cram for physics? (1 Viewer)

bubble_tea

I have 9 free days before my physics hsc exam! :D

do you think its possible to cram the whole year's worth of physics into those 9 days?

Taking into consideration that I can study full time for at least 8 hrs each day.

lengstar

HSC
Its not just about how long you study but about what you study and how effectively you study. For Physics with your currently mark and school rank you should have a basic grasp of physics already. In corresponding with your maths marks, it should be too hard to remember all the formula's that are required for the HSC those they wont be what gives you the significant marks. Those in the short answer/long answer sections will focus mainly on the theoretical and research side of Physics you were taught such as relativity, superconductivity, photoelectric effect/black body radiation as well as insulators/semi-conductors and how they work. This is all i can remember from the previous HSC. Seeing as I lightly skimmed Physics and left an hour early I didn't do too bad. But if you focus about 3 days straight worth of study you should be able to get a better mark from that in your trials. Cheers.

CrashOveride

HSC
Mz bubbletea don't you do 3unit? Then we both have exactly a week of cramming from then up to the phys exam ^_^

Yes, you can do it. I've virtually never studied properly in physics, always crammed. I got 93% in my trial and from waht i saw in another thread about raw marks released, im tempted to think a raw mark of around 80% would get you band 6.

bubble_tea

CrashOveride said:
Mz bubbletea don't you do 3unit? Then we both have exactly a week of cramming from then up to the phys exam ^_^

Yes, you can do it. I've virtually never studied properly in physics, always crammed. I got 93% in my trial and from waht i saw in another thread about raw marks released, im tempted to think a raw mark of around 80% would get you band 6.
I dropped 3U straight after the trials! >.< stupid me, even though my marks were crap i should have at least kept it since it weighs so much.. how much time did you spend studying physics before your trials?

CrashOveride

HSC
About 3 days, crammed all day long =p

Apart from the previous assessment, that was all the study i had ever done for phys. Earlier assessment tasks were like presenatations, prac tests etc. easier stuff and i pretty much had no idea what was going on in the lessons all year long, i only learnt stuff by doing it myself at home. It's up to your style..i learn much better just reading the books myself.

Jase

HSC
I ussually start cramming a few days in advance.. but I don't feel i can study for physics anymore, i know everything so it just gets boring. Last year, I learnt the entire years work in a week because i never did anything the whole year... and i mean.. absolutely nothing.But i topped the grade which was like, a huge surprise. So yes it's possible.

Just chain yourself in the basement with pens and books and horsewhip youself over the back if neccesary, anyway all i can say is go hard and good luck..

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
mz_bubbletea: Its a real shame that you are going to have to cram physics just before the HSC. If I were you, I wouldn't be counting on it to go into your UAI. But that aside, it is possible to cram for physics, however it really depends on where you are standing at right now. Do you know some of the work already?

If you are starting from scratch(which I hope you are not), it is possible to cram, but don't be expecting much. Assuming you have 9 days, and 8 hours a day, that equates to 72 hours, and 18 hours per topic (3 core + 1option)

Plan: Spend 3 hours on each topic, learning the work
Spend 3 hours writing notes on each topic.

24 hours down, 48 to go.
Buy the Success One book.
Spend 4 hours on each topic, doing ALL the questions in the book.

32 hours to go.
Spend the next 30 hours doing past papers in the following order:
HSC 2003, 2002, 2001
STANSW 2003, 2002, 2001
These are all available from the Success One book, in the latter setions.
Then do: this years trial papers, as many as you can cram in, only after completing the above papers.

Spend the last 2 hours the night before the exam reading over notes, and flipping through textbook, just relaxing. Sleep early, and hope for the best.

wow, that was a long post, and a good one too;) now gimme rep ppls :D

bubble_tea

where can you buy success one books from?

hm, i'm aiming to get above 60%, I've got 12units so I'm guessing physics won't count - due to my horrible rank but hey i guess its worth a shot at it.

CrashOveride

HSC
I never relied on note making, so if its your style then shoot but i rkn its kind of waste of time but whatever works for you ^^

Jase

HSC
I ussually rewrite my own textbook, which is incredibly tedious.. and then move on to past papers.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
mz_bubbletea said:

do you think its possible to cram the whole year's worth of physics into those 9 days?

Taking into consideration that I can study full time for at least 8 hrs each day.
The simple answer... yes :)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
mz_bubbletea said:

9 days, nice :)
think about it this way
if you dont get 95+/100 raw
then you are a dumb ass :)

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
You could definately do it.. So long as you had a decent understanding of it prior.
But don't do STANSW tests, they are awful.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
okay i only atempted the HSC once, and i did what i said above. including STANSW trials. (they were in the success one book, so i did them:p)

speersy: it works.. albeit cramming is not the best thing to do

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
you can't compare them directly. success one provides practice questions, excel tries to explain the work. think exams vs textbook

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
FD3S-R said:
is the success one book much better than the hsc excel one???
As with what timmy said.
The success one book is great. You really need to see the sorts of questions they will be asking you on the day, and they give you the sort of responses they want as well. It has helped me a lot.
It has 3 HSC papers with fully worked answers and 2 STANSW test (but they suck).
But then it goes through every topic (space, motors and generators, idea-impl. ... and all the option topics) and has sample answers for them.
Its really useful. But for theory, excel all the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)