credit points (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
just wondering why some units (particularly those from the efs dept), have only 3 credit points while units from other departments are worth 4??

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
i think the ones worth 4 are year long units
dont quote me on this though

flamin'

nah.. credit points is like the work load typa thing... so harder stuff is 4 credit points and easier stuff or normal stuff is 3 credit points... i think of it as 4 unit math or 3 unit math...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh they're harder??

cuz i was thinking of taking another unit on this semester and changing my whole program so that all my electives are POLITICS units, which are all worth 4 credit points each....

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
why is it that at MQ, when you progress to 2nd and 3rd year, you still do 4 subjects each semester.. while at other uni's their 2nd and 3rd year subjects are higher credit points and they only end up doing 3 subjects per semester which is still a full time workload??

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
But then the workload is still the same. You can still do 3 subjects here a semester and be considered as full time. the fact is doing 3 subjects worth 4 credit points each has the same workload as doing 4 subjects worth 3 credit points each.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Actually most courses at most unis have 4 subjects per semester in second year. But its true that very few have 4 subjects per semester in final year (MQ inclusive). But this is not always the case with EFS.

Orangeguy is spot on. Theoretically, its the same whether you do 3 subjects worth 4 credit pts each or 4 subjects worth 3 credit pts each. It requires the same number of hours of study and effort.

Last edited:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh when you look at it that way it makes sense...

i didn't think of the workload... i was just working out how i can get thru my degree doing as less units as possible... that is to do subjects with 4cp+ each...

on another note, has anyone here done any politics units? how are they compared to other subjects and are they as interesting as they sound... i'm considering adding POL264 with acst101, accg105, econ111 and econ141... do you think that those 5 together are overkill???

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I think it's possible to do 5 subjects. But to do well, it depends how willing you are to sacrifice your spare time. First year actuarials have to take a 5 subject (15cp) semester, but then they study too hard, so it's hard to tell. =p

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
most people who do first year law did 13cp last semester because Jurisprudence is worth 4cp (only 1 semester long tho)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
jlh said:
why is it that at MQ, when you progress to 2nd and 3rd year, you still do 4 subjects each semester.. while at other uni's their 2nd and 3rd year subjects are higher credit points and they only end up doing 3 subjects per semester which is still a full time workload??
mac does that as well, later years are worth more cp

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
but that only for the arts faculty...

all 200/300 efs units are 3cp each except for a few...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)