Creatively blending in ways of thinking with I&S (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
Hi there

I have this creative piece I need to write where I choose particular scene from a text (either Dolls House or Pride and Prejudice) and re-create it. This is straight-forward enough, but how would u recommend blending the element of indivdiual and society with the ways of thinking at the time (like philosophical, religious, economic, scientific paradigms)..?

I recently did a critical piece on this for 2 other Victorian texts and I was able to use ways of thinking to illustrate (or back up, provide evidence) for individual and society, which went quite well. However, creative writing hasn't been my strong point and I'm having trouble in doing this.

I started writing a diary entry as Elizabeth Bennet after she sees Pemberley and meets the 'transformed' Darcy, but I don't think I'm making enough (if any) reference to ways of thinking. This idea isn't overly creative (journal entry ?), but basically I was hoping to do anything that I could incorporate ways of thinking while still maintaining the piece to be creative.

Any ideas?

Kiev

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't Lizzy's thoughts and opinions as made evident in her diary entry be those of the individual? And she is unlikely to be expressing an opinion if it is the same as what the rest of socieyt thinks...therefore, whatever she opposes or what aspects she mentions is different from her own opinion of something should reflect the ways of thinking of society. Am I making sense?

pig_93

HSC
i think ur idea is great! fantastic!
cos not only do u have her saying what she thinks about darcy and the conventions... you have her saying this in first person, asserting her autonmy, independance and self determination...
if u can manipulate it well to assert these things, then u can do a really a good job

stargaze

HSC
wow how did this thread come back after no one replied for ages? :p

Anyway, I did that assessment a while ago now.. ended up doing a letter Lady Catharine de Burgh to Darcy and then a reply from Darcy.. It was in response to the rumours of an engagement between Darcy and Elizabeth..

For my standards, it did quite well (cos previously my creative work has below par),

thanks anyways.. have another I & S / ways of thinking piece to do now.. Basically its creative piece (1000-2000 words) in regards to I & S and the various paradigms at the time... So very open, as long as it set in Victorian England.. Any ideas for that one? thanks

pig_93

HSC
haha thats heaps open
u can just crap on about social conventions and the individual breaking away from them...ie their self determination and autonomy shining through!!
btw what school are u at (im just curious...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)