Creative - what constitutes plagarism? (1 Viewer)

randomnocity

HSC
if i have been given a past students creative and have changed characters, place and some events, but kept the general idea, will i be pulled up for plagarism in the hsc? or will i be in the clear??

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Absolutezero: A good way of testing if something is plagiarism or not is if you have to ask if it is or not, then it most likely is. Will you be caught? It's not worth the risk. You could just write one in 7 days.

randomnocity

HSC
i wrote one for the trial and got away with it, but obviously its marked internally

so your saying to scrap it and just go again??

RishBonjour

HSC
If you took the core idea but everything else is different its fine IMO. But if you merely changed the names of characters and names of places, that would be plagiarism.

so you should be fine.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I would not risk plagiarism (you've come so far, why risk the hard work with a chance of getting caught?)

randomnocity

HSC
this is gonna make me sound like an idiot and a lazy prick :p but what are the real chances of the same marker marking the same group of schools two yrs in a row?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
this is gonna make me sound like an idiot and a lazy prick :p but what are the real chances of the same marker marking the same group of schools two yrs in a row?
Probably low, but you never know.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Absolutezero: A good way of testing if something is plagiarism or not is if you have to ask if it is or not, then it most likely is. Will you be caught? It's not worth the risk. You could just write one in 7 days.
:)

And it definitely applies here. Yes, it's plagiarism. You're clearing taking someone else's ideas and passing them off as your own.

Whether you'd be caught is a different story. You could probably get away with it. However, you also could be caught, and honestly, it's not really worth it. You've got a week to come up with something even better.

NBGHHS

HSC
You don't know, teachers who've marked previous year's creative may catch onto plagiarism.
Keep in mind that they are marking practically hundreds of papers in one go, so they're no willing to screw about.

Lucas_

HSC
Not that I agree with what you are doing, but again, you even said it yourself. What are the chances that a marker who has read the creative you are basing it off is marking your work?

Slim to none. Unless you are moulding it on a creative being sold or freely available of the BOS resources page. Then you are going to get fucked.

This may or may not be true, but I heard that the manuscripts from past HSCs are destroyed after x years? If this is the case, how would they prove you copied another student ?

CJBest

HSC
What about if your using a current students story, who isn't planning on using it for the HSC....

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What about if your using a current students story, who isn't planning on using it for the HSC....
It's still plagiarism. You won't get caught if it's never been used, but it's still plagiarism.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
they're destroyed in may of the next year apparently :)
Not that I agree with what you are doing, but again, you even said it yourself. What are the chances that a marker who has read the creative you are basing it off is marking your work?

Slim to none. Unless you are moulding it on a creative being sold or freely available of the BOS resources page. Then you are going to get fucked.

This may or may not be true, but I heard that the manuscripts from past HSCs are destroyed after x years? If this is the case, how would they prove you copied another student ?

MasonT

HSC
Coming from a school of discretion ... just do it LOOL!! Like seriously, a teacher will devote 3 minutes of their lives to read it. As if they will claim something is copied :L

nifkeh

HSC
I think they do scan the responses though? idk. Like the top ranking ones at least

2xL

HSC
Honestly, if its just a band 6 and not, say a 97+ HSC Mark, story.. you'll get away with it. They read your story for 5 minutes. They read heaps each year, they aren't going to remember the plot after a whole year (12 months is a long time to remember something you read for 5 minutes). Just use it dude.

lgnorance

HSC
If its good to the point you say it is, you may want to reconsider as they tend to scan the top responses and put it in the HSC exam workbook for English. You can get jumped pretty easily from there. Also, if your essay happens to be used as pilot marking, all the teachers who are marking the HSC would mark it and it is quite likely that you will be caught if this is the case.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
If its good to the point you say it is, you may want to reconsider as they tend to scan the top responses and put it in the HSC exam workbook for English. You can get jumped pretty easily from there. Also, if your essay happens to be used as pilot marking, all the teachers who are marking the HSC would mark it and it is quite likely that you will be caught if this is the case.
I thought those workbook only have responses to the short answer, or not.. what's actually inside of those?

thekennel-

HSC
what if i copy someones who goes too a school near my school? what are the chances of me getting caught?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)