Crash Scene Desensitisation: Entertainment or Horror? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm not ashamed to be compared to zimmerman. I'm not morphing into anything, I don't know who you thought I was.

Your whole argument rests on the presumption of the existence of god, which lets face it, no one cares about any more. Without god, it's all an irrelevancy, your argument has no appeal or relevancy to secular society.

@ tully, others.

Fine, it's not normal (I don't agree, but for the sake of argument). It still doesn't mean it's wrong. Normality isn't morality.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Your fate is SEALED

YOURE OFF THE ARK

Jackets

HSC
when i had my car crash, the entire street just stood there and watched. some people even called their friends to come watch.

did i really care? nah, not really. i'd probably do the same.

there were a few good people there who tried to do what they could to make sure me and my brother were okay.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
When some kids ditched their car into our neighbours tree, my parents, myself and one other couple, were the only people to even step out our door. The car was a write off and the kids were pretty shaken up. No one else even bothered to look. It was past ten at night and loud as hell, so there's no way anyone missed it. They could have been dying.

We felt it was horrible and despaired at the state of society.

ROBD09

HSC
I, myself, have unfortunately been witness to a few events that require medical and police attention. One was a car crash outside my house.

The car crash was something else. Loud crashes, screeching tyres, and as I was inside at the time, I heard screams from my family outside to call the ambulance. Some chick had taken her older brothers car for a spin, lost control when the turbo kicked in and slid into the trees at the front of our house. At first, I stood back and took everything in. Whether you'd label me as a night-gown wearing spectator or not at this stage is up to you, but after I realised what had happened, I ran up to see what I could. Not much, I'll agree, but the adrenaline overcame me and I felt I needed to at least offer my assistance.

Then the neighbours from across the street, and even a few hundred metres down the road came up to have a look, and started to chat with my grandparents, who obviously weren't able to offer their assistance. So as my father and I sorted through the trees and destroyed bodykit of a previously beautiful Nissan Silvia S15, they lazily watched and discussed about how kids today are idiots. Touching to hear, as I was there doing all I can, while they stood back and watched.

So, yes, i do agree that we are supremely sensitised to car crashes, and as a society prefer the enterainment value over the shock value. In my opinion, its fucking stupid =/

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Implicit in the article is the assumption that human life is 'special'. I question the basis of that assumption.

As for the spectators, people are voyeuristic by nature. Reading celebrity magazines, viewing the nightly news and watching people die in car accidents are, I would argue, not dissimilar.

This article reminds me of the novel Crash by Ballard. It has the same inspiration.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Implicit in the article is the assumption that human life is 'special'. I question the basis of that assumption.

As for the spectators, people are voyeuristic by nature. Reading celebrity magazines, viewing the nightly news and watching people die in car accidents are, I would argue, not dissimilar.

This article reminds me of the novel Crash by Ballard. It has the same inspiration.
Article was fake wasn't it? April 1st it was published, right?

Gloves

HSC
why are we so intrigued by death?

when i had my accident, it was distressing to see people PHONING their friends and family to come and watch what had happened instead of trying to help.

fucking pricks.

HSC
why are we so intrigued by death?

when i had my accident, it was distressing to see people PHONING their friends and family to come and watch what had happened instead of trying to help.

fucking pricks.
yeah i would have totally pissed on you for being arab or someshit

but yeah i dont get it either

Gloves

HSC
yeah i would have totally pissed on you for being arab or someshit

but yeah i dont get it either
Maybe it's like the Eclipse of the moon. You don't see it many times in your life time, and so when you do, you stare and point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)