Copper Wires for building a DC motor (1 Viewer)

Sonata

HSC
my teacher sed sumthing about u need to use insulated copper wires wen building the motor, since wen u coil the copper up wen current travels through it jump to the nxt loop and so on, i.e it takes the shortest path. Or alternatively he said u could buy sum resin spray to coat the pure copper wire
Any1noe where i can buy these?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Sonata said:
my teacher sed sumthing about u need to use insulated copper wires wen building the motor, since wen u coil the copper up wen current travels through it jump to the nxt loop and so on, i.e it takes the shortest path. Or alternatively he said u could buy sum resin spray to coat the pure copper wire
Any1noe where i can buy these?
You can buy copper wire at any electronics store, such as Dick Smith Electronics...

Sonata

HSC
so u can basically use any copper to make the motor run?

also i have a problem with making the copper coil move, i havent used any commutators yet, but still there should be signs of movements going back and forth, but i havent seen any

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Sonata said:
so u can basically use any copper to make the motor run?

also i have a problem with making the copper coil move, i havent used any commutators yet, but still there should be signs of movements going back and forth, but i havent seen any
hmm.. not exactly sure, but i would recommend you take a look at this video, published by TALE DET.

Sonata

HSC
hmm question, why does he use the sand paper? i noe he uses it to make a communtator effect, but isnt the copper wire alrdy uninsulated ?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Sonata said:
hmm question, why does he use the sand paper? i noe he uses it to make a communtator effect, but isnt the copper wire alrdy uninsulated ?
umm.. i think the copper wire he is using is insulated. hmm. not sure, i think you need to ask the dicksmith store person if you can get insulated copper wire that thin or not. lol

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Sand paper is used on the copper wire because it may contain a coating of insulating material such as enamel which can be removed from a certain desired section of wire which must contact and conduct electrical current.

Sonata

HSC
me121 said:
umm.. i think the copper wire he is using is insulated. hmm. not sure, i think you need to ask the dicksmith store person if you can get insulated copper wire that thin or not. lol
yea ive checked dicksmith out before posting it, seems they dont have it and seems they arent full experienced lol. well ive found the copper wires im after, all this time ive been after pure copper.

also is it better to have thin or thick copper wires when ur coiling? my teacher said sumthing about how wires have like a limit to how much current it can handle. Too thin, it snaps to overload of current. Using thick allows more current... but less coiling...hmm

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Research the Beakman motor. As forbidden was saying, you could keep one half of a side of the wire insulated and the other half uninsulated and it will produce a commutator effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)