crime fiction story (1 Viewer)

Illidan

HSC
will you all comment of my story please? The question is from the 2003 HSC "You stole my Character!" Imagine you are a central character in one of the prescribed texts. You resent the way your character has been manipulated by the compose. Write a reflection on how you think things could have unfolded.

Philip Marlowe, private detective, reached for the remote control as the final credits rolled across the television screen. The sound was abruptly cut off.
“Well, that was … enlightening. I need a drink. Business first though.”
Marlow reached across his desk and picked up the phone.
“Hello, operator? Get me Howard Hawks.”

‪‪‪

Howard Hawks entered the café and on seeing Marlowe beckon, took a seat opposite him. Marlowe leaned forward, and braced his arms on the table.
“Pleasure seeing you again Hawks. Would you like a drink and some idle chitchat, or should I get straight to the point?”
“No thanks. Why did you want to see me?”
“Well, Hawks,” Marlowe, replied, “as a matter of fact, you stole my character.”
“Pardon...”
“You stole my character, and I want to know why you manipulated him.”
“I’m not quite sure I understand Mr. Marlowe.”
“Right then. Let me explain. That new film of yours, “The Big Sleep”, it destroys me and what I stand for. You made a mockery of my business and any decent Film Noir movie I’ve even seen. You should be ashamed.”

Howard Hawks leaned back into the worn café chair.
“In which particular scene have I offended you? I did tell you I would make slight changes to the Sternwood case after all.”
“We’ll start with that leading lady of yours – Vivian. You got her character all wrong. Contrastingly, to you auteur theory, she’s not independent. She relies on her father’s cash to pay for her gambling debts. She’s a femme fatale, and manipulated her father so slyly, he couldn’t see it. She certainly didn’t care about him, she cared about not gettin caught, and having enough money to feed her growing debt.

And while we’re on the subject, you took that whole love interest scenario a little too far. I told you I liked the girl, not that I was in love with her. I admired her … physical properties and feminine charm, not her mind! All women try to manipulate men. Vivian was no different. They are a threat to our ability to keep our heads in their presence. I certainly didn’t want to have a relationship with her, at least, not the ‘get the girl forevermore’, side of things.”

“But Marlowe, the romance widens our audience. We sell more tickets and make more money if we can create an appeal for both genders.”

“I don’t like the romance Hawks. The movie’s supposed to be film noir, not film Gris. It’s supposed to show how the world is becoming more corrupted. It’s a violent and vulnerable place to be. Organised crime is on the rise, even I can’t catch all the crims involved in a single case, and waddya mean “to make more money”,” Marlowe mimicked, “it’s the corrupting influence of money which contributes to crime. You got that part right in the film at least – the blackmail of the Sternwoods.”

Howard Hawks drew a pen and pad of paper from his breast pocket.
“OK Marlowe, what would you have done differently?”
“Well, if you really want my opinion, you left the best part out in the whole case – how I used the clues to find out whole killed Regan. I understand that changes need to be made so it would be worthwhile for the big screen, but you took the change in readership a little too far. Half the appeal of a good case is being able to solve the crime from the clues the detective finds. You should take a leaf out of them Golden Age detective novels for that!”

“I did use some clues Marlowe, in the signs and images. Didn’t you see the “Sternwood” house sign, Geiger’s notebook and the hidden camera in the Oriental head?”

“I saw em, but they didn’t tell the audience anything they could use. The cluse appeared to be significant to me alone. You only created an illusion of audience involvement.”

“Alright,” Howard Hawks replied furiously scribbling, “too much romance, not enough clues. Anything else?”

“Now, you mention it, the denouement. The murder of Eddie Mars by his own men was a stroke of genius, but Carmen shouldda been handed over to the cops. She killed Regan after all. I know what you’re gunna say, “You didn’t.” I know I didn’t and I should’ve, but Vivian had more of an effect on me than I thought. A guy can’t e immune to every pretty doll face who…”
Marlowe, paused, and reconsidered, “ who he meets.”

Howard Hawks smiled and stretched.
“I’ll go and talk it over with the production team, Marlowe. If we ever re-release the film, I’m sure we will take your... suggestions into account.”

“You won’t,”
“No. We won’t. Nice talking to you though.”
“I bet it was.”

Marlowe left his seat and strode towards the door. He called over his shoulder, “Don’t forget to pay the bill hawks. You can afford it.”

HSC
N/A
I like it!

Clear, simple, easy to read, good flow and sense of rhythm. Lots of textual references in there as well - markers will like that. Good work!

EDIT: Should draw attention to fact I didn't do Crime Fic, hence can only critique writing style, not piece in relation to module

Last edited:

Illidan

HSC
tanks! have to add a little bit cause it has to be 1500 word. would you mind reading it againwhen i've added to it?

illodous

Angels...
HSC
It's good, but you need to demonstrate a stronger understanding of both the hard-boiled and film noir genres through commenting on their conventions. You have done well on characterisation and values, in mentioning especially the femme fatale; and thus essentially answered the core of the questions. But don't forget to go one step further and talk about the genre values as well as character values, and also mention the conventions and how they HAVEN'T been used to demonstrate the typical values associated with the genre.

eg. Vivian doesn't embody all of the characteristics of the femme fatale.. nor does Marlowe subscribe entirely to the formulaic aspects of the HB sleuth.

lol sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was belitting you.

illodous

Angels...
HSC
OH! This is probably completely irrelevant, but maybe mention the fact that The Big Sleep we are studying is the director's cut and thus contains differences that are unfaithful to the original Chandler novel (which rocks mind you)

Illidan

HSC
i'm not sure if i can do that since we only studied the cut version, but since i read the book i could use that.......

hmmmmmmm influence of the Hayes production code in the opium scene!

Illidan

HSC
i'm not sure of how much of your comment i can indulde. i'm supposed to write about hoe your character i.e. marlowe has been manipulated.

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Hmm.. okay. One of those stupid closed-end questions.
Okay, well it's still a good idea to consider values.. values values values. think about your typical hard boiled genre values but think about this - The Big Sleep (particularly the Director's Cut) is a neo-noir, meaning it has subversions which don't really entirely classify it as one or the other.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Just to clarify and expand on illoduos' point, the version of the Big Sleep we study is the Directors Cut and so every answer should be looked at from the view that this text was *made* to be this way for one reason or the other as this involves the context.
If Marlowe was manipulated to be unfaithful to his character portrayal then you would ideally be looking at not only the why, but how his character was transformed between versions...the romantic link being one example, the death of Carmen being another.

Illidan

HSC
konda hard to do that if you haven't seen the version before the original, bur if you said it happened, i'll believe you.

illodous

Angels...
HSC
lol! I suggest you rock on down to your video store and get the Big Sleep Director's Cut DVD... and make sure it has the special features DVD. I'm saying this because if you watch the extra footage, it has an editor commenting on where and how the original and DC are different from each other and why.

Illidan

HSC
sounds good to me. So, the alteration of the ending was to boost the romantic relationship betwn bacall and bogart, and to create higher populist appeal?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Please post it!

Speaking of which, mind if I post mine too? Totally coincidentally, I have the same question, except I based mine on the character of Sailor from Anil's Ghost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)