Consulting from UTS? (1 Viewer)

Kolmias

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm planning to go to UTS next year for business and I'm interested in breaking into consulting.

If I got an HD average, had great extracurriculars and good work experience, is it possible for a UTS student to break into MBB or a well known mid tier (like AT Kearney)?

I've looked into UNSW and based on my current marks, I could probably get in but it's about an 1 and 40 minutes each way from my house.

Kolmias

HSC
Wait, UNSW has a CBD campus?! WTF!

This changes everything omg

Kolmias

HSC
Wait, it's for post grad only. Kensington is the worst place for a campus

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
If I got an HD average, had great extracurriculars and good work experience, is it possible for a UTS student to break into MBB or a well known mid tier (like AT Kearney)?
Pls. HD average, great ECs and relevant work experience? Much easier said than done.

That said, it is possible to have that kind of CV. But people at USYD/UNSW can do those as well, so why would MBB's hire from UTS?

Kolmias

HSC
Pls. HD average, great ECs and relevant work experience? Much easier said than done.

That said, it is possible to have that kind of CV. But people at USYD/UNSW can do those as well, so why would MBB's hire from UTS?
But most USyd/UNSW students don't though?

Uni reputation and prestige has no real impact in NSW if you got to USyd, UNSW, MQ or UTS for Business/Commerce. You could say presitge matters for IB/MC but that's more perception bias as the best students are more likely to go to USyd or UNSW. If you look on LinkedIn, you can see Macquarie students who are international at investment banks like JP Morgan.

The only issue with UTS is that it's not an FMAA member.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Uni reputation and prestige has no real impact in NSW if you got to USyd, UNSW, MQ or UTS for Business/Commerce. You could say presitge matters for IB/MC but that's more perception bias as the best students are more likely to go to USyd or UNSW. If you look on LinkedIn, you can see Macquarie students who are international at investment banks like JP Morgan.

Might be possible to do some application process to get UTS to become a member?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

If you're like a UTS BAcc Co-op scholar who's interned at multiple accounting/banking firms, for example, your value is definitely up there.

FMAA is more of a finance/banking society. If we're talking about management consulting, UNSW probably has the most consulting societies (UCC, 180D, BusinessOne, UMCG, GCG)

180 degrees consulting is arguably the most important consulting club - 180D is available at USYD, UNSW, Macquarie University, ANU and WSU/UWS. However, it's not available at UTS. Prior to BusinessOne (a consulting club originating from UNSW and expanded into other universities including USYD and UTS), UTS essentially had 0 consulting presence (club-wise) from what I'm aware.

Hey guys,

I'm planning to go to UTS next year for business and I'm interested in breaking into consulting.

I've looked into UNSW and based on my current marks, I could probably get in but it's about an 1 and 40 minutes each way from my house.
LinkedIn is probably your friend here if you want to find UTS alumni at MBB and other strategy consulting firms. Statistically, I imagine it is much more easier to find UNSW/USYD alumni at MBB or mid-tier strategy houses like ATK/Oliver Wyman/LEK/Nous/PJP/Strategy&/Monitor Deloitte/etc.

I'm not in the consulting or recruitment industry but I have heard (in the past) that UTS wasn't/isn't even listed as a university (in the drop-down list) for students applying for particular consulting (or investment banking) firms. Increasingly, your choice of university shouldn't rule you out from management consulting/investment banking. Nevertheless, speak to people in the industry (if you're too scared to do so, speak to university students who know about consulting or are part of consulting clubs/societies).

That being said, UTS Business will definitely not prevent you from going for Big 4 consulting/advisory.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How far is it for you to get to UTS?

Without going into stigmas/stereotypes about the academic rigour or quality of teaching or the brand at each university, I thought both UNSW and UTS are not too far apart. In both cases you'd be getting off the train at Central but with UNSW you'd need to take the bus (or the lightrail if/when it's complete!) vs. walking underground to the UTS campus. I don't think the difference in time saved is that significant.

