Could I get an offer? (1 Viewer)

vx1000

HSC
Uni Grad
I received an 89.75 ATAR in the 2017 HSC and I'm looking to apply for Economics at USYD (90).

I know the cutoff is "fixed", but I've heard of many who received an offer below cutoff.

Next offer round is Apr 12th, to start in Semester 2 and I'm only .25 below.

What do you think? Could I get an offer?

sida1049

HSC
It's possible, but it's a bit of a risk. You could maybe email someone at USYD about it. Either way, it shouldn't be difficult for you to externally transfer into USYD.

Have you considered going for Bachelor of Arts instead? You're above the cutoff for that, and B. Economics is literally B. Arts except you're forced to take a major in economics (or a related area of study) and some units in econometrics. If you really want to, you could internally transfer into B. Economics from B. Arts. And an honours in economics is also possible to do from B. Arts.

vx1000

HSC
Uni Grad
It's possible, but it's a bit of a risk. You could maybe email someone at USYD about it. Either way, it shouldn't be difficult for you to externally transfer into USYD.

Have you considered going for Bachelor of Arts instead? You're above the cutoff for that, and B. Economics is literally B. Arts except you're forced to take a major in economics (or a related area of study) and some units in econometrics. If you really want to, you could internally transfer into B. Economics from B. Arts. And an honours in economics is also possible to do from B. Arts.
Thanks. If you think it's not likely, do you think I'd have more luck with UNSW Eco (93), where I have 2 BPs, putting me on 91.75?

sida1049

HSC
Thanks. If you think it's not likely, do you think I'd have more luck with UNSW Eco (93), where I have 2 BPs, putting me on 91.75?
Gut feeling tells me UNSW is more likely to be flexible with their ATAR requirement than USYD, but I can't be sure.

My honest opinion is go for Bachelor of Arts. B. Economics at USYD is a glorified arts degree. Similarly, B. Economics at UNSW is a glorified business degree. Economics belongs in arts, imo, because real economics is most similar to philosophy, and applied economics is most similar to statistics/econometrics. I studied economics through B. Arts so I could avoid the useless compulsory business units and spend credit points on things like maths, which is far more valuable to economics. You can always internally transfer to B. Economics later, if you'd prefer that.

It's really up to you though.

vx1000

HSC
Uni Grad
Gut feeling tells me UNSW is more likely to be flexible with their ATAR requirement than USYD, but I can't be sure.

My honest opinion is go for Bachelor of Arts. B. Economics at USYD is a glorified arts degree. Similarly, B. Economics at UNSW is a glorified business degree. Economics belongs in arts, imo, because real economics is most similar to philosophy, and applied economics is most similar to statistics/econometrics. I studied economics through B. Arts so I could avoid the useless compulsory business units and spend credit points on things like maths, which is far more valuable to economics. You can always internally transfer to B. Economics later, if you'd prefer that.

It's really up to you though.
I see. Thanks so much.

I much prefer the applied economics, so UNSW is my preference.

engineering

HSC
N/A
If your ATAR is below the cutoff you won’t get an offer. But if usyd changes its cutoff to lower you would get an offer.

If this is the degree you really want it doesn’t hurt you to put it first.

If your number 2 choice is then something with an ATAR cutoff of 89, then you would get that preference.

vx1000

HSC
Uni Grad
If your ATAR is below the cutoff you won’t get an offer. But if usyd changes its cutoff to lower you would get an offer.

If this is the degree you really want it doesn’t hurt you to put it first.

If your number 2 choice is then something with an ATAR cutoff of 89, then you would get that preference.
I called USyd and they said there was a possibility that I get an offer. They said it's based on class sizes for the later rounds.

captainneuro

HSC
I called USyd and they said there was a possibility that I get an offer. They said it's based on class sizes for the later rounds.
idk anyone studying here below their cutoff, usyd are usually really strict about it. But good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)