• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Court Observation (1 Viewer)

magic

HSC
Is the public allowed to go to a court (supreme/local etc) to observe the proceedings? If allowed, can you enter and leave at anytime or must wait until it finishes. I just wanna know what it is like, might be interesting.

I noticed there is a security check at the entrance of theNSW Supreme Court.

Rorix

HSC
Re: Going to court

magic said:
Is the public allowed to go to a court (supreme/local etc) to observe the proceedings? If allowed, can you enter and leave at anytime or must wait until it finishes. I just wanna know what it is like, might be interesting.

Yes. Yes, enter and leave anytime. And it's pretty boring really.

Rorix

HSC

It's considered proper to bow to the bench on entering and exiting the Court. Other than that, the expected behaviour is just common sense (don't be disruptive etc.)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

I wonder if the judge would be annoyed if I were to bring popcorn to a murder trial? :p

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
magic said:

Most courts have security checks, even local courts. Just make sure you don't have knifes (even little lunch forks), deoderant sprays etc in your bag and you will be fine to go through. You can go in anytime unless its a closed court (it will usually have a sign on the door) just make sure you enter and leave quietly and bow at the bench...oh and be quiet inside too, nothing is worse when you are trying to observe for an assignment when others are talking in the gallery.

dissipate

HSC
N/A

MoonlightSonata said:
I wonder if the judge would be annoyed if I were to bring popcorn to a murder trial? :p
well it might get confiscated...... and then if you see the judge eating popcorn after a recess you'll know where your popcorn went

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)