Creative Story Ideas? (1 Viewer)

iiloveschool

HSC
anyone have anything not to cliche' or just a great idea worth sharing :D

Ba56

HSC
I find that for belonging a reflective story really works; you don't have to use traditional conflict and resolution structure. It can be just a slower-moving one to explore the philosophical concept.

I was getting very good marks for this one along those lines;
http://samehands.blogspot.com/2010/12/watcher-short-story.html

This means that it's more about ONE focus; you come up with a character and develop it, then that will create a setting and it's reasonably easy to reflect upon how the character addresses belonging; by belonging, by not, by choosing not to, by no longer belonging etc.

As far as the plot outlines go, i'm not in favour of them.
Maybe something really basic to give you a very simple idea of a setting (time, place, environment) or basics of a character. Don't try to bend your story to follow a plot, because it may not even really need a plot to explore belonging.

Last edited:

iiloveschool

HSC
thanks! yes i agree with the plot idea as well.
i will be sure to check out the link as well!

forbidden01

HSC
if you need any help with creative writing i can try to help.

My teachers told me to try to find a metaphor for belonging and start there.

I tried to do one about abuse because obviously, no one "belongs" in an abusive situation. if you want me to, i can post it up here....or something.

i also tried to do one about a bride who didn't feel as though she belonged in not only the situation of actually getting married, but in the relationship itself.

advice :
- if you're describing a place, be very detailed, but don't tell the marker where it is that you are, unless it's necessary.
- if you're describing a person, go from head to toe, or toe to head, don't jump around.
- use different sentence structures, short and concise can work in your favour if you're writing about certain things (especially if it's negative or if you really want to emphasize something.)
- make sure you don't go on and on about the same thing.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just ensure your character is earthy, believable and you keep it rather 'real' and you should be good. I usually just randomly start writing about what I know - works great.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're ethnic write about something in your culture. e.g. If you're chinese then write a story about chinese new year.

and throw in some chinese words along the way, markers jizz at that shit.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're ethnic write about something in your culture. e.g. If you're chinese then write a story about chinese new year.

and throw in some chinese words along the way, markers jizz at that shit.
So true, they love to see an understanding of diversity and other crap like that.

iiloveschool

HSC
if you need any help with creative writing i can try to help.

My teachers told me to try to find a metaphor for belonging and start there.

I tried to do one about abuse because obviously, no one "belongs" in an abusive situation. if you want me to, i can post it up here....or something.

i also tried to do one about a bride who didn't feel as though she belonged in not only the situation of actually getting married, but in the relationship itself.

advice :
- if you're describing a place, be very detailed, but don't tell the marker where it is that you are, unless it's necessary.
- if you're describing a person, go from head to toe, or toe to head, don't jump around.
- use different sentence structures, short and concise can work in your favour if you're writing about certain things (especially if it's negative or if you really want to emphasize something.)
- make sure you don't go on and on about the same thing.

thankks! creative writing can just be difficult sometimes, especially cause im not creative!
but i will definately take your suggestions on board. i have an idea of where i want the narrative to go, now to start it!

iiloveschool

HSC
and thankks to the other comments! as i mentioned just before, i have an idea but im just procrastinating to start!
thanks again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)