Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

bmc

HSC
Does anyone else think the creative writing is unbelievable difficult. Whatever I come up with is so cliche'd and runs off a cliff after about a page.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
One thing to remember is that the creative sections are where you apply all the theory you've been learning for a year, so as long as you display an awareness of some of the vital components of the type of story you're trying to write coupled with a good command of technique in language then you will do ok. The better examples often display an more innovative manipulation of the style and features of a RFTG or pomo or I&S story, however not every piece is incredibly subversive so you should not bend over backwards trying to be incredibly innovative and subversive if that is just not your thing.

Also, rather than pre-preparing a story (which is bad since they can ask you to do just about anything for the creative...), it may perhaps be better to practice writing certain characters of your own invention and from your prescribed texts in various stories so that you have a basic framework to work from when you attempt the exam.

bmc

HSC
LOL yes i think ill steer clear of that. But then it might come in handy to fill in a wiriting booklet

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Write an erotic scene if it serves your story, relates to the question and is done well and with subtlety and moderation. That said, very few people within our age range can pull that off so if you're actually thinking of attempting be very careful. It would in fact be my advice not to write anything deliberately 'erotic' for your exam at least without writing up some examples and showing them to your teacher first.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
I think he was joking, guys...
Many of live.fasts posts seem to be such, however many people will wander into this thread at some stage and its better that they leave it without confusion than with.:)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You should employ whichever 'person' comes most naturally to you, and faccilitates the type of story you wish to tell. You won't get marked down for using third person.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Actually thats not completely true, there are several modes in each person. For example third person 'limited'; where the description is 'anchored' around a certain character and thus so is the knowledge - the narrator knows all and tells all about a certain character but is as in the dark about everything else as the main character .

Then you have third person 'omniscient' which is all knowing and thus far more authoritative in tone. And also third person 'objective' where the author knows nothing but what is currently being seen or heard (as opposed to thought and felt) rather like a video camera.

First person is similarly split in to 'protagonist' and 'witness', where you have a character within the story narrating - rather than direct emotion from the characters involved we are getting a narration not too dissimilar form third person limited. Whereas protagonist is the traditional "I did this" type of speech.

Second person is where you write 'you did this, you walked there, you spanked that elephant', and is often an immense flop [though it can be useful in depictions of insanity]. Second person can also often present difficulties in that it requires a certain amount of 'co-operation' between reader and protagonist. Here's an excerpt from Jack Hodgins Passion of Narrative to demonstrate:

"I went along with you when you told me I entered the rooom. I didn't mind when you told me I accepted the drink. But when you told me that I put a hand on your thigh, I went 'No way, pal. I'm outta this story right now!''​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)