Continue walking 1 hr/day during HSC year? (1 Viewer)

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
It will improve your stamina which is important for 3 hour exams. If you really want results you should try out interval training (even during your walk) and body weight/heavy lifting resistance training - although it is a lot more beneficial to start that now rather than later. For instance, I got 3/4 through Insanity just before the HSC started but then realised that I was exhausted all the time.

The one thing I regret over the HSC was not exercising enough. I just got depressed and ate all the time. Results? Gaining an extra 20kg over my prelim and HSC years :(

study1234

HSC
Exercise is always good, so continue doing it. Not only does it maintain balance in your life, but also keeps your blood pumping so you can think properly. I found that during stuvac I almost went crazy, because I was just sitting at home studying (something I completely regret). Spending 1 hr of your day for exercise doesn't take much out of your day in the scheme of things: people waste hours playing games and procrastinating.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I recently started walking 1 hour every day and it feels really good. I am contemplating whether I should continue during HSC. If I do continue, will it affect my chances of getting a 99+ atar?

I don't want to gain too much weight but I also want to do well in my subjects. I'm a slow learner so I take time to learn stuff but when it clicks I'm good. All opinions welcome. :)
Do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) instead: High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) Workout - Women's Running

It will take less time and its better for you than walking in terms of weight-loss, fitness and all around health.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I recently started walking 1 hour every day and it feels really good. I am contemplating whether I should continue during HSC. If I do continue, will it affect my chances of getting a 99+ atar? Because I require it for the course I want to get into. What do you think?
I don't want to gain too much weight but I also want to do well in my subjects. I'm a slow learner so I take time to learn stuff but when it clicks I'm good. All opinions welcome. :)

I played soccer throughout HSC. I had training before exams and still smashed them.

Our first game of the season was the day before my MX2 half-yearly. I got 96%.

Generally, for me, heavy exercise and some "calming down time" (which is what I refer to as light sport such as kicking a soccer ball, riding a bike, etc.) is great just before exams.

I ended up with just above 96.

So you can do it! And go for it.

Btw I was spending up to 10 hours a week on exercise (including car travel to locations and stuff).

Also, I played throughout my half-yearly period, but stopped when it came to our trial exams (the season started at the end of term 1 and ended at the end of term 3).

Luckily we had a 4 week break so that our grand final was just the week after the trials.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ok so I'm willing to cut back one hour of sleep. Is 7 hours sleep good for the whole HSC year>? Or should I get 8 hours? Someone with experience would be good :)
During school days I would get around 6 to 7 hours a day/night altogether.

During exam periods it was similar.

I used the holidays to catch up with 9 to 10 hours a night.

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
Ok so I'm willing to cut back one hour of sleep. Is 7 hours sleep good for the whole HSC year>? Or should I get 8 hours? Someone with experience would be good :)
7 hours is great

I slept 4-5 hours on school nights (due to long travel)

HSC exams it could be half an hour to an hour (I needed to in order to cram most of the course)

on weekends, I had a huge 9 hour sleep on Friday nights, then Saturday would be 8ish hours

managed to get by, never felt unbearably tired, and here I am :)

williamdaft

HSC
Definitely keep 1hr walk/day and 7hrs sleep/night is a good balance for HSC year. I personally had average 5-6 hrs sleep a night and I find it enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)