Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

RJO1988

HSC
champo14 said:
Hey I was wondering from anyone in the Jazz course if the Aptitude test is on the same day as your audition. If not, when is it?

They say the auditions are on from 26 Nov- 7 Dec
Heya. The Jazz Apt. test I think is on the same day as your audition if I can remember. (long time ago for me :D) It'll specify specifially when you get a letter from the Con saying, "Your audition date is blah and this is where you do it etc etc." and the Jazz Apt. test will be mentioned there. There should be a list of dates. Maybe you have a choice? not sure...

Check out this website (don't know if you're a drummer or not but it applies to everyone who is doing the Jazz Apt. test) http://www.gordonrytmeister.com/ and click on lessons... and lesson number 2. "Lesson 2 outlines the audition requirements for entry into the Sydney Conservatorium of Music Jazz Studies program for Drum Kit players." (and more)

Hope this helps.

RJO1988

HSC
sarahpettigrove said:
i'm applying for b mus (perf) and i know that the prerequisitiy thingies are mus 2 or ameb muscianship grade 6. i play oboe (ameb grade 6) and i've done ameb theory grade 4 but our school doesn't offer mus 2 aon i only did mus 1. do i have any chance of getting in? i'm also applying for anu b mus cause its closer. does anyone know the standards for anu? pls help... i'm kinda stressing
Hi there! It's funny that the Con can make you think that if you don't do these particular things, it's not possible to get into the Con. THAT IS NOT THE CASE!! PLENTY!! of Music 1 students around the Con... pretty darn good ones as well!! Basically the deal with saying "ameb musicianship grade 6 and ameb greade 6" is to give you an idea what they'll be doing at the Con and more hard stuff. That's where they'll start. Grade 6 is not hard AT ALL and no you don't have to do those grades in order to get into the Con. I did music 2 and Ext. Mus. in Composition and never did those theory or musicianship ameb stuff and I'm now doing a Perf. degree. So don't stress!! NEVER STRESS!! :D And to answer you're question, you have the same exact chances of getting into the Con as any other Music 2 + Ext. Mus. students. Practice your butt-off for the audition and impress them at first sight and you'll be in!!

Regarding with ANU, it has an alright music department. Pretty small compared to Sydney, Melbourne or QLD. But it's okay! It has it's reputation actually in the woodwind department (as my friend). So there you go :D

Hope this helps!! All the very best with everything!!

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
to get in to thesydney con i read my entry and uai booklet and the uai is non-applicable because it really all comes down to your audition and how well you perform......BUT THAT IS IF YOU ARE DOING A PERFORMANCE MODULE IN YOU DEGREE. for anything other than this im not sure.....but of course it is still good to try and get a high uai for a backup...you never know what can happen

cheers

humiliation

HSC
sorry if this has already been answered (not bothered sifting through all those posts) but what do they look for in the 3 composition pieces that are supposed to be submitted. Music is very subjective of course so i'd like some sort of criteria that they look for

smartrosa

HSC
i go to the Conservatorium high school and i know lots of people at the con so i have heaps of insight into the stuff that goes on at the con.

Its a small uni, its very unique with a great atmosphere. I know a lot about the brass department coz i play horn, and they are all very relaxed, the brass students are heaps of fun who take their work very seriously, and work very hard.

The teachers are really fantastic, they are cater to your needs and they are the best reason to go there, if u can get a great teacher.

There has been a lot of fuss about the Dean, i personally think, and so do a lot of other people, that she is a retard. But the good thing is that the instrument teachers dont really care about her and all they want to do is focus on you and your playing.

THe ensemble work is really fun, doing orchestra and chamber music etc... and if your really passionate and work really hard then going to the Con is THE best way of getting into the system of the music world.
Like the SSO and the AOBO use brass players quite a bit when they need them, as well as orchestras around australia, this usually happens through your teacher who knows when you have come to the right stage.

Dont think its too conservative. Yes everyone works their asses off and there are some amazing players but everyone there is so nice and relaxed, so its a great creative atmosphere.

-=Matt=-1

HSC
Hey I had my oboe audition today.
How has everyones auditions been going?

evilelmo_2005

HSC
I wonder if a student who studies music 2 at school and only eighth grade piano and 4th grade theory who can play AmusA level pieces can get into the con for performance:confused:

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
Have you actually recieved your Amus? And I think grade 4 theory is a bit low, but check out the con prerequisites booklet thingy for more info :)

Lina3

HSC
Hi, this is just a question. I am doing piano 7th grade next year and theory 6th Grade. By yr 12, I will be doing 8th grade piano and 7th grade theory. Would that be enough to have a chance of getting in? Or are they looking for a higher level, practically??

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
Hello! Does anybody know what kind of things they ask for the musicology interview? Mine is next week because I'll be in England during the main audition/interview period. But yes, any advice would be much appreciated!!! Grazie :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)