Kolmias

HSC
How far is it for you to get to UTS?

Without going into stigmas/stereotypes about the academic rigour or quality of teaching or the brand at each university, I thought both UNSW and UTS are not too far apart. In both cases you'd be getting off the train at Central but with UNSW you'd need to take the bus (or the lightrail if/when it's complete!) vs. walking underground to the UTS campus. I don't think the difference in time saved is that significant.

UNSW - 1 hour and 48 minutes by train and bus
UTS - 1 hour and 25 minutes

it's not so much the distance, it's more the location of unsw. apparently buses back to central from unsw have a pretty bad and infrequent timetable

if i do commerce, then i could schedule my classes to be in specific days.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
23 mins difference doesn't sound too bad (although I guess that means 46 mins each day). That being said, I was in a similar position to you and so was my best friend from high school. I chose UNSW, he chose UTS. He later transferred to UNSW commerce.

I think the buses are regular enough that you don't worry about timetables and just show up on Eddy Ave - but then, I graduate a while back and now that there's lots of roadwork, it's hard to say.

Regardless, if that's the small difference in travel time, I personally would choose the uni which you feel offers you the best prospects/value. Don't just choose convenience.

Lopo

HSC

it's not so much the distance, it's more the location of unsw. apparently buses back to central from unsw have a pretty bad and infrequent timetable

if i do commerce, then i could schedule my classes to be in specific days.
The inconsistency and extra commute time for UNSW definitely became an issue for me and why I transferred to usyd. It's more than just an extra 30 minutes, it affected my experience with the Uni, wanting to get out asap and not attending uni events. It will be different with light rail next year but I don't know how much better it will be.

Why not choose usyd? It's got all the perks of being a 'top' uni just like unsw.

mrshandil

HSC
Hi Friends,

To quell the debate on whether you can get interviews at MBB/Tier 2 at UTS. There isn't any recruiting bias (at least in consulting), and the lack of representation is just because UNSW/USYD naturally have more motivated, higher-achieving students with more experience - which make them easier to hire. However, if you're high-achieving and you go to UTS, your university won't stop you from getting an interview.

The criteria needed to get a first round interview is the same.

For Tier 2:
- 75+ WAM (ideally 80+)
- 1-2 F500/ASX 100 internships ideally (A.T. Kearney even puts this explicitly in their criteria)
- Good EC's, Exec of a Club, Volunteering, Consulting EC's.
- Weaknesses in Marks/Experience can be complemented by strong performances in other categories. (i.e. Good Marks + No Exp OR Good Exp + Okay Marks).

For MBB:
- In addition to the criteria for Tier 2, I'd say just increase the WAM requirement to 80+ at the minimum (that said, I know someone who got a BCG first round interview with a 77 WAM [but studied Combined Law at UTS + Big4 Consulting Internship + Volunteering at the UN].
- Having good brand names here won't hurt either [i.e. an IB internship/Google etc.]

The Hardest Part:
- Isn't getting an interview. It's doing well (which means doing cases well + your behavioural).
- Your creds don't mean shit if you can't do a case, have the social skills of a potato, or can't handle stress interviews.

I'm not too sure pre-2016, but UTS has definitely stepped up its presence in Consulting. Alongside the Consulting Club, there is also now the UTS Case Team https://www.facebook.com/UTSCaseTeam/ (which is essentially UNSW's ICC).

My friends at UTS have had no problem getting MBB/Tier 2 & Boutique interviews & offers. And this year alone, we've gone from 1-2 offers in the previous year, to 6-8 graduating with offers across Tier 2, MBB & Elite Boutiques [LEK, Nous, S& & BCG Specifically]. That said, everyone who has received an offer is either in UTS Case Team or Consulting Club or is a BAcc. So if you are going to UTS, make sure you join those clubs or try to get into the BAcc Degree.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)