HSC
i thought the CF essay was allright,
it's just that i think i may hav mis interpreted the Q
a bit
the mystery and discovery made the question narrow
+ i hate ext english anyway lol

sillysana

HSC
Yeah!! it was way better then some trial and past papers, truly!

I think i did ok...but i really cant tell how they mark

N4FE

HSC
It was sort of like "Well, duh," Which made it kind of hard to elaborate on in any great detail. So I found myself struggling to get the 13 pages of content, whereas I wrote 2 and a half booklets in the same time for the story.

p342i

HSC
I saw this question as pertaining to two different yet related things.

Firstly, discovery can equate to the resolution of the crime and the education of values upon the audience; whilst mystery obvious can equal the convention of mystery itself, the crime etc...

Through that perception, I think you could answer it by saying that indeed, crime fiction locates us in these places merely through the conventions, ideas and values of crime fiction: which all entain both discovery and mystery.

The second interpretation i think is to say that crime fiction transports us to a realm of discovery and mystery through experimentation within its conventions, rituals, traditions etc... Bascially saying that it is the power of genre to adapt in accordance with context and audience to do this.

Its a bit hard to articulate right now; but what I mean to say is that the mystery is embodies in the unpredictability of the genre [i.e. its ability to experiemnt] whilst discovery can be found in the evolution of the form which in turn enlightens readers.

As it is; I structured my essay around the Aesthetic, Ritualistic and Ideological spheres; and through each of them conveyed both of the interpretations afore.

I thought all in all it was a good question that seems to be following the trend set down this year by BOS. They are challenging students not by messing around with text type [which essentaily benefits no one and just deterrs from a quality response] but instead are using more difficult and interpretive questions.

I really wanted to see if the length the exemplar response got to [22 pages] was really possible.

As it turns out, I did 20 complete pages, and I had around 7 minutes to go at the end of the entire exam; so I'm reasonably satisfied.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
I discussed in the sense that the mystery in crime fiction is created through the constants in which we as the reader or audience are drawn by the detectives powers of deduction or investigative techniques in trying to conclude who is the murderer? and will a sense of closurer be achieved?
But that it is through the evolving nature of the genre exploring new notions and ideas such as the use of technology to solve crime, how the role of the detective changes in different societies and is the serving of justice always fair? that the reader/audience discovers something new about themselves, the world they live in or as to how the boundaries of the crime fiction genre are being expanded in modern times.

sillysana

HSC
p342i said:
I saw this question as pertaining to two different yet related things.

Firstly, discovery can equate to the resolution of the crime and the education of values upon the audience; whilst mystery obvious can equal the convention of mystery itself, the crime etc...

Through that perception, I think you could answer it by saying that indeed, crime fiction locates us in these places merely through the conventions, ideas and values of crime fiction: which all entain both discovery and mystery.

The second interpretation i think is to say that crime fiction transports us to a realm of discovery and mystery through experimentation within its conventions, rituals, traditions etc... Bascially saying that it is the power of genre to adapt in accordance with context and audience to do this.

Its a bit hard to articulate right now; but what I mean to say is that the mystery is embodies in the unpredictability of the genre [i.e. its ability to experiemnt] whilst discovery can be found in the evolution of the form which in turn enlightens readers.

As it is; I structured my essay around the Aesthetic, Ritualistic and Ideological spheres; and through each of them conveyed both of the interpretations afore.

I thought all in all it was a good question that seems to be following the trend set down this year by BOS. They are challenging students not by messing around with text type [which essentaily benefits no one and just deterrs from a quality response] but instead are using more difficult and interpretive questions.

I really wanted to see if the length the exemplar response got to [22 pages] was really possible.

As it turns out, I did 20 complete pages, and I had around 7 minutes to go at the end of the entire exam; so I'm reasonably satisfied.
Your way too smart for your own good, and you make me feel like i was writing year 10 eglish lol...anyway goodluck and all....someones going to be doing a medical degree next year!!

passion89

HSC
It was a good question and I smiled when I saw it lol. When I saw the creative writing question...I stopped smiling.

p342i

HSC
sillysana said:
Your way too smart for your own good, and you make me feel like i was writing year 10 eglish lol...anyway goodluck and all....someones going to be doing a medical degree next year!!
Thanks alot Sillysan.

Are you going to be doing medicine next year? If so where at? Medicine would be my second career of choice except for the fact that my Dad's a doctor, and I'm going to be a lawyer.

