Crime Fiction - Quotes from The Big Sleep (1 Viewer)

Leap

free falling
HSC
I have absolutely no quotes from the Big Sleep, can someone help me out?? :(

badlysketched

this is what they had on a critic site... hope it helps -

"My, my, my. Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains." -- Philip Marlowe (Humphrey Bogart)

"You may smoke, too. I can still enjoy the smell of it. Nice thing when a man has to indulge his vices by proxy." -- General Sternwood (Charles Waldron) to Marlowe

"So you're a private detective. I didn't know they existed, except in books - or else they were greasy little men snooping around hotel corridors. My, you're a mess, aren't you?" -- Vivian Sherwood Rutledge (Lauren Bacall) to Marlowe

"If I seem a bit sinister as a parent, Mr. Marlowe, it's because my hold on life is too slight to include any Victorian hypocrisy. I need hardly add that any man who has lived as I have and indugles for the first time in parenthood at the age of 55 deserves all he gets." -- General to Marlowe

Marlowe to Vivian -- "Speaking of horses... you've got a touch of class, but I don't know how far you can go."
Vivian -- "A lot depends on who's in the saddle. Go ahead Marlowe. I like the way you work. In case you don't know it, you're doing all right."

oh and another is "how do u like your brandy sir?" "in a glass"

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
'there are so many guns in this city and so few brains'

thats all ive got.. i didnt watch the film sorry.. kind of just pretended to...
That's a good quote. I also like; It started out as a blackmail case, and all at once, things began to happen. Works really well when discussing the plot's non-linear nature...

Leap

free falling
HSC
thank you all so much!
you've reduced my panic to some extent, but I'm still soooo unprepared...sigh.

loveforever

HSC
Here's some more quotes, I hope they're useful to someone. :)

“So you’re a private detective. I didn’t know they existed, except in books. Or else they were greasy little men snooping around hotel corners.” Vivian to Marlowe.

“It comes complete with diagrams on page forty-seven of “How to Be a Detective in Ten Easy Lessons” correspondence school textbook.” Marlowe to Vivian.

Mars: Is it any of your business?
Marlowe: I could make it my business.
Mars: I could make your business mine.
Marlowe: But you wouldn’t like it. The pay’s too small.

“And you’ll have to send Carmen away from a lot of things. They have places for that. Maybe they can cure her – it’s been done before.” Marlowe to Vivian.

”You take chances” Brody, Mars to Marlowe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)