CRIME FICTION - intro. what do u think?? (1 Viewer)

emma_o2

HSC
This is my generic intro/statement of intention with additional material. My additional material is "The Dying Trade" by Peter Corris and "Native Tongue" by Carl Hiaasen - has anyone else read these books? I like them - especially Hiaasen! Just let me know what you think, any comments/feedback/marking would be fantastic!!

After considering the ways in which genres can be adapted to different times and cultures I have developed an understanding of how this reflects the values and attitudes of each society. The diversity of texts under the crime fiction bracket has led to its equally broad appeal. Authors and directors both subvert and adhere to conventions for their own purpose and this variety of conventions has in itself become a convention of crime fiction.
“The Big Sleep”, directed by Howard Hawkes in 1946 and The Dying Trade, written by Peter Corris in 1980 are both firmly hard boiled crime fiction texts. Both Hawkes and Corris have created a detective to fit the mould and their texts focus more on style then substance. The two texts adhere to most hard boiled conventions, to create a quintessential hard boiled crime fiction novel and film.
“The Skull Beneath the Skin” (“Skull”) an 1982 novel by P.D James and “Native Tongue” written by Carl Hiaasen in 1991 include a cornucopia of different genres and conventions which alert the audience to the fact that their authors are making a message. In “Skull”, James utilises her knowledge of conventions to mock and play with them, saying that sometimes predictability can be boring. Hiaasen, in “Native Tongue” creates humour by stretching and subverting conventions.

emma_o2

HSC
it isnt in answer to a question..just something i hope to mould to the HSC question..do you think its ok??

TheHeretic

Adapting to the question is better than trying to mould an introduction to fit the question.

Also, I question (yes, I am seeing how many times I can use the word question in this sentance to answer the question) the statements you are making.

minstrel

HSC
good use of syllabus genre jargon

perhaps you could define har-boiled and the other sub-genres before talking about the books that examplify their characteristics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)