Course preferences everyone? (1 Viewer)

iTz Osky

HSC
1. MBBS UNSW
2. MBBS UWS
3. MBBS UoNewcastle,

Why does everybody have comm/law at UNSW over USYD? Surely USYD has better commerce and law faculties? Or is it the different emphasis of either program? At my school law at USYD has a far greater popularity than UNSW, but UNSW seems the obvious preference on these boards.

EDIT: I'm a gronk who doesn't know the correct abbreviation of the course he wants to get into

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
1. BMMS UNSW
2. BMMS UWS
3. BMMS UoNewcastle,

Why does everybody have comm/law at UNSW over USYD? Surely USYD has better commerce and law faculties? Or is it the different emphasis of either program? At my school law at USYD has a far greater popularity than UNSW, but UNSW seems the obvious preference on these boards.
I don't think it's called BMMS unless you're taking the master of surgery... :)

Also, most people would have UNSW > USyd for three conceivable reasons - they live closer, they prefer the UNSW student life (dunno how, USyd > all others), scholarships [most likely the AAA because that would allow someone with an ATAR of 94.55 to get straight into the combined degree].

iTz Osky

HSC
I don't think it's called BMMS unless you're taking the master of surgery... :)

Also, most people would have UNSW > USyd for three conceivable reasons - they live closer, they prefer the UNSW student life (dunno how, USyd > all others), scholarships [most likely the AAA because that would allow someone with an ATAR of 94.55 to get straight into the combined degree].
fair enough... i live right next to UNSW, but still have usyd law over unsw law as my 5th preference, but as you say thats because i have a better scholarship from usyd haha

MBBS he means
My bad, knew it looked wonky when i typed it out

FrozenSky

HSC
1. Commerce + Science @ UNSW
2. Commerce + Science @ USYD
3. Business + Medical science @ UTS

I actually got 3 law courses b4 these preferences, but i doubt that i'll get into law anyway

determine

Premium Member
HSC
My two preferences are:

1. Combined Law (Commerce/Law) at UNSW
2. B Business B Laws - UTS

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
1. B Arts (Media and Communications) or B Arts (Adv)(Hons) @ USyd (still haven't decided... help...)
2. B Arts @ USyd...
2. B Arts/Fine Arts @ COFA

Hm.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
1. B Arts (Media and Communications) or B Arts (Adv)(Hons) @ USyd (still haven't decided... help...)
2. B Arts @ USyd...
2. B Arts/Fine Arts @ COFA

Hm.
...obviously. + you will get to be in the same course as one of my friends from Philo.

horseluver29

HSC
1. Vet Science/Vet Bio @ CSU
2. Animal Science @ CSU
3. Equine Science @ CSU
4. Ag Science @ CSU

.... evidently I want to go to Charles Sturt :D

So happy I got high enough to get into vet (96.45... It seems I won't bee needing all 5 of my regional bonus points!), but now just gotta wait to see how I did in my interview! Fingers crossed! :D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Vet Science/Vet Bio @ CSU
2. Animal Science @ CSU
3. Equine Science @ CSU
4. Ag Science @ CSU

.... evidently I want to go to Charles Sturt :D

So happy I got high enough to get into vet (96.45... It seems I won't bee needing all 5 of my regional bonus points!), but now just gotta wait to see how I did in my interview! Fingers crossed! :D
I always wanted to do vet science as a child (but changed my mind pretty fast afterward and as I grew up), and I could qualify but the course also requires STAT? That is my understanding... I hope you get into it!

horseluver29

HSC
Actually you don't need to do the STAT for vet at wagga, as they don't focus so much on the mark. You only have to get 90 (or 85 if you are from a rural area like me) to be considered. Other than that offers are made based on interviews and questinnaires/essays. Pretty good way to do it I think :)

And yeah, heaps of little kiddies say "ooo I want to be a vet!", but it's not for everyone... HEAPS of people prattle on saying "oh, what a sad job! I'm glad I don't have to do it!" and so on... but fortunately I love it! Have been working at my local vets for the past three years - soooo good! :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually you don't need to do the STAT for vet at wagga, as they don't focus so much on the mark. You only have to get 90 (or 85 if you are from a rural area like me) to be considered. Other than that offers are made based on interviews and questinnaires/essays. Pretty good way to do it I think :)

And yeah, heaps of little kiddies say "ooo I want to be a vet!", but it's not for everyone... HEAPS of people prattle on saying "oh, what a sad job! I'm glad I don't have to do it!" and so on... but fortunately I love it! Have been working at my local vets for the past three years - soooo good! :)
That does seem much fairer that doing just the STAT - a lot of rural students would want to do Veterinary Science because of the rural setting and often a lot of them would live with animals or on farms; I myself visit a lot of friends' farms on a regular basis and would love to work with animals - for some it's barely even work.

horseluver29

HSC
Well I like to think so :D

So where does a Bachelor of Biomedical Science take you?

NewiJapper

HSC
horseluver29 said:
So where does a Bachelor of Biomedical Science take you?
A lot of the time Biomed can lead you into careers involving important medical research such as a cure for cancer, malaria etc or some people go into research and invention such as manually grown organs and such. BTW Aquawhite, did you change your mind towards biomed? I just have a memory you were doing something else? do biomed @UNCLE!! lol They have a great and successful biomed program there :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The degree will take me to one of a few outcomes that I'm interested in (in no particular order)

1. Medicine and the MBBS course.
2. Medical Research (I'm interested in Pathology/Immunology/Virology) + perhaps University Lecturing [Professor?]
3. Health Administration.
4. Work in a laboratory/hospital.

A lot of the time Biomed can lead you into careers involving important medical research such as a cure for cancer, malaria etc or some people go into research and invention such as manually grown organs and such. BTW Aquawhite, did you change your mind towards biomed? I just have a memory you were doing something else? do biomed @UNCLE!! lol They have a great and successful biomed program there :)
Their degree is okay, but the degree at Griffith is Accelerated which will take less time and allow me to gain a Ph.D. faster and broaden my options for permanent employment - I want to work in relation with hospitals... I love the feel of a hospital.

I did want to do Engineering a long time ago... but I imagine your thinking in relation to the Bachelor of Medical Science (MBBS Provisional) at Griffith. I did ring the Medical school and they said I still had a chance, but it was obvious in their voice that it was too competitive. I went on the UAC site and the ATAR cut-off they had estimated was about 98.9, which I didn't achieve.

Last edited:

horseluver29

HSC
Wow thats heaps cool!
I like the sound of medical research... very interesting indeed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)