• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Contest by Matthew Reilly (Matthew Reilly thread) (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

I have finally read Scarecrow, and although some may think I have problems, I thought the book was absolutely fantastic. I didn't put that book down until I finished it. :D

Best $20 I've spent in a long while.

Anyways, The way I'd rank Reilly's books:

1. Ice Station
2. Scarecrow
3. Area 7
4. Contest
5. Temple

I am yet to read Hover Car Racer. I'll wait for paperback.

J

jhakka

On hardcovers: I have a thing about my books where I dislike inconsistency in size/cover/cover style. I'm a bit annoyed that I don't have the newer covers for Contest, Ice Station and Temple, and it would annoy me infinitely if I had Hover Car Racer in hardcover while the others were paperback.

On Temple: I just found that the story moved a bit too slowly for me. I didn't not like it, but in an action story, I thought that it should move a bit faster than that.

In all honesty, there wasn't much between Contest and Temple, but if I'm going to rank them, I can't really give an equal ranking. Contest, being his first novel, lacked a little in style, but it was engaging, while Temple bored me at times.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Contest was the first Matthew Reilly book i read and it's one of my favourites! There was constant action and you weren't sure what to expect next.

I didn't like Temple that much because it was too Indiana Jones type and that doesn't seem to suit Scarecrow (can't remember his name Shane ___ ?). It's been a long time since i read it but it seemed like they were on a quest for some hidden treasure and they had to find their way through caves, use the map correctly and interpret the correct symbols/markers.

Ice Station would be my favourite one so far.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Scarecrow (Shane Scholfield) wasn't in Temple :p. Ice Station would have to be my favourite, too. The latest Scarecrow book, 'Scarecrow', was just a little too far over the top for my liking.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Scarecrow (Shane Scholfield) wasn't in Temple :p. Ice Station would have to be my favourite, too. The latest Scarecrow book, 'Scarecrow', was just a little too far over the top for my liking.
Lol... oh right then forgot Scarecrow wasn't in it. Yep it's definately been a long time since i've read it.

I thought Scarecrow was alright. Better than Area 7. Even though it was sad that a particular character was killed off, at least it shows that the plotlines characters are evolving.

J

jhakka

Generator said:
Although it wasn't realistic, I liked the pace and the fact that it was just action. I like how, as he's written more, he's been able to incorporate character development and relationships into the action.

He was over the top at times, but I just really enjoyed the story and found that it was a nice escape from reality.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
contest was good
i read it a while ago now

the latest rielly i read was area 7, that was good too

still waiting

HSC
i cant wait to get his new one it sounds good,
i liked temple it was one of my faves with ice station, that complex 13 or alien one what ever it was was my least favourite but hes still good....

W

weetbix

i`d rank matthew reilly books up their with dan brown.. they actually made a similar story line as well..

ice station & deception point .. both in antarctica

Bookie

Banned
HSC
OMG!!!!! Matthew Reilly's next two books are complete!!!!

Soory, just wanted to chuck a fit as any Harry Potter fan would.

Now, Matthew Reilly, the legendary Aussie author with legendary books;
-Contest
-Temple
-Hover Car Racer
-Ice Station
-Area 7
-Scarecrow

All of which can be read in a day due to the excitingness of this awesome author, has finished;
-Hell Island, a 100-page novella
-7 Ancient Wonders, another fatass book which will be read in a day. Out in November though :(

He's also doing work on the Contest movie

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I guess the news was known a long time ago, but all this Harry Potter shit made me think about reading, which lead to Tolkien, Patterson, and Matt Reilly, so I checked hi site. Pretty cool. Can't wait for it to come out though.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Stupid question, but which book should i read first. Ive never read a MR book, but my friend likes them so its likely i will too. but apparenty some/all overlap? Dunno if thats true but what order to you recommend i buy them in? I dont want to buy them all in one go.

J

jhakka

There is a reference to Temple in Area 7, so if you want to go in strict cronological order, go with the order of release. Contest, Ice Station, Temple, Area 7, Scarecrow, Hover Car Racer. As Argo said, though, Hell Island comes after Scarecrow.

J

jhakka

I bought The Day My Bum Went Psycho for my brother, just to get my hands on Hell Island. I still have about 200 pages in the book I'm currently reading before I start on it, though.

J

jhakka

That's what the girl said to me today. As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind buying another book to get it. I'd probably end up paying about the same or more for the novella itself. Angus and Robertson don't seem to have Hell Island on their system, so we can't actually buy it by itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)