Course in Psychology. (1 Viewer)

dickiie

Warm, wet and pink. Smells like fish too.
HSC
hey all,

I'm not sure if I posted this thread in the right section of the forum so if a mod can help me out and place it in the correct place, it'd be greatly appreciated. Now with that out of the way, let me get to the real bit of this thread.

I'm posting to ask if it's possible to pick up a course in psychology with my abysmal ATAR result of 38.85. I know that I won't be able to gain entry into the course with that score at any Uni, actually, any courses at all but it gives me hope that I may be able to gain entry through other means. e.g. go to some 'university college' and get a transfer if I do well in it.

I just finished year 12 a few months ago so I thought that I might as well do something, wish I'd known this back in the beginning of year 12 instead of focusing on 'taking a break from school' after the HSC. I dread of spending 2 years of my life doing nothing and hope that I'll be able to gain entry with the "Mature Age" application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and + repped (is that how rep works?),
Dickiie.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm you seem like you're in a bit of a tough position. I'm not exactly sure of any available courses in Psychology, but I'm sure you could find something in the TAFE sector that could give you some training in the area. The larger TAFEs such as Brisbane and Sydney will offer a plethora of related courses which you'd be able to get entry into.

Best of luck, and sorry that I don't know any more.

Kittikhun

HSC
To be frank, I believe that you should find work, get some money, read some stuff on psychology (so that you won't get bored), and then sit for the STAT. Uni is very, very expensive and time-consuming, especially if you live far away from your uni campus, and if I were you I would endeavour to earn a fair amount of money first in order to not worry about financial matters later whilst studying at uni. I'd recommend the ADF Gap Year programme or just any job that piques your interest to occupy yourself for a few years, at least something that will give you some life experience and also something to add to your résumé besides mere academic results and prizes, and a job at Maccas. You could choose not to do this and go to TAFE and find a course pertaining to psychology, which could be counted as units at uni, but with a quick search on Google I didn't find anything that TAFE offers in pertinence to psychology. Phone them up and hear what they say about it to make sure. If it is the case that there aren't any psychology courses offered by TAFE, you could repeat the HSC all over again and earn a better ATAR but I think that that will be of great annoyance to you (hell, no one wants to do the HSC again. I know I wouldn't! Hell no!). Another possible option is to opt to study at the Open Universities Australia, if you are very keen to get on with it straight away and by nature an autodidact; I did find some stuff on psychology at the Open Universities Australia.

http://www.open.edu.au/public/courses-and-units/arts/units-list-ugrd-psy

but you're going to have to read on it since I know hardly anything about it. I do believe that there aren't any entry requirements for this course, or any courses for that matter offered by the Open Universities Australia like they do at The Open University in the UK, but whether you can transfer to another uni if you wish to do so or if the degree is going to be recognised I have absolutely no idea. You do have the advantage though of studying at home and being able to be flexible with your own study regime and also not having to pay or spend time for travel. Disadvantages are you won't have that super awesome uni social life that everyone harps on about, but hell you won't have the time anyway for that stuff unless if you're rich and live on campus, and you won't have access to the plethora of rich resources afforded by university libraries, I think.

Anyway, all the best and I hope that I have been of some help.:)

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope that by doing the courses related to Psychology in OUA will get me a transfer out to USyd, if it doesn't, I'm screwed.
They should be able to give you credit points. If you maintain a credit average for your academic transcript, or a GPA of 5, that will give you great standing for an external transfer to USyd. I hope everything goes well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)