Corpse Bride.. (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
can't wait to watch this movie after my exams :D the little skeleton in the ad is so cute :D

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i wanna see it... just sucks that you dont actually see Johnny Depp.... hes sooooo sexy. i love him sooo much.... but not in that freaky stalker way.

Abtari

HSC
wot the hell..

just saw this movie yesterday.. two and a half stars..

srsly i dunnoe wot the fuss is about.. its claymation and definitely not my type.. the plot was alritish.. but in general it didn't really 'transport' me from the real world and i wasn't interested in watching it..maybe just me, but i felt like it was a bit too juvenile and bubbly with the random musicals..

a bit too short too, and even though my friend reckons oh, there's deeper meaning in their words and actions (shakespeare),i did not find it enlightening, whatsoever...

on the contrary, i found flightplan a great movie, with great camera work and awesome acting..and definitely something that transports u :D four stars from me

Last edited:

Pierotte

HSC
Did not like...

yeah it was pretty to look at

but the story was all over the place, ridiculously implausible (like i know its fiction, but how the characters reacted to their situations and stuff seemd just so.. empty)

the musical bits were hopeless, i couldnt understand the words

The only time i laughed was when a big and burly guy from up the front of the cinema walked all the way to the back to tell some kids to shut the bloody hell up.

LAME lame lame. And i was looking so forward to it.

icecreamdisco

HSC
agreed w/ the above two posters. how is this getting such good reviews?

i though the opening scenes had a lot of promise, and i liked the uber-mordant victorian settings and charicatures, but it's all surface and no soul. all those 'cute' post-mortem puns got old so quickly. rarely have 75 minutes felt so long. and it absolutely pales (sigh) in comparison with curse of the were-rabbit, which had tight plotting and great gags to match the stellar animation.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i thought it was alright, nowhere near as good as "the nightmare before christmas", but good fun none the less.

i however have to disagree with the person who disliked the musical parts. i thought the first underworld scene with "bonejangles" (great name!) was excellent.

the ending was rather hastily piled together, and i didnt find any of the characters endearing except emily (which is strange because i usually dislike bonham carter).

i cant really explain it, but the film lacked heart i think. while the characters, songs and plot of nightmare was full and fast, this film had rather contrived and predictable jokes and events.

i loved the visual aspect however, and the difference between the boring victorian existence and the colourful 1920's underworld.

persephone

HSC
It was good not great or anything. I liked Emily too. She was nice. I didn't like many of the others. I came out of the cinema trying to derive meaning from it. Because seriously what was it all about?

tabularasa

HSC
i actually really enjoyed this film. I am a burton junkie and while it is not as good as nightmare or edward scissorhands it is stil a fantastic movie. I think the story was amazing it goes to show that movies don;t need to be three hours long to be enjoyed i say more short movies. 4/5 stars

nwatts

HSC
I agree with everyone in saying that this wasn't as good as The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is probably one of my all-time favourites, but it was still a lot of fun. :) Depp was great, the songs were great, it was a lot funnier than I expected, which was also great. Anything Burton is going to be good, and this was indeed very good.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
persephone said:
It was good not great or anything. I liked Emily too. She was nice. I didn't like many of the others. I came out of the cinema trying to derive meaning from it. Because seriously what was it all about?
It was purely about Victor having to marry Victoria. His parents were forcing him to marry her, so as to climb the social ladder through their son. Victoria's parents ran out of money thus had to marry her off to 'new money' (Victor) to keep their status and name, although slightly degraded due to association with 'new money' (note: this degradation was not explored in the film).

Victor in the marriage rehearsal forgets his lines due to nervousness and is sent out by the priest to learn his vows. He practices them over and over in the woods, and finishes by placing the ring on what he perceives as a finger-like branch, which is instead Emily's (the corpse bride's) finger. Because he said the vows correctly he is now married to Emily (not true in any sense because, well durr, Victor never says 'I do' but for the sake of the film, lets continue).

Because he is married to Emily he is sucked into the Underworld. Down there Victor tricks Emily into sending him up to the normal world where he runs to Victoria. Emily finds him and takes him back to the Underworld before Victor can explain everything. Victoria being the smart cookie that she is cottons on to what happened and runs to tell everyone (both sets of parents who do not know where Victor is). They think she's gone insane and locks her in her bedroom where she cant escape.

I think its about now in the Underworld where Emily is explaining her story of her death to Victor. The same man who tries to marry Victoria later, married Emily, once having her money he killed her in the woods 'Till death do us part' and ran off free. Victor feels sorry and begins to treat Emily nicely.

It comes out that because Victor married Emily who is dead the marriage is void unless Victor says his vows again and immediately after drinks some poison, then he is married to Emily in the Underworld. Victor overhears the priest telling Emily this, Emily says she couldn't ask Victor to do this, but Victor steps out and says he wants to.

Victor wants to do it 'properly' and proposes to do it in the real world. The corpses and Victor crash Emily and the evil man's wedding. The evil man is found out for who he is, as Emily tells them. The corpses cannot touch him however because he is living, he takes a swig of a drink (the one carrying poison for Victor) and the corpses attack him.

Emily stops Victor from marrying her as she says her dreams were robbed from her, but that doesn't mean she can rob anothers dream (note kiddies, this is the moral of the story, that and don't marry a corpse). And thus Victor and Victoria marry, happily ever after. And Emily is now free from her torment and turns into butterflies and flies away (no even I dont get that part).
The end :)

Several other things happen Im sure but I watched a pirate copy at 2am one morning so my memory of it isn't the best..

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

funky_a said:
OHHHHHH I'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS! and the Nightmare Before Christmas is disturbing
This movie looks alright, but I'm not going to watch it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)