• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Consider this -- Is all you need a degree? (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
Eh, actually, yea there IS a B Science (Advanced) course in UWS and funnily enuff, it had the highest cutoff in 2003 (97.00 UAI), miles higher then the next rival Uni cutoff!......:p :D
Only due to lack of places:

Science (Advanced) @ USyd 96.35
Science (Advanced Maths) @ USyd 98.65

Remember guys, higher UAI doesn't mean better course.

(Note: If miles is 0.65, then I stand corrected)

santaslayer

HSC
And where do u base that argument on?
Could it not of been due to the popular demand for the course at UWS?

Ok, let me base your logic with an example, LoLz, :

USYD law is only higher then UOW Law because of a lack of places! :p

santaslayer

HSC
Note: and yes, 0.65 is QUITE significant...
try for a place in Science if you were 0.65 under the cut off.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Eh, actually, yea there IS a B Science (Advanced) course in UWS and funnily enuff, it had the highest cutoff in 2003 (97.00 UAI), miles higher then the next rival Uni cutoff!......:p :D
hey so does that mean, that ppl. wif 97 uai actually applied to uws science ova say usyd science? :eek:

santaslayer

HSC
I believe that would be the case...
But I'm also speculating that this happened because heaps of people wanted to get a scholarship there as well...5 of my friends had that intention, and they all got it apparently...! :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
I believe that would be the case...
But I'm also speculating that this happened because heaps of people wanted to get a scholarship there as well...5 of my friends had that intention, and they all got it apparently...! :)
and what uai did they get? :S

saves.the.day

HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
honestly? i would go the UOW'er
I too would go for a UOW'er too if it were a comparrison for law degrees.

I am sure a number of employers will agree with me. If you take a look at the "Good universities Guide 2002 edition" you will read that the employment ratio for law graduates for this uni was 100%.

That, in my opinion is very impressive, which says alot about the graduates from UOW.

I myself am going to UNSW so my comments are not biased toward my own uni if thats what you are thinking.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I'm not doing a little spiel on why UOW is one of the greatest universities around.... but when it comes to employment, UOW graduates do very well finding jobs once they've finished. The uni puts a lot of effort into promoting career fairs, attracting businesses for cadetship positions and stuff like that. UOW does a lot in regards of just not teaching you a degree, but also preparing you and helping you into the workforce successfully.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Not many people will walk out of uni with a telephone number for an income but theres this thing called working your way up the corporate ladder. And to do that, the first thing you need is to find a job so you can start climbing the ladder.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by saves.the.day
I too would go for a UOW'er too if it were a comparrison for law degrees.

I am sure a number of employers will agree with me. If you take a look at the "Good universities Guide 2002 edition" you will read that the employment ratio for law graduates for this uni was 100%.

That, in my opinion is very impressive, which says alot about the graduates from UOW.

I myself am going to UNSW so my comments are not biased toward my own uni if thats what you are thinking.
You, my friend, are a legend :p

Wanna come to UOW now? :D

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Raiks
I'm not doing a little spiel on why UOW is one of the greatest universities around.... but when it comes to employment, UOW graduates do very well finding jobs once they've finished. The uni puts a lot of effort into promoting career fairs, attracting businesses for cadetship positions and stuff like that. UOW does a lot in regards of just not teaching you a degree, but also preparing you and helping you into the workforce successfully.
:uhhuh:....i went to the careers fair, all the big companies were there...even British American Tabacoo Company.:p

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey so does that mean, that ppl. wif 97 uai actually applied to uws science ova say usyd science? :eek:
Use your brain for once man.

It's a combination of limited places, and popularity of course. The UAI provides insight into NEITHER.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Note: and yes, 0.65 is QUITE significant...
try for a place in Science if you were 0.65 under the cut off.
That means there's on differentiation. If you get 99.55 and wanted to do law, then 0.05 was miles.

If you got 33.25, then 66.35 is miles.

Wow, any score is miles. Great definition there.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Use your brain for once man.

It's a combination of limited places, and popularity of course. The UAI provides insight into NEITHER.
wtf? The UAI is designed to provide nsight'into the 'popularity '(DEMAND) and 'limited places'(SUPPLY) of courses!

wtf r u talking about? :rolleyes:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
That means there's on differentiation. If you get 99.55 and wanted to do law, then 0.05 was miles.

If you got 33.25, then 66.35 is miles.

Wow, any score is miles. Great definition there.
1) yes, 0.05 means that quite a number of people beat u in the HSC!
No, 99.5 could get u into UNSW law, which is probably better than USYD law IMO and in the opinions of many other people, namely, CM_Tutor!

2) Well yes, if you were comparing only these 2 people , 33.25 and 66.35, then the latter was miles ahead of Mr 33.25.! :rolleyes:

Try not to contradict yourself by giving me a good example to work off in future. :rolleyes:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
wtf? The UAI is designed to provide nsight'into the 'popularity '(DEMAND) and 'limited places'(SUPPLY) of courses!

wtf r u talking about? :rolleyes:
God you lawyers, you're not following.

Here's the gist.

It's a combination of both, thus the UAI provides insight into neither singularly, only both as a whole.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
1) yes, 0.05 means that quite a number of people beat u in the HSC!
No, 99.5 could get u into UNSW law, which is probably better than USYD law IMO and in the opinions of many other people, namely, CM_Tutor!

2) Well yes, if you were comparing only these 2 people , 33.25 and 66.35, then the latter was miles ahead of Mr 33.25.! :rolleyes:

Try not to contradict yourself by giving me a good example to work off in future. :rolleyes:
But you're justifying miles by "Missing out on the course they wanted" which is a silly definition where we can see the 99.55 ISN'T miles and the 33.25 IS MILES.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
0.05 means 40 extra ppl beat you... out of like 60000+

edit: Honestly, scholarships aside, how many ppl would go2 UOW for science if they got 97s? and if Bob got 99.6 would he go to UNSW or Maq Law?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)