Connections in getting an internship/vacation work (1 Viewer)

converge

HSC
N/A
Hi guys

Would having a connection with someone in an organisation you wish to work for be beneficial in any way? Is it something employers rely heavily upon and would it give yourself an advantage over other candidates? Any thoughts or comments would be deeply appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bored of ur mum

HSC
Depends on how senior they are and whether they have any say in the hiring process, but I'd imagine a good referral is always beneficial

It can't be a disadvantage

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say at internship level it's unlikely to make much difference unless said person is either very senior (eg partner level) or influential in the recruitment process. Realistically it never hurts to have a good referral but be careful that they truly are a good referral as opposed to just someone you know who works there. I've seen instances of referrals gone wrong whereby a person was listed but when asked they wouldn't recommend the person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
If your connection is a senior person in the firm who will one day be say the Foreign Minister of this country or Treasurer of this country, it's pretty usful.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If your connection is a senior person in the firm who will one day be say the Foreign Minister of this country or Treasurer of this country, it's pretty usful.
Some of the guys I have met over here in Europe studied in the university where Mario Monti lectured. I guess he'd be a pretty good connection to have :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I've just been involved in a couple of rounds of Vacationer interviews at EY, I can tell you that it doesn't make much difference - post-interviews, all us interviewers and observers debrief each candidate and in one instance recently, the niece of a senior partner was highlighted during the discussion, but she was assessed in the same way as everyone else.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've just been involved in a couple of rounds of Vacationer interviews at EY, I can tell you that it doesn't make much difference - post-interviews, all us interviewers and observers debrief each candidate and in one instance recently, the niece of a senior partner was highlighted during the discussion, but she was assessed in the same way as everyone else.
I'd say the influence it can have varies firm to firm, and also depends on the relationship but like Minai said (welcome back btw) it's unlikely to make much of a difference unless the relationship is significant. There are obviously a lot more politics to it than that which are best kept off the internet, but I'd say that it is still largely driven by the candidate's own merit.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea well I've been involved in processes where people don't need to come in for an interview.

We just offered them a job. And then got a $3m fee from their dad.

If you think partners are here to promote equality or justice, think again. Try telling him your dad can offer him $3m.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure what it's like in your workplace but at least for us historically where someone went out of their way to influence the process, they were the ones who had to wear the cost of such a choice (i.e. the person went into their headcount/division and hence FTE costs).

is a roflcopter
HSC
connections are what runs the world. im very very sure this is prevalent globally in all industries and in all firms, guaranteed

i have seen it happen both ways as mentioned above

1. Intern Candidate is connected to the boss.

Newbie gets the resume, gets told to do the interview. Prior to this happening, the boss comes to Newbie, says "oh btw thats my son/niece/neighbor". Newbie does the interview, does not take any notes and backfills it later with the correct answers. Boss asks "how did they go". Newbie goes "Sir they were a standout candidate, definitely a tick from me". Boss is happy and doesnt feel like he is rorting the process, Newbie gets brownie points.

2. Intern Candidate is connected to a potential client
Newbie gets the resume, sees a giant shiny gold sticker on the top left, marked as "client referral". Newbie gets called into the bosse's office, gets a rundown of who their father/mother/uncle/aunt is. (examples include CEOs, high ranking government officials, ultra high networth families). Newbie calls the candidate, invites them to coffee/lunch/dinner, gets them excited about the internship. During the internship, the boss and newbie make it a personal mission to ensure that the candidate enjoys all the benefits of the job (models and bottles) while letting them have interesting work such as taking them to all the meetings and introducing them as a key team member. Newbie makes sure no actual internship bitch work ever goes to them. Full time offer guaranteed. Bank gets mandated on the IPO. Fees fees fees. Boss is happy. Newbie gets brownie points.

Sadly i was neither 1 or 2 and had to work for it. At first I was like wtf this is BS, but slowly i have come to realize that just how the world works.
Dont hate the player hate the game.

Last edited:
B

BradHodge

Not surprisingly, the majority of paid internships are found in the world of big business. Consulting, investment banking, commercial banking, accounting, information technology, venture capital, entertainment, and marketing offer some of the highest paying internships.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure what it's like in your workplace but at least for us historically where someone went out of their way to influence the process, they were the ones who had to wear the cost of such a choice (i.e. the person went into their headcount/division and hence FTE costs).
No one would be wearing the cost if they brought in $3m by rorting the process.

Of course if they rorted the process to give some dude a $50k job but in turn earned the firm nothing, they should be fired.

Last time my boss told me I can stay home and do nothing and be called Super Duper Executive Director if I liked if I brought in $10m every year.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Wholeheartedly agree with what newbie said. Connections can take you a long way if the connections you have happen to be a senior employee within the organisation. In saying that, I would consider myself example who was very fortunate enough to score a job at a reputable firm through connection. However, you have to be relatively decent to score a job through connection anyway because connection wouldn't be willing to give you a job if you are total crack-head.

In saying that, getting a job through connection at an entry level is quite rare and you have to be at the right place at the right time (which is difficult) no matter how good you are.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
whos your daddy? (literally lol).

yeah look i mean connections cant last you forever, its always quid pro quo and eventually when they run out you gotta stand on your own two feet.
and if anything most of the times those guys that come in via connections work double the effort because they want to prove themselves and they are pretty smart since its genetic anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)