Correlation between Year 11 marks/rankings and Year 12 HSC performance (1 Viewer)

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
I apologise in advance if this has somehow already been asked,

Is it possible to achieve a really good ATAR even if you had average marks in Year 11? I slacked off a bit this year but I've gained a lot of determination this term (Term 3 Yr 11), and I'm going to drop one subject that I absolutely hate next term, leaving me with 12 units next year consisting of subjects I actually like. I really want to get 97+ ATAR which I know requires a LOT of work, so I'm aiming to get in the top 10% ranking for all my subjects (school is ranked top 40). I'm worried that it might be a bit too late to make such a drastic change in marks, but I'm sure there are some stories out there of people who have done it. In your experience, how many people in Year 12 'come out of nowhere' and succeed despite having pretty crap marks in Yr 11? Exactly how much work does it take? Is it too late?

SuperMike96

HSC
I guess it depends if your "crap marks" are the result of a poor effort or limited ability. If it is poor effort, then you could easily pick up your marks with the right amount of study. However, if you have a limited ability then studying may help, but not enough to achieve an ATAR of 97+.

At this point you have plenty of time to improve. If you think it's within your capabilities to achieve a 97+ ATAR, then I think you can as well.

Jinks

HSC
There is a correlation between year 11 and 12 obviously, but that isn't to say that coming into year 12 you can't increase your effort/focus and do much better than in year 11, it all comes back to your ability and if you're willing to put in the time and more effort.

ResourcesHSC

HSC
Similar correlation, but that can be changed with hard work and effort!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I apologise in advance if this has somehow already been asked,

Is it possible to achieve a really good ATAR even if you had average marks in Year 11? I slacked off a bit this year but I've gained a lot of determination this term (Term 3 Yr 11), and I'm going to drop one subject that I absolutely hate next term, leaving me with 12 units next year consisting of subjects I actually like. I really want to get 97+ ATAR which I know requires a LOT of work, so I'm aiming to get in the top 10% ranking for all my subjects (school is ranked top 40). I'm worried that it might be a bit too late to make such a drastic change in marks, but I'm sure there are some stories out there of people who have done it. In your experience, how many people in Year 12 'come out of nowhere' and succeed despite having pretty crap marks in Yr 11? Exactly how much work does it take? Is it too late?
Defs not too late and that shit happens all of the time.

In my scenario, I've gone down [slightly or drastically] in quite a few of my subs and have seen many people rise out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, I've gone up in one or two of my subs since Year 11.

Year 11 means nothing in the long run.

enoilgam

HSC
I think there is a pretty strong correlation between the two. When I was in High School, the people who did well in Year 12 were pretty much the same people who did well and put in the effort in Year 11 and the earlier years (with a few exceptions). Learning good study habits and skills at a young age really does help with Year 12 and even uni. A lot of times, people dont do well during the HSC because they dont have the experience with studying or staying motivated over a long period of time. A lot of people will probably think differently, but I think a bit of effort in the early years is vastly underrated in terms of its impact. I'm not saying people should go all out in the early years, but a little effort to develop good study habits can go a long way. For me personally, I definitely believe that the effort I put in back in the early years of HS helped me so much during the HSC and with settling into uni quick.

In saying all that, there are people who come out of nowhere and it is possible to improve for Year 12. I'm just of the belief that study habits and skills formed early on help way more than people think.

Capo

HSC
Im on the exact same boat! I'm also in a top 40 school aiming for a 97+ atar :) My year 11 marks are also horrendous... What rank do we have to get in order to achieve a 97+ ATAR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)