Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

Lexi

HSC
N/A
I am the Greatest!

Look at that! Out of pure pity for me, I have resolved a angstie argument between timyates_87 and ujuphleg! Geez, at times I'm glad that my patheticness comes in handy. This is one of them.

Oh, to respond to both of your comments; I'm going for piano, (I was going to go for trumpet, but I would prefer to get my qualifications on piano) and I do know all of the technical stuff and aural, it'll just be hard to prove it.

Speaking of which- is anyone going to the open day? Who knows, I might see you there!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
YAY a BOSers meet up, im going to open day everyone should, i might even perform there

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Lexi said:
Look at that! Out of pure pity for me, I have resolved a angstie argument between timyates_87 and ujuphleg! Geez, at times I'm glad that my patheticness comes in handy. This is one of them.
i don't know about resolved, because i'm pretty sure tims last comment was pure sarcasm, but if hes genuine then great. and it wasn't out of pity for you Lexi.

piano major.... mate do you know what you are getting yourself into? Audition requirements are:

a)Technical requirements
-all scales - major and minor both forms in thirds, sixths (four octaves) and double octaves (2 octaves)
-all contrary motion scales major and harmonic minor (two octaves)
- all arpeggios major and minor plust their inversions (four octaves)
- all dominant seventh arpeggios plus their inversions (four octaves)
-any chromatic scale in minor double thirds - hands seperatley (two octaves)

b)A program of five works
-J.S. Bach: A Prelude and Fugue from 48 Preludes and Fugues
-A completle sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert
-A composition by Chopin, Schumann, Liszt or similar Romantic or any impressionist composer
- A composition by a major 20th century composer (excluding Debussy, Rachmaninov, Ravel and Scriabin)
-One Chopin Etude (excluding Op. 10 No. 6 and Op. 25 No. 7 and the three posthumous Etudes)
c)Sight reading.

If you want a Diploma it should all be from memory. If normal than just three from memory. Parts of things will be selected by the audition panel.

You have your work cut out for you. Enjoy!!

Lexi

HSC
N/A
Oh. Holy. Crap.

I thought I could just play my nice, pretty, normal repetoire!! DAMN! I could play all of the scales easy! But the pieces ... No way. I mean, I'm working on my HSC pieces, and stuff learning 5 totally new pieces! Well, 4 - I already play a composition by a major 20th century composer ...

*Sighs* On to University of New South Wales! What I do to become a music teacher ... *Shakes head*

Luvs.

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
not sure if this is answering anyone's questions but just putting my understanding up for anyone whos interested...

obviously the con bases it more on the audition than the UAI. So if they're e.g. choosing between two people of about the same standard they're gonna pick the one with the higher UAI. They're not going to discriminate against your UAi if you're a great musician, unless your UAI is particularly low for their standards, maybe under 80 or so. To be considered for a scholarship i think you have to get above 90.

also clearing up about the the B mus studies/Arts degree - Bachelor of Music Studies is a course at the con, more generalised and if you like, less advanced than the B mus. Sydney uni also has their own Music department in Arts. This is confusing, cos in the B mus studies/Arts degree, you are doing the b mus studies at the con, and Arts subjects at Syd Uni main campus...

BUT...
they require you to do a certain number of credit points in the Music department in Arts at the main campus as well. probably so they don't lose all their good musicians to the con i'm guessing. So really, you're doing 2 different music courses (one at usyd and one at the con). If you go to the arts dep. site at Usyd it tells you how many credit points they require you to do in each department for the course.

Lexi

HSC
N/A
So who's headed to the Conservatorium open day this Saturday? I'm going ... And then the family's going to see the Lion King performance ... Can't wait!

serenesorrow

They only do acoustic guitar at the conservatorium don't they?

That's pretty unfair for the neoclassical electric players.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yeah, its only classical guitar unless you are after jazz? In which case, there is a Jazz Performance course at the con, but i think thats still classical. And its REALLY hard to get into. I know this guy who toured with the Whitlams and Matchbox 20, also played with Galapagos Duck and Swing City and still didn't get in. So yeah. I guess they don't offer electric because they only want classical musicians. From my understanding i think its UNSW and Wollongong that do contemporary music courses... but don't quote me on that. Consult the UAC guide. If you want to do electrc guitar at tertiary level, maybe you might want to look at the Australian Music Academy... I understand they do many contemporary music courses.

For everyone, the Con website is really good to see auditions requirements and stuff:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/conmusic/tertiary_t.html

you can see the Majors availiable for the various degrees and what the audition criteria is. I think people should stop worrying about their UAI so much as to how good a muso they are. Thats why they have an audition and a music skills test. If they didn't care, they wouldn't have them.

Finally, theres and application form there too. Due date is 30th September 2004.

Hope this all helped...

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
go to a really easy uni like southern cross uni!
they offer contemporary music and you only have to know AMEb third grade theory and not even have to do music as a course at high school!
so good, though southern cross is a bit of a *BLAHHH* university compared to the sydney con and griffith (queensland con)...

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
serenesorrow said:
They only do acoustic guitar at the conservatorium don't they?

That's pretty unfair for the neoclassical electric players.
yeah, and bass players :(
i was filling in my application form for UQ music course when i realised they stated "orchestral instruments preferred"

Abraxus

HSC
I was at the Open Day yesterday and talked to the lady at the Con booth. She gave me a general overview of everything that you guys have mentioned in this thread, and gave me an actual sheet that most of you seem to have quoted from. She didn't stress too much on UAI cutoffs, just the audition and your choice of course and to just tell you the requirements in terms of music skill and dedication.

What I'm still unfamiliar with is what specific careers other than teaching that Music can get you into? I love Music and see myself doing nothing else in Uni, and its a question my parents ask me a lot and I find myself unable to answer. Help anyone?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i'd love to do music too, but the unemployment rate is a bit scary (around 40% for new graduates)
well, you could do a double degree - combine music with law (most unis) or commerce (only at Australian National Uni i think) you could do things that doesn't really involve playing music much. it's alot less interesting than actually playing of course but it's got a better chance of you actually getting work.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Crikket said:
i'd love to do music too, but the unemployment rate is a bit scary (around 40% for new graduates)
well, you could do a double degree - combine music with law (most unis) or commerce (only at Australian National Uni i think) you could do things that doesn't really involve playing music much. it's alot less interesting than actually playing of course but it's got a better chance of you actually getting work.
yeah im thinking of doing the double degree at ANU - the Bmus/BArts (visual) so i can become a musician and photograhpher or artist or something like that ....

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
At newcastle uni, which is the one i hope to go to, they dont do a double degree in music and medical radiography, which is the course i want to do. but after i finish the radiography, i want to go to study music there.

lord chumpley

HSC
arts/music studies

has anyone heard of the bachelor of arts/bachelor of music studies and the sydney conservatorium? it's kind of half and half, you can do music plus the basic arts course, only difference is that it's 5 years. do you think it'd be worth it? i just don't want to limit my careers to music alone...i'd like to do history or science as well.
liz

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
hey,
i was thinking about doing that course cos it sounds perfect - but i decided not to after finding out more about it, cos it didn't suit me cos of a few things:
-you're pretty much at the con only the 1st few years, then u do the arts degree in the last couple of yrs; and u can't really swap it round
-along with music studies at the con, u ALSO have to do a major in the music in the arts faculty at sydney, so u can only really choose 1 major apart from music

and a number of other things it doesnt say in the course description - but yeah it still sounds pretty mad, so if it suits u then go for it! :D

(i'm going for arts at syd, cos i can always transfer to arts/mus studies if i find i'd rather do that after the first few yrs..)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)