Good luck everyone with the rest of your exams!

swanelle

HSC
Yeah, I also wrote about how mystery was derived from the use of conventions - such as setting, the detective figure, and accretion of evidence
While discovery was due to the construction of texts within the crime fiction genre, and the manipulation of these conventions, which leads the responder to discover the malleable nature of crime fiction definitions, and hence the diversity of the genre.
16 and a half pages each, for creative and analytical
All in all, I'm very happy

chrismund

HSC
i spoke about how 'vehicles for other focuses' puts the reader in a place off discovery. woo 15/25 for chris!

sounds like p342i killed it

darcho

HSC
N/A
swanelle said:
Yeah, I also wrote about how mystery was derived from the use of conventions - such as setting, the detective figure, and accretion of evidence
While discovery was due to the construction of texts within the crime fiction genre, and the manipulation of these conventions, which leads the responder to discover the malleable nature of crime fiction definitions, and hence the diversity of the genre.
16 and a half pages each, for creative and analytical
All in all, I'm very happy
amen to that. lets hope they like it. i also wrote the dicovery part is included with the vehicle for other focuses thing.

I used:
Skull beneath the skin
The Big sleep
"Mr Monk and the employee of the month"
Minority report.

Anyone have their core texts different?Anyone use hound?

Princesa

HSC
i did pretty close to the same as swanelle. for my texts i did

- real inspector hound
- big sleep
- death on the nile
- the speckled band

all in all i think it was alright, although i reckon i did better in creative - which trust me, is a surprise b/c i am perhaps the most uncreative person in the world, lol (which gives you a pretty good guess on the kind of marks i expect! yay!).

good luck in the rest of everyone's exams!!

Elaine1988

HSC
aaargh!

my creative- great. 16 pages of original, pure gold of the bicycle dude lying in a hospital recalling his crime at that picture setting

the essay..terrible, im thinking now. i panicked, said that to no extent does crime fiction locate us to places of mystery and discovery, it provides insights of a genre's societal values and attitudes and based my essay around that. i hope this was ok, and not changing the qustion too much for my benefit?
good thing that i managed to get in three related and 2 prescibed texts.
what do yoiu think? was this a gross turnaround of the question? i did 12 pages.

Bianca M

HSC
This is my first post... feel honored Elaine?
I like your tact, infact I attempted to take it myself. But instead of saying it was not all about the former, i said the former was the latter of what you said.

To clarify that, 'mystery' is fantasy etc, whereas 'discovery' remains the same. So basically, my claim was no discovery through mystery, rather crime fiction embodies a society's fears and strengths, thus allows us as a responder to discover the values/meaning of conventional change. In total, discovery is ascertained through realism.

I'm pretty sure it sounded clearer than that this morning...

sillysana

HSC
p342i said:
Thanks alot Sillysan.

Are you going to be doing medicine next year? If so where at? Medicine would be my second career of choice except for the fact that my Dad's a doctor, and I'm going to be a lawyer.

Good luck everyone with the rest of your exams!
No im not doing a medical degree, i was implying that i thought you would!

Im actually interested in a degree in international studies or tourism management! thanks for asking.

p342i

HSC
sillysana said:
No im not doing a medical degree, i was implying that i thought you would!

Im actually interested in a degree in international studies or tourism management! thanks for asking.
International studies is pretty cool; dont let people make you think that its just a glorified arts degree. I was thinking about combining that with law but then I got sucked in to the corporate sector; so I'll probably end up doing commerce/law - ARRRRR

I'm going to turn into such an ass hole if I do that lol.

UrielDevil

HSC
I thought the essay question was awful! Essay = death :chainsaw:

But, i don't care anymore because WE NEVER HAVE TO DO ENGLISH AGAIN! Yay. :D

Cabrello

HSC
loved the essay question to death...worked the view that mystery is developed by the conventions, but that crime fiction has a double nature when revealing discvery...there si the superficial discovery and resolution within the text, but outside of the text there was the audience's discovery of more about a society....I think I focused too much on discovery, I was just running out of time in the exam..I'd already done an hour and 10 nd just rounded myself off before getting round to my third supp whhich wldve been poe.

Ended up with
Hound
Big Sleep
Original Face
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

screwed up the creative piece though. Will still count for me, mostly because maths extension I was such a joke

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)