Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Putting this in perspective, the numbers are still hovering around that of the first wave last year (which peaked around 200+ cases in a day) for NSW and nowhere near Melbourne’s second wave (which peaked around 600+ cases a day).

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
Putting this in perspective, the numbers are still hovering around that of the first wave last year (which peaked around 200+ cases in a day) for NSW and nowhere near Melbourne’s second wave (which peaked around 600+ cases a day).
Delta variant - problematically more infectious...
You cant feasibly put it in perspective based off previous outbreaks

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Delta variant - problematically more infectious...
You cant feasibly put it in perspective based off previous outbreaks
Why not? So you have a more infectious variant which may impact the dynamics of the situation. However, what matters at the end of the day is outcomes (i.e. number of infections/hospitalisations/deaths) and at this stage they are not at the levels of previous waves.

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
So you have a more infectious variant which may impact the dynamics of the situation
Thus more potential to spiral out of control, as it seems to have done...
However, what matters at the end of the day is outcomes (i.e. number of infections/hospitalisations/deaths) and at this stage they are not at the levels of previous waves.
I disagree, using the previous outbreaks as a model to prognosticate future trends etc is rendered useless with the heightened infectiousness of the variant and lack of ability to bring the situation under control, which was not necessarily the case with the earlier outbreaks... Victoria saw 600+ cases in their major outbreak months ago but I would argue that NSW's present situation is even more dire given the nature of the Delta variant.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thus more potential to spiral out of control, as it seems to have done...

I disagree, using the previous outbreaks as a model to prognosticate future trends etc is rendered useless with the heightened infectiousness of the variant and lack of ability to bring the situation under control, which was not necessarily the case with the earlier outbreaks... Victoria saw 600+ cases in their major outbreak months ago but I would argue that NSW's present situation is even more dire given the nature of the Delta variant.
Just to be clear, I didn’t actually make any inference about future trends based on the previous waves. To clarify, my comparison was purely a statement of the data as of today comparing the outcomes of this wave so far versus previous waves at a similar point in time.

The whole point of why we even care in the first place is because we want to minimise infections/hospitalisations/deaths. Therefore these are the key metrics to gauge the situation.

You have concerns about the Delta variant because of its potential to spike up infections/hospitalisations/deaths. Therefore, the situation would be concerning if these metrics were very high given we’re already over month in this wave. However, whilst they may be high, they are yet to be as high as previous waves. In fact, daily case numbers are increasing at a slower rate with a lower count than at the same point of Melbourne’s second wave (where cases rapidly increased to 300+). That’s not to downplay the concern but putting it in perspective based on where we are today.

I am not making any calls about how bad the future state could be and I would personally withhold any calls about it being the worst outbreak until those key metrics actually do exceed those of Melbourne’s second wave.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I was going to get a vaccine but then I saw this video and changed my mind

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait how? I thought we can’t get vaccinated until the elderly, health workers, etc. (you know, priorities)
Medical workers/quarantine households or people with underlying health conditions are some of the options if we are talking Pfizer.

Otherwise, AZ is fairly available.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Dont know the difference between the two, I just want to get vaccinated 😂😂

I have a fairly weak immune system and I don’t know what’s going to happen to me if I get covid, so it’s better to stay safe than sorry.

Thanks, I’ll definitely get AZ if its available at my GP : )
Low platelets/family history of clotting are potential issues for the AZ vaccine. Your GP is one of the better-placed positions to help you make the decision if AZ is suitable for you.

cloud_berry

HSC
Medical workers/quarantine households or people with underlying health conditions are some of the options if we are talking Pfizer.

Otherwise, AZ is fairly available.
wait so since i have a health condition, does that mean i’ll be getting pfizer? because my mom was saying i can’t get vaccinated at all due to that reason

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
wait so since i have a health condition, does that mean i’ll be getting pfizer? because my mom was saying i can’t get vaccinated at all due to that reason
The underlying health reason is a fairly strict list, such as having had cancer so unlikely you will qualify but best to discuss with a GP.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
hahahahaha imagine how absolutely fuckhoused this generation of kids is gonna be, zero social interaction at school, raised on internet/tablets, forced to stay inside during the best/most formative period of their life so old cunce can squeeze a couple extra months of vegetating in a nursing home before they finally kark it from something else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)