the parametric co ordiantes x=cos@, y= sin@ or P(cos@, sin@)
lets say the angle in the circle is pi/4, you substitue that into the equation as the parameter and you will get x = cos(pi/4) = 1/sqrt(2) and y = sin(pi/4) = 1/sqrt(2) so it also represents the point on the graph. Or you could say it is the angle which subtends a line to the point on the graph.

the method i used does work
The method you said is the way I was trying it, but the algebra got the best of me and I gave up.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
2) Given the hyperbola 2x2 - y2 = 2 and the circle (x - √3)2 + y2 = 4.

Find the angle @ if the tangent at P(sec @, √2 tan @) is also a tangent to the circle.
Since no one answered this question, I'll post the solution although I guess it's been awhile since this was posted. Btw, LaTeX is so hard to use for me..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)