Continuers (1 Viewer)

mayngo

HSC
Is continuers language hard?

I'm doing Japanese continuers next year, and I was wondering how time consuming and difficult it is.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Depends. Definitely manageable with enough organisation --> daily (or close to daily) vocab practice and weekly essay practice is a very normal occurrence in the Language sector. All subjects will be "time consuming" if you are not productive and organised, because the time would be consumed with procrastination.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
well im not sure about japanese, but i've heard that, people who do continuers french are able to, by the end of the course, be able to read a whole french newspaper and understand it, but after continuers japanese, people are only able to read the headline. I have no idea whether thats true or not, and im sure that if you're really into it, you;ll learn as much as you want to!

i do continuers german and i find it as one of the easiest subjects because i love it so much. I am able to practise it with my german friends over whatsapp and skype, and love to listen to german music etc

if you have interest, then go for it! it's one of the more useful subjects in high school imo, becasue you can actually use it in LOTS of everyday situations. Rather than stuff that you might forget and wont even need in uni

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
You can definitely read Japanese articles and get through Japan with the things you learn in Continuers, however, they focus a lot on grammar and its just so complex with the three "alphabets" and the various types of grammar

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
well im not sure about japanese, but i've heard that, people who do continuers french are able to, by the end of the course, be able to read a whole french newspaper and understand it, but after continuers japanese, people are only able to read the headline. I have no idea whether thats true or not, and im sure that if you're really into it, you;ll learn as much as you want to!

i do continuers german and i find it as one of the easiest subjects because i love it so much. I am able to practise it with my german friends over whatsapp and skype, and love to listen to german music etc

if you have interest, then go for it! it's one of the more useful subjects in high school imo, becasue you can actually use it in LOTS of everyday situations. Rather than stuff that you might forget and wont even need in uni
The truth is a bit more depressing. You might be able to gather some information from the article itself, but you will 100% not understand the headline due to copious amount of kanji (or chinese characters they use). But yea, your point is right, the standard achieved at the end of Japanese cont. is no where near as high as the European languages. I try really hard to do as much wider reading as I can in Japanese but it's just too difficult with what I've learnt from continuers.

For better or worse, you will not be fluent in Japanese by the end of continuers. Far from it, actually. But the plus side is that the course itself isn't that difficult. Unlike most HSC languages, there is actually a prescribed vocab list and if they include any words in the HSC that don't come from that list they must annotate it. You wouldn't believe how much stress and time this will cut down. The amount of kanji you actually need is also quite pitiful (I think less than 200 and not all of them are for active written use).

That being said, languages require a bit more time than most subjects because you need to use it constantly if you are not to forget everything. But as Kittyrules has stated, if you are passionate about it, it's really enjoyable. And for me at least, it's been a very rewarding experience.

(also, make sure you are comfortable with speaking - the speaking exam is a conversation and unless you fully let go, it can be a very nerve-wracking experience)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I did it for 2 terms and then dropped (that said was doing 12 units).
Continuers is a big jump from Year 10 Japanese in terms of pace and also in terms of expectations.
Your best preparation is actually to prep as much as you can before Year 11 starts (e.g. learn as much vocabulary which is on the BOS list)

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Basically you should be able to understand 90 percent of anime without subtitles, that's the expectation of Jap continuers if you did well in the course. If you did shit, then keep on using your jimaku

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Basically you should be able to understand 90 percent of anime without subtitles, that's the expectation of Jap continuers if you did well in the course. If you did shit, then keep on using your jimaku
omg what i must be doing it all wrong

no where near that LOL

Renko

HSC
I didn't do jap in years 9-10 but chose to do continuers last year. I don't think it's a hard course. Everything is prescribed and how time consuming it will be is entirely up to you.
If you regularly revise you should be all set, and you can't really cram for jap the night before an exam like for other subjects which is a good thing imo.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Just some banta, but i probs could if i tried really hard. But then whats the point

MattDarns

HSC
N/A
Can anyone tell me whether or not you can do Japanese Heritage if you're an Aussie, but with 6 or 7 years of experience in the language, and have done an exchange there??? Am planning to do continuers and extension.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Can anyone tell me whether or not you can do Japanese Heritage if you're an Aussie, but with 6 or 7 years of experience in the language, and have done an exchange there??? Am planning to do continuers and extension.
You probably can but why would you when Continuers and Extension scale so much better? They are also a lot easier than heritage and you won't be up against semi-native speakers

HSChelpneeded

HSC
Do you know anywhere/anyone who marks Japanese continuer essays? I am struggling to identify the mistakes and self marking is harder than I thought :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)