CPA requirements (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
phungus said:
Ok so i'm gathering that it is not possible to satisfy the course requirements for both CPA and CA recognition by doing a double major?
You can - and its even better if you double major in Accounting and Business Law/Finance, as you'd have more options to choose from

phrred

HSC
velox said:
Generally they dont like you exceeding the limit. If allowed you will have to pay full fee for those units. So I have been told.
Can anyone confirm this?

the only difference in requirements in your undergraduate degree is the INFS course instead of a LEGT course for CPA and CA correct?

phungus

HSC
Well i had a look at a school of accounting brochure i picked up at open day 2 yrs ago i think lol

For a double major, it says we do "5 additional courses in Accounting" and "4 Options" with 7 courses in another discipline (finance for me) incl. the 6 core courses and 2 gen ed courses (thought it was s'posed to be 4?).

So basically that means 9 courses in accounting right (incl. the legt courses)? But in this brochure, there are 10 courses required for CA (basically what's mentioned in the 1st page of this thread...not including INFS1602). This is where i'm confused. 10 is already too much right? And if you include INFS1602 for CPA, that will be another course over... :worried:

So yeh if anyone understood that could you clear it up a bit for me lol

I probably should have updated the required courses tho lol, maybe that's why it doesn't make any sense. But the unsw accounting site is down atm and i dunno where to find em on the CPA and CA sites :(

Thx

phungus

HSC
phrred said:
Can anyone confirm this?

the only difference in requirements in your undergraduate degree is the INFS course instead of a LEGT course for CPA and CA correct?
I've had a look at the requirements on the sites...the differences are INFS1602 is required for CPA but not mandatory for CA, and ACCT3708 & LEGT2751 are required for CA but not mandatory for CPA.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
phungus said:
Well i had a look at a school of accounting brochure i picked up at open day 2 yrs ago i think lol

For a double major, it says we do "5 additional courses in Accounting" and "4 Options" with 7 courses in another discipline (finance for me) incl. the 6 core courses and 2 gen ed courses (thought it was s'posed to be 4?).

So basically that means 9 courses in accounting right (incl. the legt courses)? But in this brochure, there are 10 courses required for CA (basically what's mentioned in the 1st page of this thread...not including INFS1602). This is where i'm confused. 10 is already too much right? And if you include INFS1602 for CPA, that will be another course over... :worried:

So yeh if anyone understood that could you clear it up a bit for me lol

I probably should have updated the required courses tho lol, maybe that's why it doesn't make any sense. But the unsw accounting site is down atm and i dunno where to find em on the CPA and CA sites :(

Thx
?

You need to do these courses for CA:

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Management 1A
ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Management 1B
ACCT2542 Corporate Financial Reporting and Analysis
ACCT3563 Issues in Financial Reporting and Analysis
ACCT2522 Management Accounting: Process Improvement and Innovation
ACCT3583 Stakeholder Value Management
FINS1613 Business Finance
ACCT3708 Auditing and Assurance
LEGT1711 Legal Environment of Commerce
LEGT2721 Business Transactions
LEGT2741 Business Entities
LEGT2751 Business Tax

Alright. For a commerce degree with majors in accounting and finance, you have 144 CP, of which, 36CP are core subjects (ACCT1501/1511, ECON1101/1102/1202/1203), 12CP are GENED, 30CP for ACCT major (5 subj) and 42CP for FINS major (7 subjects). That equals 120CP, meaning you'd have 24CP remaining (4 subjects).

Looking at the requirements, your 7 ACCT subjects (2 core, 5 others) are covered in the CA requirements. FINS1613 is covered from the finance major, which means your 4 options will be taken by the 4 LEGT subjects required by the CA.

= 144CP

phungus

HSC
Ok thx for that. I just realised i've been counting FINS1613 as an accounting subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)