• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Contract case summaries (1 Viewer)

amaccas

HSC
N/A
its like from late 90's. i think the law on repudiation needs to be updated!?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
After consistently posting asking for notes, you honestly expect a forum of law students to believe that you want case summaries so that you don't have to buy the book?

I mean, whatever, everyone has their own learning style I guess. But summarising them yourself is actually a good way to learn them. Although, if Margaret Bond is still taking the course, her lecture notes usually provide the case name followed by the principle. Have you looked at them?

Demandred

HSC
Can't agree more, if you don't learn to understand and absorb the cases now, you're so going to fuck yourself over the next few years.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I don't really do case summaries per se, I just have something in my notes like:

Carbolic Smoke Ball Co (Advertisement promising x pounds if smoke ball did not cure cold) Offer v Invitation to Treat....

All you need is a tiny bit of the facts, enough to trgger memory e.g. snail in bottle case and the legal principle in a line or two.

But dude, uni is all about independant learning. You need to figure out your own learning style and stop expecting to find useful crib notes etc... The closest you might get is the extracts in law textbooks.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
After consistently posting asking for notes, you honestly expect a forum of law students to believe that you want case summaries so that you don't have to buy the book?

I mean, whatever, everyone has their own learning style I guess. But summarising them yourself is actually a good way to learn them. Although, if Margaret Bond is still taking the course, her lecture notes usually provide the case name followed by the principle. Have you looked at them?
Whatever man. I don't like contract law. I'm going to work in criminal law when I graduate. Contract is boring as shit.

Our tests are all assignments or open book. Someone elses summaries would work well for me and allow me to focus on other subjects. And Margret Bond doesn't take the course.

I don't really do case summaries per se, I just have something in my notes like:

Carbolic Smoke Ball Co (Advertisement promising x pounds if smoke ball did not cure cold) Offer v Invitation to Treat....

All you need is a tiny bit of the facts, enough to trgger memory e.g. snail in bottle case and the legal principle in a line or two.

But dude, uni is all about independant learning. You need to figure out your own learning style and stop expecting to find useful crib notes etc... The closest you might get is the extracts in law textbooks.
Yeah, I know. It just seems insufficient to walk into a test with 2 sentences worth of notes for each of the major cases.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I hate to tell you its going to be a long 5 years with that attitude. Yes, Contracts for me was boring and I would like to work in Criminal Law but you still need to do the other subjects and you might find your preferences change later, do you want to be so restricted just because you found the subjects boring and put no effort in?

When writing a problem question thats all you really need to know.
State the law (the one-liner summing up the ratio) and cite the Authority (i.e. the case name)
Apply the facts (either draw to the similarities or differences in facts)

Unless its a case note assignment how much detail do you need.

I know it seems everyone is giving you a hard time but you are going to have to adjust sooner or later. Everyone does

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Employment, commercial, construction, investment, media, civil procedure, property (real, personal, intellectual) and torts all contain elements of contract law, and this certainly isn't an exhaustive list. I'm not saying you should be in love with the topic, but do try to not shoot yourself in the foot here. There's a reason they teach you this stuff in first year.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Im like the complete opposite...love contracts and currently despise crim. Not that i dont see crim as useful, but i like structure and find that so far the focus of crim has been sociological/philosphical bullshit in regards to crime, morals, ethics which is crap i dont care about- just seems so abstract, im looking forward to actually getting into the elements of each crime.

Contracts on the otherhand i find really useful, but this maybe because i am more interest in the commerce side of things and can see the real world applications- it seems logical, you can answer the problems almost like its a maths problem which i like. Kinda reminds me of a geometrical proof, yet u use ratios of past cases instead of mathematical laws to deduce the answer

but yea who knows, could all change- i wanna do torts though

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LOL.

no disrespect jack, with that attitude, but i would love to see you fail contracts. :)

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Im like the complete opposite...love contracts and currently despise crim. Not that i dont see crim as useful, but i like structure and find that so far the focus of crim has been sociological/philosphical bullshit in regards to crime, morals, ethics which is crap i dont care about- just seems so abstract, im looking forward to actually getting into the elements of each crime.

Contracts on the otherhand i find really useful, but this maybe because i am more interest in the commerce side of things and can see the real world applications- it seems logical, you can answer the problems almost like its a maths problem which i like. Kinda reminds me of a geometrical proof, yet u use ratios of past cases instead of mathematical laws to deduce the answer

but yea who knows, could all change- i wanna do torts though
Who's your tutor?

I'm having a lot of trouble starting this contracts assignment. I can see my argument but I don't know how to start it off.

Frigid said:
LOL.

no disrespect jack, with that attitude, but i would love to see you fail contracts. :)
None taken.

I spent all day doing my summaries and their finished, so if any first years want case summaries on offer, acceptance, consideration, intention and certainty let me know.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
jackmurray1989 said:
I spent all day doing my summaries and their finished
good job.

now, isn't it more satisfying doing your own? :hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)