copper block and magnet question (1 Viewer)

billbuilds

HSC
i dont know if this is right but we never learnt it.
i wrote that cooling it would lower restistance and I=V/R and that the eddy current would be larger so it makes a larger strength magnetic field and so the magnet falls slower. what did you all put?

Desiree

HSC
Doesnt the copper have a slight magnetic field of its own, so it opposes the magnets field?

donrob15

HSC
copper isnt a permanent magent. iron, nickel, cobalt are. it is the eddy current's magnetic field that opposes the magnet. the eddy current is produced by the falling magnet. lenzs law.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Wouldn't it have been funny if they chose something that wasn't magnetic, like aluminium?

Actually no, that would have been awful...

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
lol i rekon!!!
far out! the more i read other peoples answers, the more i forget what i wrote... :p this exam is playin tricks on my mind!
give me my result already!...
lol wouldnt it be so cool if after you finished your exam you went into a room with the markers and left with your result! :p ...u never know!...maybe in the future :uhhuh: :cool:

Larryman

somewhere secluded from the outside world
HSC
drewgcn said:
Wouldn't it have been funny if they chose something that wasn't magnetic, like aluminium?

Actually no, that would have been awful...
yeah aluminium would have had the same affect, magnetism of the metal has nothing to do with this question..
and even after its cooled its nowhere near the temperature required for the meissner effect to start working

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
heh, oh dear...

Sorry, I was thinking something that was non-conducting, and for some reason I wrote magnetic, probably because at the time I realised aluminium conducts and so i must have meant magnetic.

HSC
Somethign to do with eddy currents in the copper opposed the magnetic field of the magnet as it gets closer to the block is all I remember writing about...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)