Creative Writing Dilemma. (1 Viewer)

Sharleexx

HSC
Hi all.

So I've been told by my class teacher that for the creative writing section, it's better to 'show them' instead of 'tell them'. Ie: "I wrapped the scarf around my neck" instead of "it was cold weather" (lousy example but you get the gist)

However, my private english tutor says to get straight to the point, which means instead of showing them with my action, I should be straight forward and tell them what it is. ie: "The weather was cold".

(I hope that made sense)

I'm confused on which advice to take. =S

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Do both STARlee. Tell them its cold weather and then elaborate -

This is a very bad example -

The weather was cold.
"My lips began to quiver."

If you simply state what's happening or about to happen, the reader will get bored. Your tutors on crack. :uhhuh: Short stories need description, make the reader (in our case the marker) guess.

Last edited:

ebbjade

HSC
i usually write and show atmosphere and significance. like, say what your doing, but give a reason why.

Sharleexx

HSC
Thank you guys =)

Also another question..

Approximately how long/short does your creative writing have to be?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Sharleexx said:
Thank you guys =)

Also another question..

That depends on how much you can write in the recommended time. If you're pre-preparing your short story make it roughly 600-800 words long and write it so that it'll be adaptable to any stimulus thrown at you. :)
But in the end it really depends on what you're most comfortable with.

Also remember that the creative writing section does not restrict you to writing about only what you have studied - so if you studied imaginative journeys at school but in the exam, decide you want to write about a physical journey - then you can.

My piece is 652 words :D - Inner journey (although i studied imaginative), easy to remember and its adaptable.

Good luck. :D

Last edited:

claireaye

HSC
The one thing my english teacher was stressing at the end of last term was to use more imagery - similes etc. The thing with creative writing is most people can establish a fairly good atmosphere etc from using appropriate verbs/adjectives but if you can tack on an appropriate simile at the end of a descriptive passage it really helps. Basically when you write your story you make a list of vocab to do with the subject matter/location so if your setting was a church you make a list and then maybe if you were describing the sermon given by the priest you would say something like:

The priest's words rang out clearly in the church like the sound of bells tolling on a Sunday morning.

Sorry that's a horrible example but hopefully you get the gist. Basically the idea is that you use fitting analogies etc to create an image that also fits well with the setting and subject matter...

(I hope that makes sense - I'm finding it very hard to articulate myself at the moment... Too much english.)

Jerruy

HSC
do advanced students HAVE to write imaginative and standards HAVE to write physical?? Or can it be any?

Sharleexx

HSC
Jerruydo advanced students HAVE to write imaginative and standards HAVE to write physical?? Or can it be any?
You can write about which ever journey you want. It's not a set theme, unless you're answering section three (AOS essay) - which is the one you went through in class.

tanjinQuote:
Originally Posted by Sharleexx
Thank you guys =)

Also another question..

That depends on how much you can write in the recommended time. If you're pre-preparing your short story make it roughly 600-800 words long and write it so that it'll be adaptable to any stimulus thrown at you. :)
But in the end it really depends on what you're most comfortable with.

Also remember that the creative writing section does not restrict you to writing about only what you have studied - so if you studied imaginative journeys at school but in the exam, decide you want to write about a physical journey - then you can.

My piece is 652 words :D - Inner journey (although i studied imaginative), easy to remember and its adaptable.
Thanks tanjin! My creative piece is like around 600 words too. + I'm hoping it's adaptable.. lol who knows until I get the question. Haha. Well see ya friday nigger =P

PS: Good luck to you, and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)