• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Contracts textbooks (1 Viewer)

pointepink

HSC
Hi,

I'm a law student at Macquarie and I was just wondering which textbooks other universities use for contracts. Our textbook is Principles of Australian Contract Law which I find to be quite clear and straightforward but I would like to use another text for cross-checking, getting a new perspective, or just simply getting a little more information. Having said that, there are a lot of case readings and I'm not sure I'm after anything as dense as Carter and Harland's Contract Law In Australia. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Those books were (and are) our prescribed Contract Law texts. For learning purposes they do the job well, but:
MoonlightSonata said:
If you want to look at other texts, Cheshire & Fifoot's Law of Contract is also a good book. It is very convenient and can be quite useful, although it is a bit lacking in a few areas, such as repudiation. It is slightly outdated, the last edition being 2002, although (a) contracts texts don't age too badly and (b) a new edition is coming out at the end of the year, according to Mr Seddon.

Carter's contracts texts are always good - the guy is one of Australia's leading contracts academics.

Also basically anything written by Justice Handley (usually in relation to equitable contract principles) is excellent.

Demandred

HSC
Principles Of Contract Law + Contract: Cases & Materials (package)
Paterson Roberts & Heffey

axie

HSC
N/A
I would recommend Cheshire & Fifoot as well. Our only prescribed book for contracts is Ellinghaus's Australian Cases on Contract which, while being handy, requires far too much analysis to get each principle out of each case. Cheshire makes contracts bearable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)