• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cost of joining SAM? (1 Viewer)

lmnopq

HSC
SAM is free for maq students. On my enrollment form it asked if I wanted to join SAM and it had a note next to it that said you kinda pay from SAM anyway in your Student Activities Fees so why not take full advantage of the offers they have.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its not free, if it's paid for through the Student Activity Fees. :p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
SAM is basically the Student Union (correct me if im wrong) Students At Mac.

You pay a one off fee of $184, and I'm just showing the breakdown.
No you're right.

The Student Activity Fees comprise of the union fees (i.e. SAM), and the sports facilities fees (completed wasted on me) and MUSC (which basically goes to the coffers of the corrput MUSCers).

Speaking of, a guy I know formerly in MUSC and CSS told me there's been a mass exodus from both. I guess that's one good thing has come about as a result of VSU. Heck, if Conception Day is back to it's 2003/2004 standards and drink prices don't rise too sharply at the uni bar I might even support VSU.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
We do have to re-register to get the new card, you just do it on the website. They ask you for the email you used when you registered, so remember it!

I dont think the SAM card is that bad this year. They have changed from the Ambassador card scheme to something called "Enjoy Life", or something equally as wanky. They also have discounts at MQ centre which arent great, most are 10% off. But Greater Union give us Silver Screen tickets for $11.50 - so its an extra dollar than a normal ticket! I think I'll be using that little facility a few times.

Steve and I are going to get one SAM card between us next semester. I dont think SAM is that great.
wheres the website? I might get this dam card this time. (btw, how much is silver screen usually?).

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
wheres the website? I might get this dam card this time. (btw, how much is silver screen usually?).
Well, you're already paying for it through SAM fees, it takes 1 minute to sign up, and if you don't have one you don't get savings for food at uni. Why would/did anyone choose to not get the card??

www.sam.org.au

You can pick it up at the atrium monday-friday before uni. Probably SAM spot after uni starts.

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
GoodToGo said:
Well, you're already paying for it through SAM fees, it takes 1 minute to sign up, and if you don't have one you don't get savings for food at uni. Why would/did anyone choose to not get the card??

htpp://www.sam.org.au

You can pick it up at the atrium monday-friday before uni. Probably SAM spot after uni starts.
i wasnt sure how to get it exactly. thanks for the link.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Silver screen is usually $20 (plus booking fee if you do it on the net), so its pretty much half price. The seats are gorgeous, you could sleep on them so easily. And there are champagne holders in between each one. And you can book booths with tables if you go with 8 people.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wow, so, who wants to watch a movie during their breaks/after the meetup ? Haha

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Note that silverscreen tickets are only cheap on Mondays. And the normal student price is $11.50 if I remember correctly, so it's a free upgrade. Great deal.

CieL

HSC
AsyLum said:
Its not free, if it's paid for through the Student Activity Fees. :p
haha you just ruined it for me.. i thought i was getting a great deal until now XP

i picked mine up at the atrium with my diary on enrollment..

CieL

HSC
MaryJane said:
But Greater Union give us Silver Screen tickets for $11.50 - so its an extra dollar than a normal ticket! I think I'll be using that little facility a few times.
so if you have a sam card.. and you want to bring someone else from another uni to watch silverscreen.. would that work?

or would you both need to be a MQ student?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
iambored said:
Note that silverscreen tickets are only cheap on Mondays. And the normal student price is $11.50 if I remember correctly, so it's a free upgrade. Great deal.
I noticed that this afternoon when I went to check availability for a movie. Over Jan it was $20 per concession, but now its down to $11.50 by default every day - not just Monday. Yet another classic example of fake discounts provided by SAM - very well spotted!

CieL said:
so if you have a sam card.. and you want to bring someone else from another uni to watch silverscreen.. would that work?

or would you both need to be a MQ student?
Yeah, you'd both have to be a MQ student, but, as we found out, its always $11.50 for a student.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
MaryJane said:
I noticed that this afternoon when I went to check availability for a movie. Over Jan it was $20 per concession, but now its down to $11.50 by default every day - not just Monday. Yet another classic example of fake discounts provided by SAM - very well spotted!
Ah, well I actually meant tickets to normal sessions are $11.50 (not $10.50) but thanks for giving me the credit :p. So it's $11.50 for silverscreen every day? And the SAM diary are trying to advertise tell us we're special because we're part of SAM and that we can only use the discount on Mondays!

CieL

HSC
the SAM diary is inaccurate.. it says so itself..

it says crap like.. we can buy one get one free at Intencity "SAM card must be presented to redeem offer".. expires on Dec 2005..

cept i went today and the offer was still up to ALL tertiary students

I swear it's just a scam to make us go more just because we feel privileged =S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)