• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CPU GPU Bottleneck? (1 Viewer)

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
hey guys

say, hypothetically, that you had a Intel Core2Duo E7400 CPU running alongside a Gigabyte GTX260, would that create a bottleneck like situation? :confused:
I think that a bottleneck is where the GPU cant perform to its highest potential as the CPU isnt fast enough to handle it?:confused:
pls discuss, as someone, hypothetically, may be getting a PC with this in it

zingerburger

HSC
I suppose this would be the hypothetical version of you. A bottleneck doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is slower than the CPU. It just means something in the computer is slower than something else and doesn't let that second something perform at its peak.

Bottom line is that an E7400 won't be an issue. But RAM-wise, seeing as you didn't mention it, you'd probably want at least 3GB if you don't want a bottleneck there.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
minimum 550w psu and you'll be fine(considering you've decent amount of ram)... 80+ certified.. no cheap shit... go corsair, seasonic or antec, silverstone... stay away from CM, gigabyte, hutkey, shaw and zalman

Babaquazi

HSC
N/A
if the need arises and you have adequate cooling u can o/c ure cpu:)

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
sweet cheers guys, this hypothetical rig is gonna have 4Gb of G.Skill 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM and a 650W PSU, so yeah

and OCing it is a defs with mine, to save a bit of $$$

K

khorne

Bottlenecks occur in various applications for various reasons. For example:

Video editing is usually a RAM or CPU issue and not a GPU issue.

Gaming is generally a GPU issue or Ram issue and not a cpu issue (due to the fact most games are not very cpu intensive)

You need to specify the app.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Gaming is generally a GPU issue or Ram issue and not a cpu issue (due to the fact most games are not very cpu intensive)

You need to specify the app.
Fuck i hate that question in a IT test I did.

Asked what Multi-core processors were used for (Gaming, Video, Text applications and one other.). Apparently you would need a dual core to run MS word.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)