Contemplating a degree change.. (1 Viewer)

Bongos

HSC
I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Business at UTS and I'm starting to think that this may be a mistake. I was originally trying to decide between Business, with a major in Marketing Communications or Public Communications with an advertising major.

I am a creative thinker with an interest in social media, politics and international affairs.

I feel like I am more suited to PubCom because it follows a more creative advertising route, but I'm being told if I change my job prospects would severely dwindle.

What would you do? change? if so why, if not why ?

Thank you and any help is appreciated !

Flop21

HSC
It seems like you would be more interested in doing marketing. I honestly have no idea what sort of degrees there are in marketing, and what majors etc. but I know marketing would require you being creative and taking advantage of what is going on in the world and identifying trends in the world.

I can't remember who, but someone mentioned to me once that employers are starting to prefer people with more specific degrees e.g. finance, marketing... instead of a general business degree. I have no idea if this is true.

But I would assume marketing people would be in demand since every good business has a marketing department / needs marketing.

tntn45

HSC
I honestly have no idea what sort of degrees there are in marketing, and what majors etc. but I know marketing would require you being creative and taking advantage of what is going on in the world and identifying trends in the world.??

We provide fast success in Testking toefl test sample dumps exam by using our high quality Testking nclex questions and answers prep resources. We offer up-to-dated millercollege dumps with definite guarantee of network+ training success

Last edited:

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
If I wasn't enjoying the degree, and thought that I also wouldn't enjoy the job prospects, I would change degrees.

You might be more suited to marketing, international studies, journalism, media. But I don't know about the job prospects for those. Talk to an academic/careers advisor?

Bongos

HSC
Hey guys!

Thanks

Public Communication also encompasses media, journalism etc. It's just at UTS you do a communications degree with a focus on one field. PubCom has a focus on advertising. Many uni's usually offer just a Bachelor of Communication whilst at uts it's like a Bachelor of Communication in Public Communication/.

I think I'll change because this PubCom offers a variety of things to study, which I think would benefit me in the long run. I'll probs minor in Media studies.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys!

Thanks

Public Communication also encompasses media, journalism etc. It's just at UTS you do a communications degree with a focus on one field. PubCom has a focus on advertising. Many uni's usually offer just a Bachelor of Communication whilst at uts it's like a Bachelor of Communication in Public Communication/.

I think I'll change because this PubCom offers a variety of things to study, which I think would benefit me in the long run. I'll probs minor in Media studies.
Do you have the needed gpa?

Bongos

HSC
I'm in first semester, first year so I dont think it matters. The second semester offers come out in April, before any of my results come in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)