Courses for foreign relations department? (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm interested in working for the government for foreign relations and so what are the related courses that will benefit me in chasing after this career? I'm currently considering Asia-Pacific Security/Law. However I'm also worried that this may be a very narrow field for job opportunities.

The subjects I'm doing really well in and enjoying are Economics, Modern History, Business Studies and English so my teacher has recommended me to do Economics in university but I'm not a big fan of maths, I can do the first unit of Maths Ext 1 but I don't really want to continue on with it and so I'm not even doing it for Year 12.

Others have also suggested me to consider International Studies, especially International Relations. I'm thinking about International Business but I don't really know which career field that's suited for.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Good field, highly competitive to get into, I'm also keen on going into this field...

as you may know, foreign affairs have different "fields," so to speak... It purely depends on what "field" you wish to go into... Obviously, if you want to go into the economics and trade (business degree would be good for this), International Law and Regulations? (Law, maybe with a double in international relations or something), etc...

That doesn't mean a degree in international relations can't get you a job at DFAT or something...

Constantine

HSC
Thanks for your reply!
Reading it has made me realise how little I actually know about this field. I did know there are different fields of foreign affairs but I do not actually know them individually. I guess I would have a little bit more research into it myself.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
go learn chinese or bahasa and be fluent at it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Law is invaluable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)