Course Recommendation. (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Does anyone here recommend an attempt at a double degree of:

B Electrical Engineering/ B Science (Chemistry) OR B Electrical Engineering/B Science (Mathematics)

The reason why I'm interested in the Electrical/Chemistry is because I am really interested in doing Engineering, but I also want to enjoy the Chemistry component of Engineering, which may not be completely covered in Electrical Engineering, after looking through the handbook. I still want to be able to do engineering work relating to both Electricity and Chemistry. I know its an odd mix, but those are my huge interests.

What about the Electrical/Maths? Would that be necessary for engineering or would the BE ME in Electrical be a sufficient advantage in the labour market in terms of the interests of employers? Or would the Bachelor of Electrical even be adequate?

I'm in Year 12 and entering uni next year. How long would each course take in terms of years?

Also, with HECS, do you have to pay for the amount of doing an engineering degree and a science degree, almost doubling the normal payment of engineering, or do you still pay the same amount per year? I don't want to end up having to pay double in HECS once I'm finished because I doubt I'll be able to cope with the expenses.

And can anyone forward me towards a few sites that can help me answer these questions?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Engineering/Science will take 5 years full time (http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3725.html)

For HECS, you 'pay' for the courses you take each semester, which is typically 4 engineering/science courses. So you have 1 year extra compared to a single engineering degree which is 8 more courses you have to pay for.
Ok. So the payment is just an extra years worth on top? That should be fine.

I'm not sure though how they would integrate the Chemistry into the 5 years. Seems a bit tight to deal with.

I'm hoping that I can get into the BE ME and then just take a minor in Chemistry in the 5th year if I get the cut-off this year.

Thanks again D94. You always seem to have the answers :)

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok. So the payment is just an extra years worth on top? That should be fine.

I'm not sure though how they would integrate the Chemistry into the 5 years. Seems a bit tight to deal with.
Just the subjects/courses you do.

There are electives in a chemistry major that you won't need to do and electives in a single engineering program which you won't need to do, and some which will overlap with a science program so it works out in the end.

those are programs, not courses
It stems from UAC using the term 'courses'.

omni16

HSC
Also want to know, is there is a considerable advantage in doing BE ME Electrical? Why is the cut-off a 96 ATAR when one can just go on to a masters after they finish their BE?

Slightly off topic but one more question: Is taking engineering/commerce a good idea? I've read on this site that it's not because you're either going to be working in commerce OR engineering and that you're simply wasting money doing a pointless double degree because they aren't that related. My impression of it is that it's good if you want an understanding of the business side of the engineering industry allowing you to possibly land a job as the manager of a firm. Not sure though. Any input would be great. :) Hope this helps you too OP.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Also want to know, is there is a considerable advantage in doing BE ME Electrical? Why is the cut-off a 96 ATAR when one can just go on to a masters after they finish their BE?
:) Hope this helps you too OP.
Yeah it will help a little in terms of double degrees. The BE ME is an accelerated integrated course that allows you to finish with a masters in 5 years, rather than 6 years if done separately.

I want to do Chem/Eng because I enjoy working in both Chemistry and Electricity.
I'm guessing Commerce/Eng is slightly beneficial, just like Chem/Eng. However, it allows you to broaden your job opportunities, leaving you with two qualifications rather than one.

Halfasian

HSC
Hi anomalousdecay,

I was kind of in your position a year ago, here's my advice.

The way the whole subjects / courses / program thing works is something that most people don't figure out until you get to uni. Your program ( B Engineering (Electrical), B Science (Chem) etc ) is basically a list of subjects / courses you need to complete, when you complete those subjects you get your degree.

Regardless of what you're specific program, everyone has pretty much the same first semester subjects;
ENGG1000 - The introductory first year Engineering project course;
MATH1131/MATH1141 - Mathematics or Higher Mathematics;
PHYS1121/PHYS1131 - Physics or Higher Physics;
Plus an elective.

For you this means that whatever you choose, you're going to have the flexibility to change after the first year, which is very valuable as it allows you to find what you really like / are good at / enjoy in the actual uni setting. So don't worry too much about what specific degree you're choosing right now! I enrolled in Advanced Science at the start of the year and I'm changing into Computer Science for next year, made possible because the programs are all very similar in the first year.

Engineering in general is one of the more employable career paths, don't worry too much about that right now. Make sure you look at getting an internship in the later years. If you really enjoy and are passionate about what you do, you'll be good at it. And being good at it will get you a job!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hi anomalousdecay,

I was kind of in your position a year ago, here's my advice.

The way the whole subjects / courses / program thing works is something that most people don't figure out until you get to uni. Your program ( B Engineering (Electrical), B Science (Chem) etc ) is basically a list of subjects / courses you need to complete, when you complete those subjects you get your degree.

Regardless of what you're specific program, everyone has pretty much the same first semester subjects;
ENGG1000 - The introductory first year Engineering project course;
MATH1131/MATH1141 - Mathematics or Higher Mathematics;
PHYS1121/PHYS1131 - Physics or Higher Physics;
Plus an elective.

For you this means that whatever you choose, you're going to have the flexibility to change after the first year, which is very valuable as it allows you to find what you really like / are good at / enjoy in the actual uni setting. So don't worry too much about what specific degree you're choosing right now! I enrolled in Advanced Science at the start of the year and I'm changing into Computer Science for next year, made possible because the programs are all very similar in the first year.

Engineering in general is one of the more employable career paths, don't worry too much about that right now. Make sure you look at getting an internship in the later years. If you really enjoy and are passionate about what you do, you'll be good at it. And being good at it will get you a job!
Thank you so much for your reply.

I just wanted to do the double because I enjoy that odd mix of electrical and chemistry.
I've talked to a few UNSW staff, and they said that B Mat Sci and eng/B elec eng are not possible, unless you have demonstrated a high ability in first year. That's probably the most suiting course to my desired education.

Last edited:

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Goodluck with a chem major, hopefully you don't get put off by inorganic chem LOL
I planned to do civil eng/chem but now I'm dropping the science degree because I was simply put off by inorganic chem :lol:

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Goodluck with a chem major, hopefully you don't get put off by inorganic chem LOL
I planned to do civil eng/chem but now I'm dropping the science degree because I was simply put off by inorganic chem :lol:
Lol. Nice. How was the workload? Was it ok?

For some reason I could not find anything in the HSC course that put me off. I don't know why, but Chem has always intrigued me from year 7.

I actually quite like organic chem. The other day I drew up TNT and tried to figure out a reason why its so reactive. I haven't found out why yet, but the hexagonal structure would need some odd catalyst for it.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Lol. Nice. How was the workload? Was it ok?

For some reason I could not find anything in the HSC course that put me off. I don't know why, but Chem has always intrigued me from year 7.

I actually quite like organic chem. The other day I drew up TNT and tried to figure out a reason why its so reactive. I haven't found out why yet, but the hexagonal structure would need some odd catalyst for it.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
The workload isn't too bad if you use your time wisely

uni chem isn't really like hsc chem :L
If you want I can send you some lecture slides to see how it is

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The workload isn't too bad if you use your time wisely

uni chem isn't really like hsc chem :L
If you want I can send you some lecture slides to see how it is
That would be great. I'll pm you. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)