• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Courses being undertaken by prospective 2005 students (1 Viewer)

Which area of discipline are you planning to undertake at uws

• College of Arts, Education and Social Sciences

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • College of Law and Business

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • College of Science, Technology and Environment

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • College of Social and Health Sciences

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • others

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Shuter

Jonathan A said:
In terms of crime, a school of thought (Chicago School of Sociology) would say that its a phase - we are currently in the Zone of Transition where crime occurs, move further out, its richer but soon will be subject to more crime as the urban sprawl kicks in.
You can't move much further out, there's a giant mountain range with limited space that you'd have to overcome.

za man

well greater sydney is basically the same as western sydney so its basically not a name change
plus greater sydney university sounds better the university of western sydney

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
hey i'm just wondering.. does uws have o-week? i have no idea wat that is but i've read it in other uni threads and it sounds interesting. :confused:

sorry if it's already been answered

foxydena

HSC
yes uws does have o-week, it's generally the first week on the year and an opportunity for the new students to get use to university life. At Penrith we have stalls where you can join clubs, there's a carnival with plenty of rides, bands playing and a party. i dont't know about the other campuses, someone should fill you in.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Shuter said:
You can't move much further out, there's a giant mountain range with limited space that you'd have to overcome.

The school of thought are sociologists, not natural scientists. Even with a mountain range, the same logic can be applied to our urban areas in Sydney. Its very complicated to explain. The theory is that you have the city zone, as it becomes more populated, people start moving out (transition), less organisation = more crime. We in Sydney are faced with urban sprawl and so we continually expand, this changing our crime-affected areas.

Jonathan A

HSC
happy cup said:
hey i'm just wondering.. does uws have o-week? i have no idea wat that is but i've read it in other uni threads and it sounds interesting. :confused:

I am attending a meeting this week on the organisation of O-Week for UWSConnect. We hope to make this years' better :D

S

Shuter

Jonathan A said:
The school of thought are sociologists, not natural scientists. Even with a mountain range, the same logic can be applied to our urban areas in Sydney. Its very complicated to explain. The theory is that you have the city zone, as it becomes more populated, people start moving out (transition), less organisation = more crime. We in Sydney are faced with urban sprawl and so we continually expand, this changing our crime-affected areas.
The point is it can't expand into the mountains, all the useable space is pretty much utilized already, so there is no room to sprawl more here. If demand for here increases the population won't increase, only the real estate prices. Thus a wealthier area will generally not lead to more crime.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
happy cup said:

o week is fun, theres alot of activities on campus and alot of freebies and games to win stuff

klh

HSC
Jonathan A, if oyu could keep us posted on whats gonna happen would be great or tell us if its similar to last years one.

Jonathan A

HSC
Shuter said:
The point is it can't expand into the mountains, all the useable space is pretty much utilized already, so there is no room to sprawl more here. If demand for here increases the population won't increase, only the real estate prices. Thus a wealthier area will generally not lead to more crime.

You miss the point on my argument altogether. The fact is population is increasing and the zone of transition, which applies to many cities in a similar position to Sydney find that the theory works.

As I said, its a complex theory and judging by your response, I don't think I have explained it properly or you are not understanding it.

Jonathan A

HSC
klh said:
Jonathan A, if oyu could keep us posted on whats gonna happen would be great or tell us if its similar to last years one.

Its all secret information.

Nah, I will try my best to keep people up-to-date. I want to say that UWSConnect is new and at our meeting to be held very very soon, we are going to try and organise a very good O-Week. (At least you got an O-week last year, I only got an O-hour where they told us about our course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)